My plea to CSM - change high-sec ganking for freighters/JFs

As a long time PvP turd pirate I actually agree with OP’s post.
I see a lot of “it’s your fault”” you were full of loot” (which is almost a good argument) except if you go to the kill boards and look at all the high sec gank losses most of them didn’t have to the loot to warrant the kill (almost every jumpfreighter kill on there). They were killed because they were a shiny easy to gank ship for the kill board. And to be clear forming up a gang is sooo easy with discord pings nowadays.

And as for citing all the other reasons, a big thing to consider is THIS GAME IS DIEING! cry Old players are slowly getting older and leaving which is normal, but new players aren’t coming in and staying. Our daily server counts sit at 1/4 of what they use to be, and making high sec safer won’t chase off us old people, so make it safer in the hopes that when a new person joins the game they find it enjoyable without getting exploited or blasted and stick around long enough to venture into low/null to give us a chance to exploit and kill them fairly.

So, lock safeties to yellow then? Give Concord a permanent vacation?

What about all the freighters that are yoinked that aren’t full of shiny loots?

What about all the freighter kills that weren’t full of loots?

Random idea, make concord actually like most law enforcement agencies around the world. If you break it you buy it?

Example - If I go drive my $1000 ford fiat down to a Lamborghini dealership and torch it. They aren’t just going to burn my fiat and call it even. They will make me pay for it. So maybe make all players involved responsible to pay for the losses, or concord will continually pursue them in high sec until the debt is paid in isk or blood.

I’m not sure where you get that. The last 3 jump freighters that were ganked were over 20B:

And none of the freighters were empty. All have at least 2.5B in value:

Had you have looked at the other numerous threads involving HSG on these forums I think you would not have posted this as you would have seen the way those other threads went, It was nice that you got some decent replies rather that the constant vitriol and malice that normally accompanies them.

I’m curious about something a little different. You have lost a freighter and a jump freighter, with a significant ISK loss of cargo but also the ships themselves, especially the JF and yet a couple of times you say you were unaware of the risk?

Are you saying that you took the time to train into those vessels and i presume had used them before and yet seriously had no idea whatsoever that freighters get ganked, and that the reason why they get ganked generally is because they are carry a hefty amount worth of stuff? I find that difficult to believe that as a JF pilot you have zero idea of the potential risks of carrying 7b and 9b isk worth of stuff respectively. That JF loss was in 2015, surely you must have come across something in the 5 years since relating to those risk, even with time away.

2 Likes

14 of the 19 on the first page had less the 1 Billion in them… next

We’d have to ask them I guess. There is a big 0.0 war going on. It is a known fact that these blocs will also gank their enemies haulers when they know who they are. Probably even empty.

That being said, it is a function of the game. I have made billions hauling for Push over the years. I have not yet lost a frieghter or JF. There are easy tactics to avoid 99% of ganks.

Oh and both my son (14) and now a friend of his have been capsuleers for at least a year. One has even partaken of the HSG (not my son thank goodness!). Granted that’s only 2, but there are new players coming in.

There are couriers willing to work for less than the same value as Metal Scraps per jump. As long as you are competing with that then I think there is nothing wrong at all with highsec hauling. Let the killing and ganking continue forever…

Jump Freighters… oh my mistake, you are one of those characters.

Shame on me for feeding the troll!

o/

1 Like

@Maschine I used to be among the loudest and most forefront and ignorant of carebears, particularly when it comes to my opposition to HSG as reprehensible and completely unacceptable. I’m sure if I go back on my forum history I’ll find some cringy posts that are complete reversals of my position today acquired after having acquired knowledge and experience. I know where you are coming from, but I also know where you can end up after being educated.

Suicide ganking is dynamic and exciting gameplay for all those involved who are educated in how to do it and how to avoid it. Very frequently honorable gankers reach out to victims and educate them on how to avoid ganks, even reimbursing them (usually exceeding value of loss) - and there are a not insignificant number of honorable gankers in EVE, and no shortage of resources to learn how to enjoy HSG as a thrill on both sides. Example: Join Hauler’s Channel , look at the Red Frog or PushX wiki, and I cannot emphasize enough that fleetmates are the gold standard for accomplishing any and all tasks in EVE.

I guess some are missing the point. I agree HSG is fun, I have done it! Once again yar! The question is. Would any of you quit if that part of the game was made harder or not profitable? I know I wouldn’t it’s just one aspect of being a pirate. but I have seen this post many times in the past and people have left. OP is thinking about it and numerous others have in the past, that’s ~$130 usd/ person a year not going to CCP and less players in the eve universe.

This is a slippery slope toward neutering PVP as a whole to make it easier for those who refuse or are incapable of learning PVP and would rather the game change for them instead of them changing for the game. Imagine how bland EVE would be if carebears also had their way with LS and NS, too. EVE is not for everyone, and it doesn’t pretend to be. Some players don’t belong here. We need to focus on increasing educational outreach to those who are willing to learn and adapt, and not bother with those who are unwilling or incapable of doing so.

Also: Removing HSG would be damaging to EVE’s economy (HSG serves as excellent inflation control) and power structure (literally imposing chokes on distribution of wealth and power, which is a core component of PVP in EVE).

Never forget rule #1 of EVE: Undock is your consent to PVP. This should not change, not even in Hisec, outside of the conditions specified in the Rookie Griefing policy (if you own a freighter, you’re not a rookie).

It is definitely a slippery slope. And I’m not for making it impossible or adjusting null/low sec. I’m just saying if people wanna high sec gank make them pay it. Care Bears have no recourse as is. The current system of kill rights is a joke. I can just have my Corp mate blow up my noob ship once a kill right is active and done! I’m kinda even ok with concords response time. Even though they are a joke.

And I’m aware this game isn’t for everyone, no game is, except maybe candy crush… but we need to make this game appeal to more individual unique players, not alts to keep it alive.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, I have a crazy idea

Gankers use fleets to HSG, right? Why not use fleets to mitigate HSG? Like… logi and self-webbers to accelerate warpouts?

Yea I have seen a lot of those Hull repping logi ships in eve that can counter a Hord of cheep fit destroyers… and what’s the lock time of a destroyer to a freighter vs it’s warp-time after decloaking being targeted by webbing ult, web time and warp out again… harder yes, but just slightly. So a slightly harder time tanking but really the same for the ganking hord. Vs the other guy now has to have multiple account or form a gang to play normally and still not really any safer.

Penguin, surely you realize that HSG has been nerfed repeatedly over the years. What difference will more nerfs make? Pirates will adapt. Clueless haulers will not.

3 Likes

Oh it has been by comparison though it’s nowhere nearly safe as it use to be to fly a freighter as when they first came out. Attack ships have gotten way more powerful and freighters have remained stagnant in comparison.

Not really. Gank fleets have just gotten bigger.