Given the thread’s title, unsurprisingly a new player here, looking for some advice across a few topics please – pretty long read so TL/DR: looking for ship progression advice, exploration tips, and corporations to join.
To kick off about my NPE I’ve been really impressed with the community so far. I had heard mixed things to be fair, but have found it to be brilliant - welcoming in game, and from comments I’ve read on forums in this space too, even the title ‘newbro’ has a charm to it. The training, and career agents, while do a job in helping teach a few things don’t really give a tutorial experience I would want for the game; but, given its vastness understand the line has to be drawn somewhere. I have found forums, wikis and even reddit (despite being told in game about the space there being a breeding ground for toxicity) to be all good sources of information to guide me.
I played EVE previously, or rather, I tried EVE about 5 years ago for a month – I couldn’t get into it at all, I did the usual career agent path and subsequent high sec mining, ratting missions and played the markets for a month before quitting. I knew the game had a billion more things to offer, all of which better, more engaging, and rewarding, than what I was doing but didn’t know how to engage with it, and ultimately wasn’t enjoying it – I’m sure countless others have done the same.
I’ve done a bunch of research this time round, and within a few days of starting up a toon was seeking out relic and data sites in WHs. Already been having great fun, and just over a week in, with a couple hours logged on each day, I’ve 150 mil ISK in the bank, 100 more in assets, while tiny compared to what you all will have, for me, it’s been great. This is the game I wanted to experience last time but didn’t. I can’t help but check the EVE app on my phone to see what sold on the market since I logged in – in other words, I’m already hooked.
I’m now thinking ahead – what do I want to spec into down the road. I’m already approaching the game differently, learning a bunch online, and a huge dose of patience added in. Setting these expectations has helped a lot – but I have found that I’m more much more active than I thought I would be. IRL I’m pretty busy, I’ve job which is great but demanding, and as such will likely be a causal player but already find I’m online every day for at least a couple of hours.
To the questions –
- I’m gallente, currently running, unsurprisingly, an Imicus. Looking at getting the entry SOE ship or T2 Helios, the latter cheaper but longer to spec into. The former I can get now and probably fit it, but if I die all my work so far gone, so not really a ship I can afford to lose at this stage.
o A separate note… Can anyone explain why the first SOE ship you can get bounced from c. 40/50 mil in value to 80/90 mil a few months back? What changed?
- My ideal ship progression path will see me develop in exploration, but lead me to new ships to experience other parts of the game. What do you recommend? I’m relatively committed to SOE ships at this point, but open to choices. Down the line I really like the look of the Tengu as a longer term ship to work toward, but not sure that my skill points would be optimised for that, it being a Caldari ship. I went Gallente as the drones seemed appealing – that Tengu though….
- Looking to better understand and learn how I can positively affect my skill training. As I say, I’m new, but I’m on Omega, 1.4 mio skill points (no referral as I am using the account I made 5 years ago, and the other character is only on 2 mil anyway). I’ve read various pieces of information on this but generally, it’s quite old – you may be able to link me to a more recent, or still relevant, page. I’m looking at how optimise attributes. Probably a general balance would be best as I decide on what I want to do. Currently I’m focussed on speccing exploration; along with the magic 14.
- Implants – same as above, but for implants. As I say I’m new so I’m pretty poor respectively, and will likely die a bunch, which I understand would likely destroy implants? I plan to fit a bunch of cheap ships and go to null and get them blown up in some pvp to help learn. That said any advice on this would be appreciated.
- I’ve read online, and heard from YouTube guides, that EVE University is good, in game I get mixed messages with others recommending other corps. Ultimately, I’m looking for a newbro friendly, casual corp to chat with, learn from and share with. At the moment I’m interest in WH gameplay, but options currently limited for getting nice ISK a week into my experience, so might change down the road. Any recommendations? (From a timezone perspective I’m based in London.)
- As I say, I’m having fun here. I’m doing “unknown WHs” and pay little attention to their lifespan before entering, as happy to log out in them. I think I now understand how to identify C1-3 (Grey, Brown, Grey with red star, respectively – please correct me if wrong). I use D-Scanner pretty religiously, and managed to escape a stealth escape bomber attack while at a site; more luck than anything else I guess, was at about 25% hull in an instant. I use bookmarks, finding safe space and sticking there in between – in all it’s been helping me get the ISK and staying in WHs despite no cloak.
o Scanning; any tips to be more efficient here? Generally I start at 4AU on pinpoint on any given sig; if there are a cluster I do one of the wide spreads to kick off, sometimes worth it other times not so much. I’m using sister core probes, which have been a nice boost in scanning time. I read somewhere that a tip to save me loads of time is to do a big scan and if I see sigs that move around loads chances are they’re a WH? Is this correct, and any other tips like this?
o Can you confirm the naming conventions “Unsecured” and “forgotten” are the only ones with sleepers in, and all others are without NPCs?
o Tips to speed scanning generally, I learned to double click the screen for the change in view which has helped immeasurably (newbro life)
o Where to base myself – I’m not in a corp yet so while I frequently logout in wormholes and find an exit somewhere in low/high sec later, I wonder where I should base myself rather than at the Calle university starting area/and the Dodoxie trade hub. Effectively, should I just find a random system to base myself and find WHs from, what’s best, does it matter?
o Anything else I should do with explo? I’ve been into Null Sec, but have no idea who owns what territory and where in null sec (excluding gate camps) I’m good to go about my business, so generally shoot back to WH space. (I understand that anywhere in Eve I can get shot at, but I imagine some places are more accepting of an Imicus than others.)
- Worth me setting this up? If so could you recommend a good source for me to read up on it please?
• Any general advice in keeping with what I’ve discussed appreciated too. As I say, really enjoying it this time around, exploration has been brilliant, and I want to learn about more things I’ll enjoy.