Manufacturing, is it only for the "big boys"

In that case you shouldn’t use it.
But if using a decryptor add 9 runs to a 1 run invention, you save invention time and cost despite de chance reduction.

Just think that if they are so expensive this is because some use them.

1 Like

A huge part of this is upwell structures, manufacturing plants can be specialized into construction as well, reducing the cost of production, which makes for cheaper prices. On ships that were already marginal, this can be the boost that breaks the bank so to speak.

I am new into the whole industry part. I mostly do market and research but the competition is really fierce and the BPCs I have don’t sell well. I was to learn all of this with the corporation I am in but the CEO decided to leave the game. He gave the corporation to his friend, who doesn’t know how to do any of this so I am floating around again trying to figure out the market. I have 273 market orders available and only use 45 at the most due to isk restrictions.

Any advice?

From what i can tell you. You just have to do some research on the regional market. You can make nice margins even with t1 stuff.margin ranges between 30-100%. Ofc there is the factor when are you selling. you can also eat your margin really easy by selling at the wrong time. And after a while of training you can start moving towards t2 production where the initial investment is much larger but so is profits!. Do some research on selected items to know when to sell them. you can also use that advice for speculation purposes aswell

I reply because I see people say “margin bla”. This is bad. I explain you what I do and why with examples the margin is not what I use.

I personally make some math on a daily basis :

• buying at SO in jita
  • selling at BO in jita (removing taxes)
  • I consider taxes, indexes, structure type, skills to have an exact value of the r&d costs.
  • I compare the benefit of invention+manufacture cycle over the time of copying+invention+manufacture. This is the net SOBOpH
  • I then factor in my connection time (let 's say 12 hours) and modify the previous invention+manufacture+copy time to reflect this.
  • Then check if some decryptor can help increase this SOBOpH
  • Then check the price for 1, 2, … cycles untill this SOBOpH (which decreases as I need to consider less interesting BO and SO) reaches 90% of the value for 1 cycle. This is the number of cycles available, I usually only make half because other people may fill the BO before I do.

This lead to several item with a ratio of ~2M/h SOBOpH . eg right now

• I made standup m-set moon drilling efficiency II with a ratio of 10M/h(never got that high) but there was very few BO so I had to make only one ; and the margin was only 5% I think. The SO price has since risen a bit so they are only worth 7M/h with 3% margin
  • I made several moon ore mining crystals II that sold @1M2/unit here the margin was pretty high but the net isk/hours was pretty low (because the cycle duration is actually ~1h). Then I was fed up with people playing the .1 isk and I used the few crystals I had remaining to crash the market.(put 1 SO order at 100k less - everybody follows - repeat)
  • I can build aurora S for a 76% margin. however the net income is 430k/hour which is incredibly low, though I could do it since the 6h cycle duration, is actually not that bad.
  • mjolnir rage torpedoes have a 51% margin right now and a net income over 2M/hour. That means there are some of the most interesting offers.

Of course I actually put BO for materials, and try to have a good stockpile of provisions, which means my net income is higher. but on the other hand I don’t take hauling cost into account.

I’m not a big boy. I just try to have fun and not to waste money in activities. I still need several fucktons of spreadsheets. and to update the cost indexes everyday.

Wow! Youve taken industry to new level for the small guys. If im totally honest with you i think youre trying take those calculations a bit too far for most players that is. All you need to make profit as a small indy player is to just check the blueprints and decide if the volume and margin is high enough for your needs. T2 production is another subject where you indeed need some calculations to decide if the profit is high enough to be worth building. It takes few weeks to scale up your production step by step from 20mil networth to 1bil networth.

not unless you’ve got a army of alts

Actually re thinking after the disagreement. You are right it takes more than 2weeks. My alt has gone to 880mil in 3weeks but i injected myself with 1 skill injector. Althou i play about 8 hours in a week.

ok actually, I need to be honest too : I don’t make any calculation. I have a program that makes everything for me, but place BOs. I guess I could simply specify the system and let the program fetch the cost indexes but it does not fit in my GUI.
Also this program lists my jobs so I don’t need to open Eve to be sure I don’t miss any.

The real issue is when fetching orders from the market. I do it massively parallel with several local caches and it still takes ~ a minute. And if I do it after DT the server hits my error rate and I can’t use it for an hour or so.

You don’t really need a “program”, a simple excel spreadsheet does the job just fine, or was that what you meant?

Not competing in the trade hubs has upside and downside, especially for small scale T2 manufacturing. Upside is higher margins for manufactured goods. Downside is slower turnover, more volatile prices for raw materials, and a greater need to babysit your listings.

I’m not a big boy and I profit from industry. I do it because I like it. It’s a nice income, but I make more from scanning. If you don’t like it, it can become tedious in a hurry.

You’ll need to do some research before you dive in. First you’ll have to figure out what is profitable and what isn’t. Spreadsheets are easily accessible, but can be tedious to set up. There are some nice apps that have greater functionality, but I’ve been out of the game a while and am not sure what’s the best these days. Once you have your method of figuring out what is profitable, you then need to see what is in demand. The market tools can give you some clues. I suggest going through any corporation’s website to see what doctrine ships they have posted publicly as well as websites that list popular fittings. This way you can find out the modules that they need.

The rest of it is just logistics… if your WH has a static HS, you can set up a base of operations and pop out daily to keep up with your listings and your manufacturing lines. You’ll need to find a good system for you to conduct your operation. You may want to grind rep with an NPC corporation to reduce expenses. If you’re frequently wardec’d, you’ll need to either set up an out of corp hauling alt or pay a professional (and figure that overhead into your costs).

The rest is just a matter of keeping your research and industrial lines busy.

Again, it’s not as profitable as other game activities, but if you enjoy it then you can easily find a niche and use that niche to scale up.

a simple excel does simple things.
If you want accuracy, it is much more complex than just doing simple things.
If you want speed, it needs many complex mecanisms, such as caching and precaching the resources and prices.
I you want your program to adapt to CCP change you need much more than a simple spreadsheet.

If I want to know EXACTLY how many isks I will get per hour, I need to take into account every subtle part of the equation. Which a simple spreadsheet can’t, with speed, reactivity and adaptability in mind.

Very true, but I tend to do my market stuff on alts so I don’t want to have to go check on them every five minutes, which (for me) turns that downside into an upside :upside_down_face:

I’ve always found the opposite, outside the hubs you can leave your orders alone a lot more, after all you just said slower turn over (which I agree)… slower turnover means less checking & updating, you can’t have it both ways :wink:

All things you don’t need, you’re making a reasonably simple thing unnecessarily complicated, all you need to know is when the order runs out so you can go in & edit it (make a change of 0.1 ISK) to get the (almost) free extension of your order & how much the thing cost to make & market (so you don’t go & sell for less) you don’t need to know or record anything else.

Which are all things excel will do just fine…

One field for the current date & time (drawn from your PC’s clock) which you never change, one for the order expiry date, one for the calculation (using the prior two) of how long the order has to run & one for the item cost (or several for separate costs with another for the calculation) & you’re good to go.

A separate sheet with current & start date for manufacturing runs plus a calculation to tell you when the job runs finish if you’re using an alt for that you don’t look at every day.

Is all you really need to handle your production & marketing, everything else is in game on the fly.

I don’t get why you answer me, because you are obvioulsy on a different topic.

Well if we’re on different topics maybe you shouldn’t have answered me, then I wouldn’t have responded to your answer would I :smile: but no, it seems to me you’re the one who doesn’t know what they’re on about here, trying too hard with all that complicated chaff about “programs” :wink:

you were the one telling me I don’t need a program.

I tell you, I do. I even tell you why.

If you still think I don’t, that means you have no clue about what I do. That also means you didn’t read my first post where I explain what I do. Otherwise you would make suggestions with regard to this original post, and thus would be on the topic.

I tell you you don’t.

I mean, you think excel isn’t “accurate”, so you think it gets the math wrong do you :smile:

With that degree of understanding of the word “accuracy” how do you expect me to take anything you have to say seriously :wink:

I don’t expect you to understand anything.

keep your opinions.