Mobile Observatories is utter useless - change my mind

Mobile Observatories is useless.

AFK campers need only be at the keys once every 10 minutes. You even get a warning on screen when decloaked. Botters really have an easy time reacting to the decloak. Meanwhile to catch them you have to be constantly scanning and react fast if a signature appears. You get no notification that something has been decloaked. This is utter fail by CCP to make a counter that’s really not a counter after all.

It’s never enough with carebears, they always more.

8 Likes

Sorry but they have changed the game for the better. They are not an I win button and are not meant to be, but anyone deciding to sit in a system while cloaked, either at work or in bed can be located and removed. I rather like them and we have got kills with them. And they counter AFK cloaky camping perfectly.

2 Likes

You will never catch a cloaky camper who is actively at the keyboard, observatory or not. But that was the whole idea of the observatory in the first place. To put an end to AFK cloaky camping, which players have been whining about for years. And now that cloaky campers have to be at the keyboard in order to not get caught, you’re still whining about it…

6 Likes

They are because they make a sound when activated system-wide.
So even if the player is AFK. as long as they can hear or have some way of relaying that sound they will never get caught. It’s crap. They need to remove the sound from them.

Even if it made no sound whatsoever, if I’m sitting right there at the keyboard, you would never catch me anyway. If I happen to get decloaked by it, you have about 2 seconds to find me before I recloak and warp to a new safe, which isn’t going to happen…

I have a question. Do you even need to warp anywhere? I know there is delay to re-cloak after cloak has been deactivated, but I don’t know what it is (at max skills).

Lets assume that the cloak hunter is staying at the same place. Lets assume that nullseccers already found him on dscan in previous de-cloak cycle and they are waiting with combat probes ship and probes placed on approaximate spot he should be for the next decloak cycle to run analyze the moment the observatory procs.

Can they even make it in time? With max scanning skills and ship fitted to fast scanning? What happens when the ship cloaks by the end of the probe analyze cycle? And that is assuming that single scan will be enough, which is very generous assumption.

As I said, if a cloaky camper is actively at the keyboard, you will never catch them. The re-cloak time on a Recon ship like the Falcon, for example, is 5 seconds. And in that 5 seconds, I will have already warped and cloaked up on the way to the next safe.

Another fun thing to do is to use an extremely fast ship like a Vagabond or MWD fitted interceptor to warp to zero on the sun and burn towards it. Burn several thousand km’s towards it and they can’t warp to you even if they probe you down, because it will dump them thousands of km’s away from you at the warp-in point. It takes a few hours, but you can actually fly inside of the sun, cloak up, and they will never be able to find you. Ever. They would have to manually pilot and search hundreds of thousands of kilometers of space to find you because they can’t warp to you. Good times.

1 Like

Okay, but what I am asking is if it is even possible to scan you down by those 5 seconds that you need to re-cloak. Ie. do you even have to move at all?

As I see it, the defender must wait for you to make mistake. Which is exactly what you as cloaky hunter wait for them to do too.

So it seems to me that nullsec dwellers lacks the patience to wait for that mistake on your side or they simply assume you will never make a mistake so there is no point.

1 Like

Moving is probably not necessary, but I do anyway just to be safe. And you’re right, you’d have to make a mistake in order for them to catch you.

I even named one of my ships Pixel Fear just for the lulz…

They are stupid and way too powerful - the fact that you have to decloak to prove you are not AFK is the worst mechanic ever. Coupled with local, makes the perfect free intel even more perfect.

No, but if you are cloaked on grid, you wouldn’t want to decloak and recloak right there. So you would warp off first.

Lol nothing will ever be enough will it?

If they are actually afk they can’t hurt you.

Why would you say that? A lot of scientific research and discovery has occured due to mobile observatories… What do you have against science and planetary study?

I am happy to not jump in to the industry of these, even though some materials Frostpacker is already producing other PI materials that go into those.

epithal

/
That’s right stolen right under [Pen Is Out] nose!

They use to catch me jumping from [Hagilur 0.4] to [Bel]
This is my local log from today with this stolen haul
---------------------------------------------------------------

Channel ID:      local
      Channel Name:    Local
      Listener:        Iceacid Frostpacker
      Session started: 2022.08.10 23:25:48
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

[ 2022.08.10 23:25:57 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Uttindar
[ 2022.08.11 00:50:20 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Bei
[ 2022.08.11 01:15:45 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Uttindar
[ 2022.08.11 01:48:00 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Bei
[ 2022.08.11 01:53:07 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Hagilur
[ 2022.08.11 01:54:33 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Ragnarg
**[ 2022.08.11 01:59:59 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Hagilur**
[ 2022.08.11 02:00:41 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Bei
[ 2022.08.11 02:01:52 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Colelie
[ 2022.08.11 02:04:58 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Deltole
[ 2022.08.11 02:06:24 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Aufay
[ 2022.08.11 02:07:34 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Balle
[ 2022.08.11 02:09:18 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Du Annes
[ 2022.08.11 02:10:26 ] EVE System > Channel changed to Local : Renyn

/
Change your mind you ask? If you make it, someone will buy it!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.