Orca vs Mining Barges

Nice Low/Null Fit with Extensive Tank!
You can call for assist via cyno, logi for drones or mining ships. The Higgs is a very nice touch! Dramatically reduces max and align speed so you can mine aligned in flight slow enough that the Aug Mining Drones can easily keep up.

Unless I missed a skill or an implant, 500mn has a 10 second cycle giving the Orca an 11 second standing align which is phenomenal for that beast.

[quote=“Sasha_Viderzei, post:14, topic:57249, full:true”]
It sound like it cost a lot, won’t it be a gold piñata for every ganker, even near the HQ of the alliance or corporation ?
I’m currently planning to use this one, I would like to get your opinions on it :

It actually didn’t cost that much. I built the Orca myself and saved about 50% on the cost of the ship and, again, built my own drones, which was a nearly 75% savings. I have been flying this exact ship for more than 8 months, only twice have I come close to thinking I was going to lose it. The first time I got tackled (before adding the Higgs rig) and had a small fleet of sabres, lokis/tengus, and ceptors come in. I escaped due to the quick action of my alliance & corp mates. The second time was a damned infested carrier that wasn’t on my overview, I escaped in DEEP structure.

The T2 rigs did cost alot, but they are worth it to get the most yeild from the Orca. Currently the ship is estimated, by the EvE clied as being worth 1.3 bil.

With a Higgs, you can stay aligned and enter warp nearly instantly (depending on the accuracy of your click on the throttle).

I did some math using Deandra Walran’s Orca fit, all skills to V, and the following Hulk fit:

[Hulk, someday]

Mining Laser Upgrade II
Mining Laser Upgrade II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]
[Empty Med slot]

Modulated Strip Miner II, Spodumain Mining Crystal I
Modulated Strip Miner II, Spodumain Mining Crystal I

Medium Drone Mining Augmentor I
Medium Drone Mining Augmentor I

Mining Drone II x5

Using an Orca and a Hulk side by side, you get $60,068,520 isk an hour mining regular Bistot at 80% refine. Using both hulks side by side, you get $62,784,000 isk. However, if you factor in either warping back to station or Giant Can mining, the Hulk’s are going to take a hit on travel time/hauling time. Assuming that hit levels the mining rate between the two setups, the benefits of an Orca are range boosts, survey boosts, shield command boosts, large drone bay, remote reps, and jump capabilities.

There are probably a dozen or more factors in this equation that can alter the numbers above, but the long and short of it is that Hulk > Orca for 1 account, once you have 2 or more accounts, you want to field at least 1 industrial command ship for the boosts + utility.

Bear in mind, if you invest in a Mindlink, the numbers above are almost identical, meaning you mine the same amount but with the added utility of everything the Orca brings.

Edit: rather than fix the t2 crystals vs. ore type, which i recognize I did wrong, I’ll note that the difference once adding them is still minimal, since its the bonus for 2 hulks vs the boosted bonus for 1.

1 Like

Just a dumb question: it’s jump and then one MWD cycle or MWD and then jump? Or both at “same” time?

I typically click jump (or warp) and then either turn the MWD on and then off, or usually I have it set to “auto-cycle off” so you just have to press it once. In principle though, you could do it the other way, because as long as your ship is aligned within 20 degrees of your destination by the time the MWD shuts off, the trick will work even if you started the MWD cycle before the aligning process.

For travel though the fastest is to have your autocycling off in advance, and then click ‘jump’ to start aligning and break gate cloak, wait for the “Warp Drive Active” notification to appear above the central circle and then click the MWD. It will run for 10s and then turn off, and you will immediately enter warp.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Except for when leaving the stations. You need to set an instawarp from those or you’ll go insane.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.