Matari Tattoos On Non Matari

Again, there can be incidents of choice. I think to sum it better, Caldari as a rule of thumb tend to err to utilitarian and/or pragmatic reasons for tattoos and modifications, but there are always folk who think differently within any given group. You should visit the State and check it out some time to learn more.

1 Like

Truf. Lived there in my first private employment as a capsuleer. The Stateā€™s a lot more varied than Kim represents it to be.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve often heard people consider the Caldari Megas and Minmatar Tribes as similar (yet profoundly different) social construcs, would you say the idea has any merit? I wager you know more Caldari than I so youā€™d possibly have a better view.

2 Likes

From what I can tell, both as an outsider who lived there and as someone whoā€™s spoken with Pieter about this a few times, in some ways, yes. Thereā€™s a lot of similarity in the structure of distinct, largely independent hierarchies that interact and connect on the level of a shared common interest and shared historical background. Certain aspects of culture are common across all of the groups within the nation, while other aspects diverge sharply when comparing one sub-group to another. And that holds true when you extend it downward to the Corporate Subsidiary/Clan level, as well.

Similarly, thereā€™s a lot of commonality in the approach to community. We tend to labor for the benefit of the whole, as opposed to individual benefit. The biggest point of difference appears to be in the particular emphasis-points and where certain lines are drawn, but that varies from Corporation to Corporation, and Clan to Clan, anyway.

So in a lot of ways, yeah, I think thereā€™s clear signs of similar (in broad themes) socio-political conditions giving rise to similar (if not entirely convergent) social structures. Obviously, thereā€™s a lot of differences, but in broad strokes, the similarities are there, too.

3 Likes

A bit, yes. Caldari Megas show a lot of resemblance to our Tribes. Both play a large part in our sense of identity and consist of various sub-groups (Clans or subsidiaries) in which the members build their lives. Both tribes and Megas also work together to form the nationā€™s government. There are even similarities in our religions, as both involve spirits of nature and ancestor worship.

If we ever put this war behind us, I suspect our nations would get along quite well.

2 Likes

Until the fundamental difference between individual freedom and ā€˜for the good of the Corp/Stateā€™ clashes. Iā€™m one of the people who have spoken most loudly on Minmatar and Caldari cooperation and similarities, but recently people seem to have started to forget the significant differences that are also in play, and that does nobody involved any favors.

The only way a Caldari and Minmatar cooperation could work would be through understanding and respecting those differences, when the similarities are almost exclusively on the surface.

3 Likes

Maybe a new thread discussing the similarities and differences is in order? Iā€™m afraid I feel like Iā€™ve dragged this one off topic, and Iā€™m neither Caldari nor Minmatar!

1 Like

My full back tattoo of a scantily clad merman is okay though, right?

3 Likes

ā€¦ which bit is the man and which bit is the murr, and just how anatomically correct are we talking here?

1 Like

Need to know, Miz. Need to know.

2 Likes

Go for it!

1 Like

yna whatra solve all thisna cause ya ya complixated n so but

what if

matari were just less style

nothin else for it n everyeun knows that, only way to keep ya tats off shitty gallente trifleux is to be much less style about em. get ā– ā– ā– ā–  tats from now on. solvela! like they mean something anyway even if theyre ā– ā– ā– ā–  right? right?

dya have one that goes on your jonk?

4 Likes

No. Everything about that post, no.

1 Like

I have no idea what I just read hereā€¦are you okay? Do you need medical assistance? Do you smell burnt toast?

However, on a more serious topic, regarding tattoos and taking markings from one culture and wearing them on oneselfā€¦Iā€™m sort of on the fence. On one hand, I respect the heritage and tradition that lay behind the tribal tattoos. I also believe in personal freedom; I agree that teens need to be taught (almost constantly) about the importance of other cultures. I understand why a teen or early 20-something might look at a Matari tribal tattoo and, in an act of rebelling against some perceived norm, would go out and get inked just to pronounce their individuality. Is it right? Probably not and this is where patience and teaching need to take place.

Personally, tattoos ultimately need to mean something to the wearer and should never be made on the basis of ā€œI want to rebel against mom/dad/boss/cultural normsā€, etc. This is something that you are, in most cases, permanently marking your body with and ought to have very deep and significant meaning to you.

2 Likes

Just to note that in the Federation, there is nothing remotely permanent about tattoos. Unless you are very, very poor, cosmetic removal of tattoo marks is trivial with modern technology. People fond of body art change it all the time.

On the wider topic, trying to manufacture outrage about cultural appropriation is daft in a cluster of trillions of people. My own clan attaches significance to tattoo marks because we know the person and their history. If stranger visits, we expect them to tell us the story of their home and kin, which may or may not be reflected in their tattoos, scars, demeanour and honours. Without their story, they are but a ghost. Among the millions of clans, there are millions of different traditions reflected in their body markings.

A tattoo inked onto a Gallente has no story behind it. It is therefore meaningless, and not worthy of a second thought.

2 Likes

wues

srsment imagine if it was jos a spiriteux thing the way is supposeds n not aesthetic

imagine the spiriteux was the olnly n mos importants thing happpening n everybody knew that n could say so

it could look like anything n men a same thing, same fotrune ā– ā– ā– ā–  or whatever it is when matari do ā– ā– ā– ā–  on their faces and be all THIS IS MY LIFE ā– ā– ā– ā–  WHAT YES THIS IS IT

but no it looks cool

pure coincidence right?

na

they style

mus reapon the conesquence on stylen which is people bein all ā€œes styleā€ n havin it

2 Likes

It worries me greatly when Saccade Amir makes more sense than most of the Matari in the thread.

1 Like

Most of the Matari in this thread arenā€™t miserable balls of hatred like you, maybe thatā€™s the problem.

10 Likes

Assuming makes anā€¦ well you know how it goes. It will never cease to amaze me how angry and salty you lot are about someone who really isnā€™t very angry nor hateful. Is it your insecurities flaring up? Is it that nagging feeling that youā€™re not taking any real stands? Is it perhaps that you simply canā€™t stand someone not caring about your hurt widdle feelings? Is it that I save up my empathy and joy for those who actually matter in my life, rather than the boorish dullards of the IGS?

ā€¦ perhaps itā€™s that in spite of your desperate need for this person you donā€™t like to be ā€œmiserable balls of hatredā€, Iā€™m actually damn near happy these days? Are you perhaps so blinded by what you need me to be so you can dismiss it as ā€˜hatefulā€™, that you canā€™t imagine these IGS posts delivered with a smile or a grin?

Allow me to assure you, thereā€™s a genuineā€¦ what do the Frogs sayā€¦ ā€œjoye de vivreā€ behind almost every one of these posts, or off-handed snark on the Summit or UnderSummit. I wouldnā€™t go so far as to say I laugh at you, but itā€™s starting to get quite close when I see a rather generalized, acerbic line with a smidge of dry humor, acknowledgment of the surreal and suchā€¦ be responded to in a way that can only be interpreted as a kneejerk response to a perceived slight. Is there even any skin left, thick or thin, I wonder?

1 Like

Whatever you say.

1 Like