Observations of a Returned

Fellow Capsuleer here, returning after many years of absence. Obviously the first thing I noticed is the split of Alpha and Omega pilots (new subscription model).

But I just want to be sure of a few things that I noticed in the few days I’m back to New Eden:

• Players online “only” around 30,000? In my days, there were usually 300,000 and more
  • No rats in high-sec belts. Is this a normal phenomenon?
  • Read about that criminal careers are no longer allowed. That was a fundamental cornerstone of New Eden. Is this no more?!
  • Low and Null seem to be mostly devoid of people (did some cruises). I find that pretty strange… maybe because of X-Mas
  • 70% (of said 30,000 or so online) now live in High? It used to be the other way around
  • PLEXes seem to be significantly cheaper than in my time
  • The new map is odd

Can someone elaborate on what happened in the past seven years and the vanished player base? By now I was hoping to see a million people online on average… since back in my day, the player numbers (active players) were constantly going up. That sucks really. New Eden seemed to have gone from a mid-sized city to a small village population-wise.

1 Like

Where did you read that?

Troll post detected…, funny though o7

2 Likes

Players online “only” around 30,000? In my days, there were usually 300,000 and more

There never was 300,000 players online at one time, most was slightly more than 60k, but only when they all logged in to beat the record and receive a gift . Amount of subscribers or all players playing at different times is more than 300,000 it is estimated.

No rats in high-sec belts. Is this a normal phenomenon?

There are rats where they have been before in high sec. Plus some more, like drifters and stronger ones from FOBs. Some systems always did not had them in belts because of really high sec status.

Read about that criminal careers are no longer allowed. That was a fundamental cornerstone of New Eden. Is this no more?!

There are still criminal careers. You can still gank, and there are people ganking all right, same as people stealing loot from you and becoming suspects to lure you into fight.

Low and Null seem to be mostly devoid of people (did some cruises). I find that pretty strange… maybe because of X-Mas

How is it strange? It was always empty vast space, but can become really crowded in some points, with hotdrops and escalating fights. Same as always.

70% (of said 30,000 or so online) now live in High? It used to be the other way around

No, it was always like that since I have been here, like from 2009. There is even graph from CCP that looks like null, low and wormholes are the least populated space.

PLEXes seem to be significantly cheaper than in my time

It was always cheaper than now. There was a split and you need 500 for a month of subscribtion time.

The new map is odd

It is different than previous for sure.

3 Likes

CCP removed Aurum and split PLEX up into units of 500 uPlex (or whatever they’re called). 500 of the “new” PLEX are equal to one of the original PLEX.

1 Like

Yep. Average seems to be around 25k, low in the mornings is 12 - 15k. 30k+ is peak at weekends.

None in 1.0 or 0.9 Systems. They start at 0.8

As someone told you above, while 1 PLEX may now be considerably cheaper than ‘back in the day’ it now takes 500 of them to pay for a months sub (so around 1.6 billion ISK total for a month at current prices)

Welcome back to the village :wink:

As some already said. There have never been 300k players online.
Server count
Here you can see the online player count of all time. The peak was at 60k.

There have never been many rats in high sec.
But they have the sig combat sites where you can kill rats. Open the scanner and check for the sites. There are areas where these sites are being farmed way to fast. But there are (even in high sec) systems where you can hunt rats all day and never run out of targets.

Do what you want, unless you threaten or insult player in RL. You can scam, cheat, betray, steal and gank as much as you want.

Not more or less as it was in the past ( as far as i can tell from my limited experience in low and null).

I have no hard numbers about this. But it was always this way. There were always far more player in high sec compared to null and low sec.
all can cry and whine as much as they want about carebears. But most of the player prefer this high sec game. And as far as i know it was always this way.

As many said. In the past it was one plex for a month. Now it is 500 plex for one month. They are not cheaper, they are way more expensive now (it depend when you left, but i assume around 150 to 400 million for one plex is the number you remember? Now it is 1.3 - 1.6 billion).

You can turn it off in the settings. But i find it ok.

From your “past” impressions i have the feeling you were playing another game :smile:.
Or maybe it is one of these “past blur”, The whitewashing from the memory of the past. :grin:

1 Like

I don’t think you can anymore. The new map was opt-in at first via the ‘Try the new map’ tick box in the settings. That box is now gone. It is no longer ‘the new map’ it is the map.

Talk about turning off or “forbidding” criminal careers is repeatedly mentioned in this post:

I played around 2010, and if I remember correctly there have been 250,000 players on average online. Maybe I suffer from dementia or I played a different EVE. Seems I’m really wrong looking at the stats. I stand corrected.

The new map can still be disabled in my client. But since it’s probably going to replace the classic map at some point, I guess I have to get used to it.

I could be wrong, but it can be that this was after the change with the green, yellow, red dot (this strange safety system). This way you could not lure player anymore into becoming crimal and a legal target. This change may have removed a few crimal activities.
Some griefers used game mechanics to make others legal targerts for attacks. And this was extreme reduced with this safety system. A player could not do anything “illigal” anymore. When the dot is green, you cannot loot from other players wrecks that are yellow. Not even by accident. You just cannot loot the wreck at all. This took away some of the professions for griefers.

Maybe he mean with forbidding crimals the deny to become a crimal by accident.

or the other way around. I assume that CCP is taking notes how many are using the new and old map (i hope they do). If most player turn off the new map and go on with the old map, they might think about it.
But i doubt it, because the default is the new map. And many do not change the default or even know there is a choice. So they use the new one. And as i said, i like the new one. But this is personal preferance. I dont have to use it this often, and i use Dotlan.

You are confusing players online with the number of players total.

1 Like

It’s a lot harder now but that just makes you twice as elite for still doing it :dealwithitparrot:

1 Like

No I can turn mine off and have done so

Its been that way for at least two years

But the new events are a gold mine for farming kills on stupid people. You wouldn’t believe when I tell you how the last couple of highsec kills came to my killboard.

Greed and ignorance are a force stronger than ever.

I concur to that being a reasonable assessment. It’s been seven years for me, so

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.