Optimising Dev Time & Minimising Customer Walkout

You did not answer the question.
You only concentrated on the second line.

The question is:

Why do you believe this is not a regular thing already?

No harm intended towards CCP or CSM members.

I had read the last CSM 13 minutes, and from what I deduced, everything that the members discussed about were posted some time later on CCP devblogs. So whether I have mentioned that CSM made decisions or not, just consider that might be I had not chosen the right wordings to put in context. Let’s focus on the essence of this post. Thanks.

Because I have no proof of it.

That’s … a weird answer, but I guess I can work with it.

The reason why such surveys aren’t a thing already, is because they fail spectacularly. Exact percentages do not actually exist, but we can work with “answers based on likelihood of being given”.

Your idea would work for a tight-knit community that isn’t “infected” by mainstreamers and casuals ripping it apart from the inside.

Casuals/Mainstreamers generally aren’t good customers in the sense that they care for the game. They only care about themselves. You can be sure that someone who does not see EVE as a hobby and commitment, but as a collection of mini-games, does not really think much about anything beyond his own basic wants.

CCP actively made sure that such people join the game and they only care about shallow short-time fun instead of long lasting satisfaction and friendships. They’re easy money, though.

Naturally someone who has a limited time frame to play will try to have the game changed towards him getting exactly what he desires. Take a week on the forums, reading, and you can see this for yourself. An actual fan base, though, is the complete opposite. They’re long term fans who commit, with the greater good in mind, who care about their game as a whole.

EVE used to be pretty different, culturally and socially, before CCP began reaching out for the casuals. Ten years ago this might have worked, but nowadays letting players decide what they want is not going to yield anything productive.

Ignoring those who actually have enough grasp on the matter to actually make good calls, there’s the problem that most people do not actually know what they want. That’s what I’ve learned about this. They have desires and feelings, yet lack the ability to actually think them through and express them in a smart way.

But the biggest problem I see with your idea, is this assumption that rational people would be answering these surveys in a rational way while having the best interest of the game in mind. That’s simply not how it works with masses of people, it’s how it works when you’re dealing with a relatively small, dedicated fan-base which can preserve it’s culture.

I guess the TLDR is that the chance of people literally killing games with their ideas is extremely high, due to them generally being unable to provide wholesome, well thought out ideas (thus also being unable to recognize good from bad ideas) and that shallow nonsense only needs to be worded properly to gain tons of attraction of an audience that only looks out for itself.

The situation is of course a bit more complex than this, but that’s the gist of it.

This one specifically is one of those where you think that it would, but it won’t. An unpopular point in the survey requires only one guy to post it on reddit, causing a potential shitstorm over something that might have been misunderstood, or might be a necessary nerf the entitled masses are not approving of.

Right now people can give forum feedback already. Sometimes they’re being heard, sometimes they’re being ignored. Fact of the matter is that CCP ignores both good and bad critique and I honestly prefer that to them caring about surveys which outcome is dictated by the majority.

Because the majority of poeple in a video game reaching out for the mainstream/casual market can not ever be made up of mostly thoughtfull and considerate people.

Your faith in the western hemisphere’s part of humanity kind of honours you, but sadly it’s completely misplaced.

Sorry.

1 Like

Yeah, I figured that much. Anyways this thread has reached a point where I cba to back it up anymore. Plus, I fear that putting newbros under the main spotlight might be too much of a leap in terms of plans for development which might drastically affetct the core of the game.

Anyhow, thank you all for your concerns and input ladies/gents. I am thinking to discountinue the support of this thread. If any ISD want to lock this topic, go ahead. If anyone else want to carry on, it’s okay with me eitherway.

o7

1 Like

Are you saying this thread is now officially declared lawless space?

1 Like

Well, if you insist. Good thread anyway. :grinning:

2 Likes