My idea is simple introduce crew compliment on ships

Meh, it’s just me I guess. I don’t like any idea that can be farmed. You already have sp injectors. Everybody wants more without knowing how to use it hoping it will save them.

2 Likes

Any game change or idea that is implemented will instantly be abused/exploited/farmed by nullsec blocs…

2 Likes

And just reiterate, I got my 1st pvp kill within 30 days of joining up. In this game at least, you’re better off with good friends than a good ship’s crew.

You can try to pound home the need for experience, but it just doesn’t seem to get through…

Edit; Everyone wants to be a top gun from the start. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yea I like the idea of a ship becoming better the longer it survives because of the crew, it shouldn’t be a thing where you just make a ship and insert best crew.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re in support of Drogon’s idea then? How would you propose handling ship metadata? Just wipe crew xp when the ship is repackaged?

1 Like

I guess the question would be would it be a problem if people sold the ship’s with upgraded crew, if not then yea reset on repackage.

Having a separate market tab for each veriation would be unviable and would end up like contract’s of abyssal mod’s.

What type of thing’s do you think a crew would be able to upgrade without it becoming a nightmare to balance ship’s? Like I think swapping low/medium/high slots or hardpoint’s would become problematic.

2 Likes

The main issue is how the market handles meta data. I’m fairly certain it strips all of that data when you repackage an item. But if it didn’t, the current market interface isn’t really capable of handling the display of all the various modified stats you would get from crew modifications. This is why a plasmid modified item can only be sold through contracts, not directly through the market (just like you mentioned in the following paragraph.)

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I think the way to balance it would be to have veteran crew be equalized to current ship balance, and then have one level past that level be a pure buff to what we currently have so the community doesn’t just cry about nerfs. (So out of 5 levels, the 4th level is what you would balance based on. My previous example just had 3 officer levels, so the first 2 crew levels in a 5 level system could be considered regular enlisted.)

These bonuses wouldn’t be large, I said 1-5% before, but I’m thinking they should really just be 1% per crew level proficiency now to prevent them from having an overly large impact. As to what you can modify, I think every ship stat is viable, and the larger the ship, the more officers the ship would utilize.

As for modules slots or hardpoints, they’re just crew, it doesn’t make sense that they would change the base hull of the ship.

I used the example of a Rupture before. Flying that ship, and firing the bonused projectile weapons would give your gunnery officer bonuses toward medium projectile weapons (rate of fire, damage, falloff, optimal, tracking are all possible options. What skills they gain would be random, but I would suggest their skills would be weighted toward things they have difficulty doing. So, if you miss your target a lot, the xp would be weighted toward giving a tracking buff, and if your firing at the edge of falloff a lot, then the officer may get a bonus toward maximum falloff.)

1 Like

Your all still forgetting if CCP can even pull this off. :grimacing:

1 Like

Such a comment isn’t really worth considering, as it can be applied broadly to every topic in this part of the forum. A good idea stands on its own merit regardless if people can implement it successfully or not. Its certainly valid to bring up technical challenges, but just accusing CCP of being bad isn’t helpful.

2 Likes

A good idea is one that is possible.

1 Like

The proposed idea is very possible, and is hardly ground breaking.

1 Like

And you have CCP’s word on this?

1 Like

I got no more use for this guy! - YouTube

What more needs to be said.

I don’t need their word on it, because I know enough about programming to understand the basic concepts in play. If you want to troll, maybe go elsewhere, I’m not interested.

:roll_eyes: Your doing a fine job of trolling, please continue,

Well the crew has the same functionality as rig’s once placed you cannot take it off again. So yea the only difference is it would be a slot that hasn’t been opened up yet, and CCP already proved they can add more slots on the fitting screen with all the Deco stuff coming our way.

I like Rail’s Idea that it fills in your weak spot’s as you fly it, so if you are missing 50% of the time within range it slowly upgrades your tracking speed at the cost of range or if you are constantly firing out of range it lowers your tracking speed and gives you a buff to range.
Maybe the different meta levels give different conversion rates:

meta 1-3 +30% -40%
meta 4-5 +30% - 30%
meta 6-9 +40% - 30%
Meta 10+ 50% - 25%

Maybe you can buy the type of crew that specializes in something: Maybe they adjust over the course of 10 hours of active play and then solidify in that state:

Resistance (Armor or shield) Crew - Fills in your resistance hole’s depending on what type of damage you get hit with the most.

Application Crew - Tracking vs range

Damage Control Crew - Damage vs rep amount

Resource Crew - Cpu vs Power grid (It shift’s depending on how much of each you have left, so after 10 hours you can change your fit with the different resources available.)

Stability Crew - Cap vs cap resistance (if you are always out of cap after 10 hours you have better cap but are more vulnerable to neuts or visa versa you are always above 30% cap and gain more neut resi at the cost of cap.)

1 Like

And just reiterate, I got my 1st pvp kill within 30 days of joining up. In this game at least, you’re better off with good friends than a good ship’s crew.

You can try to pound home the need for experience, but it just doesn’t seem to get through…

Edit; Everyone wants to be a top gun from the start. :roll_eyes:

This is probably the main reason this idea will never make it into the game.
Imagine having to think and plan.
This does fit with today’s players that want instant gratification and anything more than f1 jockeys is too much work.

Mol, I don’t know what you’re harping about. It doesn’t even feel like you’re responding to the same topic.

Completely irrelevant to this conversation

Another weird comment. You’re effectively saying, “you’re better off playing with friends than having mods fit to your ship.” Yeah, maybe? But they’re two entirely separate aspects of the game. One is social, and the other has to do with game mechanics. (We’re not talking about multi-crewed ships that have multiple players flying a single ship.)

I’m not even sure what you’re responding to here. It’s like we’re having a conversation about baking a cake, and you’re over there complaining about drunk drivers.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about with officers, though my proposal allowed for swapping crew in and out, through a module like system. Crew wouldn’t be permanently attached to the ship, but also requires the player to pay a fee for the crew contract (whether that be monthly, bi-annually, annually, or longer.)

Speaking of officer specialization: If you start out from basic crew they wouldn’t be specialized, unique game items, but just the standard “crew” item that already exists in the game. Once they develop some xp they would be assigned a role on the ship based on a slot they’re fit into. (Engineering, navigation, gunnery, ect.) This second stage turns them into unique game items, with all the associated meta data attached to them.

Crew Bay: a crew themed cargo hold with a minimum requirement in order for the ship to leave the station / structure. Every station or player structure would have basic crew seeded by the system. We can effectively treat these like ammo charges in terms of game design.

L0 basic crew in officer slot: no bonus, fills the requirement for having crew on the ship
L1 petty officer: 1% bonus to specialization
L2 ensign: 2% bonus to specialization
L3 Lieutenant: 3% bonus to specialization (veteran rank)
L4 Commander: 5% bonus to specialization (elite rank)

(Its important not to get the bonuses blown out of proportion, lest you wreck game balance.)

One of the greater benefits of doing it this way is customizability and character. You’re familiar with how modules work, so I wont need to speak about that, but, if every crew member gets a randomly generated portrait (this could be done on the fly, or just drawn from a database,) that will add a bit of personalization to the crew and help players feel a bit more attached to them.

I also mentioned previously about the potential for CCP to draw on retired ship officers to serve as future game npc’s.

You can of course, do the same thing with your version of the proposal. The crew section of the ship could display portraits of officers and have bonuses attached to them on that screen. (In both proposals, all of those bonuses would be tallied and the end result would be shown in the fitting and “show info” windows.) To me, at least, it will just feel a bit artificial having crew be permanently attached to a ship rather than have the ability to be moved around or picked up by other players.

1 Like

Make crew a resource like anything else - they have to be produced. So, temperate planets, would be assumed to be populated, and you can put down academy modules, that recruit from the population to produce crew members. These would typically be able to attain T2 (with maxed out facilities) crew, but some % would be T1 and get a tag that basically makes them gain experience much slower, and then some % could go as high as T4, and get a quick learner bonus. Alternatively, on Barren planets, facilities could be put down to produce clone crew, which train much faster, are more expensive to produce, and will always create a T2 clone that learns quickly (if the skills are developed fully). Upon attaining level 5, crew has a % chance to refuse further employment and leave to become a capsuleer. Higher leadership skill, less likely for them to depart.

1 Like

That is a pretty sick idea tbh, maybe they train faster in lower sec status systems because they have to go through less paper work. Or their specializations could be added while training - certificates bought from lp stores all different ones.

Can you crew be dropped on death of your ship?