Nerf Ganking Megathread

As you can see next to my name here I am an official veteran but I don’t undock with this character anyway so I can spare the ISK without worries. :upside_down_face:

The thing with the comment about, “CCP wants to take Eve in a more casual direction” wouldn’t this also change the contracts as we currenlty know them as?

Do you refer to the EULA?

Edit: Because if yes then yeah probably it would mean that will be updated as well. And no you can’t do anything about it they change the EULA all the time without your consent. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit2: Well technically by using the software after the EULA change you consent to it else you should no longer use the software.

1 Like

Meaning the ingame contract system and if not a EULA violation, you keep ISK or Items.

Wouldn’t softening down hardcore effect of New players into New Eden as it currently is would then change the ability to contract scam?

Well, they were talking specifically about ganking, but I have heard reports of GM’s reversing scams. Don’t know how often it happens, if it’s on the rise, or if CCP will change official policy, but I did see a screenshot from a correspondence with a GM. So, it’s happened at least once.

Depends how hard CCP wants to appeal to the lowest common denominator and how much they want people to be sheltered from their own mistakes. So yeah it is possible they will rework the contract system too and who knows what else.

But no idea what they plan and not even watched fanfest stuff, the little I’ve read about it is from the forums and it all just sounded underwhelming. Though curious what they change in regards to the FW, at least I might participate more in that aspect of the game in the future depending on the changes.

1 Like

A lot of ganking starts with the simple contract.

eg; Contract is created to look as trustworthy as possible to haul items from point A to B between systems with not much jump traffic and the trap is sprung as the contract has a expiry,

1 Like

The only way they’ll be able to further reduce high-sec PvP is if they accompany the reduction with NPC buy orders for resources and items (and then jack up the market taxes even further to compensate for that). Anyone looking at the kill board can fundamentally understand that new players aren’t the ones being killed in large numbers. If there’s any spillover from protecting truly new players toward established/veteran players, it will have to be addressed economically unless CCP is content with an economic “end-of-life” scenario for EVE, and they’ve shown that they aren’t through the addition of concepts like Trig and diamond rats.

Further nerfs will necessitate changing the gameplay loop to consist of selling resources and loot to an NPC-driven market, and then losing most of those proceeds by adjusting a few market orders two or three times. If people prefer that to occasionally losing a ship, well, there’s not much I can do about that. My opinion on the matter is outnumbered by the mainstream gaming population to such a degree that it can be effectively considered to be within the margin of error.

Once you leave starter system, you not newbro :smiley:

2 Likes

Blowing up someone with no tangible benefits.

That’s going to be hard to prove. Especially if it’s a bro like me that role plays as an environmental activest, speaking for the asteroids that are being torn apart by wonton miners who put profits over long term environmental impact.

Blowing up ships with no cargo.

So now we have to scan a ship to ensure that there is at least one scrap metal in it before blowing it up?
Does this also include the clearly abandoned MTU’s that litter the space lanes?

2 Likes

I fear it was propaganda , it also reassured gankers their play style was safe and reassured new player they are safe ish too, if they come under cruel attack (not that it happens that much )

Propaganda can be a good thing , it reinforces ideas and standards even if they are not under any real threat.

1 Like

Does enjoying pretty splosions count as benefit? :star_struck: Because it sure warms the heart which is quite the benefit to one’s mood. :wink:

Id say, yes it does.

I watched that ‘High Sec PvP’ part with utter bafflement !

1. ’ Tangible benefit’…without a cargo scanner how does anyone know what ‘tangible benefit’ will arise from zapping a ship ? So are CCP effectively saying that without a cargo scanner a person is not a ganker ?
  2. ‘Has no means to react’…every single ship in Eve has a potential means to react. Even a puny Venture can carry drones and can thus ‘react’.
  3. ‘No reason to expect being killed’…what ? This is Eve…‘don’t undock what you can’t afford to lose’ and all that. Maybe on specific missions attack may be un-expected, but in general a person should expect attack anywhere.
  4. ‘Does not understand motivation’…highly subjective. There are people in Eve who after 10 years don’t understand the motivation of gankers. Does this protection apply to them too ?
  5. ‘Blowing up veterans’…who exactly is a ‘veteran’ ? Does a person suddenly go from ‘noob’ to ‘veteran’ ?
  6. ‘Expensive ship’…every ship is expensive if you can’t afford it.
  7. ‘Precious cargo’…again, without a cargo scanner you have no idea what the cargo is. And in some ships cargo is hidden. Will one fall foul of the new rules if one ganks a ship with hidden cargo and it turns out to be empty ?
1 Like

I’m swelling with pride.

Kinda

1 Like

The current rules go further than just starter systems and include mission agent systems and SOE and various arc systems. In fact there’s a list of 35 systems noobs are protected in. For example Bourynes is a starter system ( its where I started ) but Trossere is an agent mission system. So noobs are protected in both. But ironically…in order to get from Bourynes to Trossere the noob has to pass through Vittenyn, which is not included in the list.

Just for clarity: Career agent system.

1 Like

High sec suicide ganking is ruining this game. No one can deny that.

Most of the people i know who quit EVE did so after losing ships to highsec ganking.

The reason why highsec ganking is extra frustraighting is that it ultimately completely breaks the immersion of the game. We are supposed to believe that the ships we fly around in are kilometer long, super valuable assets, manned by thousands or tens of thousands of crew members. To be exact, the immersion of the game is broken, when some ganker in this “fantasy - setting” tells his crew to all die and sacrifice themselves so they can attack a mining vessel because the ship is cheap enough to trade for his own (and crewmembers lives) - so basicly the whole crew has to die a horrible death getting blown to pieces by police entities, after achieving nothing in game really.

It breaks immersion - and you might not care about immersion, lore or a logically consistent universe/world, but ultimately you have to understand that EVE is a sci fi game fantasy game, and like any fantasy game, it has to exist in a somewhat realistic fantasy setting that makes sense. In any game this is important - but especially in MMO fantasy games where you play and build up the world/universe it is.

That is why highsec ganking (besides just making throngs of players quit) is so poisonous to the game - it has no ingame logic to it. You dont just sacrifice your entire crew for lulz. There is no in game explanation for such ganking, it breaks the logic and realism of the universe. Its just a way to abuse the game mechanics in a unimmersive way. That is the frustraighting part about ganking and i will be honest, it is super frustraighting to get ganked, to the point where you just quit the game and play another more immersive game in a fantasy setting.

Compare that to losing ships in a way that makes sense. Ive been part of some big battles over big stations and so forth and so on - that was some of the most immersive experiences i’ve had playing a MMO and i lost extremely valuable ships. But it makes total sense that you fight over territory and lose your ship in the war. Its actually really cool. It also makes total sense to lose your scanning ship, flying around in dangerous space - same with trying to blockade run - but highsec ganking is just not immersive. It makes no sense, it has no logical pattern in the fantasy universe.

Then you can ask yourself why dont CCP do something about it then. Because a throng of whiny veterans of the game enjoy this practice (of frustraighting other player essentially) and will flame everybody that speaks against it here or elsewhere with nonsensical statements like “eve is not supposed to be easy - and its a hard game blablabla” - eve can be a hard game and be immersive at the same time? And if you like playing “hardmode” so much, why dont you go fly in nullsec?

I just think CCP has to ask themselves this - imagine if you made a fork of EVE, and you had two EVE online’s but with one difference. One was like the current - unimmersive illogical universe - and the other a super immersive and logically consistent universe with no highsec ganking.

Which game do you honestly think, would have more players active? Honestly? Who cares about highsec ganking but a small super dedicated minority of whiny veterans?

How many players have put highsec ganking as the reason they unsubbed? Cause most people i know quit because of that. And worse than that - how many new bros have quit the game, cause they didnet understand what happend at all? We all know quite a few, i do at least.

Anyway - im quitting also, i just got highsec ganked again. Highsec gankers can cope as much as they want but you are making the game less immersive and the universe illogical in my opinion.

Calm down miner.

12 Likes