Mercenaries - A good idea?

How fantastic this new version of Eve sounds!!

I seriously don’t think the npc mercs would need much skilling to be effective for new players, otherwise they wouldn’t be mercs.

It’s really nothing more than a lot of highsec carebears whining instead of HTFU, though. We already have enough of that, and I am glad to know that we will never see this kind of change take place in EVE.

4 Likes

Then keep exploring, because in all fairness your proposition is not suitable (but only to you, unless proven there be a need for alike-minded 1k other players) to Eve online. What initially appeared to be well proposed OP, is actually along this thread, revealing to be unresearched, unprepped and suiting only a very small audience. It is common sense to seriously ponder on alternative solutions first, and then later propose an idea, to the world.

And if you happen to be playing in a different Time Zone (tz) from the majority (because you cannot seem to find the ‘right’ person to team with, then I’d propose that you work it out on your own and try to fit it the popular tz - wake up earlier and sleep a bit later maybe? Do not expect the game mechanics to suit you timing when you are being too slack to reach out in the first place. Nothing in life is straight away, HTFU please.

You make several extreme assumptions about me. I suggest you stick to fact based points about Eve as opposed to trying to distinguish character flaws about myself when you have no idea who I am.

If you want to make a point please do it without getting personal. It’s irrelevant and ultimately exhausting to read on a game forum.

Otherwise I totally respect your opinions.

Wrong, when many experienced people keep telling you something and you ignore them, you become the point.

1 Like

Fact: your OP and the uneducated (in-game or otherwise) way you’ve been dealing with this whole thread, actually reveals your flaws, and / or your inexperience of the game itself.

Actions speak louder than words dear, and in spite of the hundreds counter argument that have been outlined, by other more experienced players and myself previously, in appears that you only want to keep badgering with same the agenda. And this only begs the question, do you really ‘respect’ the experienced ones opinions?

What experience?

I thought you were doing well for a second, and then you became corrupt.

lol, in-game experience dear what else?

Anyhow, I’ll let all this marinate a bit, sleep on it and rethink your approach.

When a poster switches from Vet-splaining why EVE is perfect as it is to argumentum ad hominem you’ve learned two things:

• They’re all out of rational arguments
  • They could never have been persuaded even if you could mathematically prove you were right.

Remember: they think that any suggestion for improvement is a harsh and unjustified criticism of EVE, and that by making the suggestion you proved that you are the problem :slight_smile:

FWIW I think the idea is good, and practical even in today’s EVE, but is bumping into some flaws in EVE that may never be dealt with.

Practical because the game includes adequate NPC AIs and other necessary components, and (hopefully) the logic used for existing combat missions could also be utilized. OTOH there doesn’t seem to be any in-game logic that could be re-purposed for implementing suitable limitations and “abuse-avoidance” - if so, it wouldn’t be trivial to implement this.

1 Like

Are you cooking something?

Thanks. You perfectly summarised the feedback on this thread. After your perfect summary nothing more needs to be said.

Live long and prosper Elena.

Are you sure you can’t think of any group in High-Sec who could misuse an extra 150-900 DPS on their ships… really…

This would be an absolute win for suicide gankers!

Suicide tankers can’t use mercs.

Well that would be a bit inconsistent right? In a universe of EVE where everything can be bought with ISK, people can pay mercenaries to fight for them, but some people cannot do so?

Real player mercenaries would be able to help anyone for ISK, friendship or other services. Why should NPC mercenaries be limited to some people only?

(And why does this sub-group of people who can benefit of these NPC mercenaries happen to include your personal playstyle but not the playstyle of people who are a danger to you?)

1 Like

For that demographic Elite: Dangerous and/or No Man’s Sky exist. Feel free to go play a single player game instead.

Terrible idea is terrible.

2 Likes

Funny that you say that only when someone agrees with you. It must be lonely living in that echo chamber by yourself.

1 Like

Remind me to be sure, if this idea goes in, to camp you into whatever station you’re in with 10 alts that all have 900 dps worth of mercs. You know, to show my appreciation for the feature.

Drones ARE mandatory for PVP right now.
What harm does having npc allies do?

It would be an isk sink
It could be tied to a station service mod, which consumes more resources
It would give content to those seeking pvp content
It would give cover for the small group/single man if they wanted it

There’s not enough players in eve currently to really flesh out the experience. Adding in npcs in this manner would be a step forward. Sure, don’t make them as good as diamond npcs, and it would probably be good to restrict the players ability to adjust what ships are flown and such

I take it you don’t play other games. A massive amount of other MMOs have npcs and other AI controlled assistant style things.

2 Likes