Nerf Ganking Megathread

If you wanted to remove tethering completely for all players, that’s a proposal I’d agree with you on. Tethering does not make sense to me if people can just dock up instead.

If it is supposed to replace the POS shield, it’s a poor replacement when bumping a ship out of a shield is an exploit but bumping a ship off tether is trivial. If a ship is supposed to be protected, just let it dock and call it a day.

3 Likes

I honestly think it should be removed completely across the game and as such it would not be a nerf to ganking specifically.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t dispute this, and I’m not sure anyone else does.

You know what, I think I need to make some things clear…

People frequently make the argument that

1. because ship loss is guaranteed
  2. that means that ganking has no risk
  3. which means that ganking has a broken risk to reward ratio
  4. which means that ganking needs to be nerfed

Now, you may not have explicitly said points 3 and 4 (well, at least up until where I’ve caught up to), but I am inferring that that is the argument you are trying to make. Now, if I’m wrong about that, I’d appreciate it if you could specify exactly what your argument is then.

And, if that is the argument that you’re making, let be be clear in that I am not disputing that gankers factor guaranteed ship loss into their risk management strats -because they most certainly do. I am, however, disputing that ganking has no risk (for multiple reasons), that ganking has a broken risk to reward ratio, and that ganking needs to be nerfed.

So, if you want to argue about that we can.

And yet you’ve made common nerf ganker arguments, and disparaged gankers and ganking. Maybe you don’t think ganking needs a nerf, but you haven’t exactly given the impression that you value it as a play style.

2 Likes

I think of it as a net 0. As a miner I’ve used tethering to my advantage many times to thumb my virtual nose at people who would prefer I weren’t there. I just don’t think any of that gameplay is particularly fun for either side and it would not have bothered me to have to work a little harder as long as everyone else had to also.

3 Likes

Completely agree.

THE GROOSPBERRY

Once, there was a man who had a beautiful garden. He grew all the fruit and vegetables for his family’s needs, and sold the surplus at market, for a handsome profit.

His children did squabble a bit over which of his produce they liked the best, but the man decided that it didn’t matter because he had made sure there was always plenty to choose from.

One day, as he went out under the sun to weed his fruit patch, the man overheard his young daughter speaking to her older brother, at the top of her voice.

“I don’t like gooseberries, who does? But I am fond of raspberries – they’re just the best!” Then she had an idea.

“I would like gooseberries to change – just a bit – so that they tasted and looked less like gooseberries. That would be fair, and I would be happy. More people would eat them, and Father would make lots of money!

I don’t want to get rid of them completely, you understand, dear brother, just a few small changes; make them sweeter, slightly redder, perhaps with their little seeds on the outside. I’m sure that would be easy for Father.

I love berries, so I’m going to badger Father every hour of every day until he agrees to grow me a gooseberry-raspberry hybrid. A Groospberry!

Her brother sighed deeply, then spoke.

“Firstly, neither the gooseberry nor the raspberry is, in fact, even a berry. They are soft fruits, sister.

And secondly, I like gooseberries. If Father turns gooseberries into groospberries, how is that fair to me?” ……

And so it went on, until the sun began to decline to the west and the starlings to rise for their murmuration. The man smiled, pocketed his dirty trowel and trudged back towards the house.

4 Likes

I wish CCP would remove tether and treat Upwell structures with the same mechanics stations have.

3 Likes

I made you a good faith offer of real Eve Online content to help move your principles and outlook into concrete gameplay action and it still stands.

The fact that you have a feeling of bad faith inside has nothing to do with me and the sincerity of my offer.

1 Like

Not sure about that , from an ag point of view with large gank fleets it offers us some nice intell

Ah, the old ‘I’m the only person discussing in good faith’ trope. The last refuge of those who’ve weaved and spun all over the place with barely a consistent stance from one post to the next.

You mean most people disagree with you.

1 Like

Often, we humans look at the status quo as a given. IMO if ganking were removed from HS, said HS would become an insufferable unicorn land with smurfs, rainbows and fat miners sunning themselves on barge rooftops in bikini underwear. No sense of urgency whatsoever.

Does anyone really know what time it is? Meaning we don’t know (including myself) what HS would be without ganking. CCP is often criticized for not anticipating the results of their actions. The plain truth is, you don’t know what you don’t know.

I’m out of (bad) metaphors, better get some coffee.

1 Like

So you found out that some gankers actually have their afk miners too. This also includes afk ventures in low sec, unfitted afk deplexers in FW, afk haulers and so on.

Can you imagine the antigankers, because they didn’t comprehend EVE correctly, for years were simply trying to save isk making alts who just belong to enemies/whales? I am not mocking the antiganking community at all, but that just breaks my heart.

All those goods reaching the trade hub will just hurt us all in the market, plus those random unknown people will get richer and have more alts, buy more skill injectors…

Something tells me that you’re not a project manager.

I don’t know if you’re still around or not, but I didn’t call you an idiot. You misread what I wrote… like an idiot :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course, I still think you’re wrong about Eve’s fairness. But, I’m not going to make a wall of text if you’re not even going to read it.

1 Like

Githany says that most of the AFK and bot ice miners are gankers and you act as if this is only recent knowledge in AG circles. :roll_eyes: Blimey…

1 Like
1 Like

Id have thought providing evidence of the names behind the bots would be enough to turn people against those names, but I guess not?

At least Ive not seen this evidence

I don’t know what he who must not be named replied to you, but gank-haters won’t accept this.

You see, they refuse to aknowledge that tethering was also a nerf to ganking. But only as long until someone suggests something like this, when that happens is that carebears will say that they can’t accept that as that would be a buff to the gankers.

How can it be a buff if it didn’t nerf gankers before? :smiley:

Unfortunately we never do, not matter which claim it is being made.

This is a rather comical one though.

I can not speak for everyone, but Dracvlad agreed that it should be universally removed in a simple and straightforward statement. I do not think, as he does, that it is a particular boon to ganking because it would be difficult to exploit, but if he wants to try and exploit the opportunity to sniff out safes and ambush outlaws, I have no problem with giving up tether and the safety it provides me for the sake of more interesting gameplay. At least until someone gives me a good example of some benefit tether brings to the game as a whole.

3 Likes