Out of System Corvette Choice

I know that the Corvette is more for after you’ve been killed. but if you lose your ship in another system and SOMEHOW are able to stay alive in your pod you can get a new ship at a nearby station. I think you should be able to choose whether to get your factions corvette or the faction of the base. This would allow people to figure out what they like. Also if they want to stay in that system for a while they would be able to use the advantages of their corvette and upgrade their items from the civilian line.

2 Likes

Solution in need of a problem. A corvette has no practical purpose besides being an extra layer of HP for your pod and the differences are purely aesthetic. There is nothing to “figure out what you like” or upgrade.

1 Like

I think the type of Corvette received should be based on the Faction that owns the station.

So when in a Minmatar station, you receive a Minmatar Corvette, a Gallente Corvette in Gallente station, Caldari Corvette in Caldari station and Amarr Corvette in Amarr station.

For stations controlled by other Factions, you receive a Corvette type associated with your Faction.

Course it would be nice to get a Pirate Faction Corvette when in a Pirate Faction station, but those were Special Edition ships with better Role Bonus stats and an extra fitting slot compared to the regular Corvettes. They were given out as a promotion gift at Pax East 2013.

5 Likes

Coincidentally, my Discord and I were having this same discussion just yesterday. I agree with @Morrigan_Naes, and I personally believe there would more benefits (immersion, lore, diversity, promote cross-training) than downsides when it comes to corvettes provided being based on owning system. I also think the reintroduction of pirate corvettes as standard-issue ships would be great for the same reasons. Upwell structures could probably just provide you with your racial corvette.

These two ideas are currently listed on my CSM16 platform:

I think Corvettes as a whole could probably use some love to make them more useful to the NPE and for “bootstrapping” past the NPE (and for skilling spree :wink: ). At the time of writing I also have the following Corvette-points on my platform:

I’ve created a Corvette Metacard to track all Corvette related points on my platform at any given point in time.

3 Likes

I agree!

Figure out what you like in the way of weapon types and aesthetic choices. Honestly would like to choose a different style of corvette and still have my character look and a beginner faction I like.

1 Like

But by the time you’re docking in new stations you’re out of the tutorial and have already made it to a point where the only thing flying a different corvette will tell you is “this is a tutorial ship that is completely incapable of anything else”. After the first few minutes of the game there is zero practical reason to ever fly one except as an extra layer of HP for your pod as you fly home from a loss.

That’s just your opinion and if you notice, not very many posters in this thread agree with you.

1 Like

It’s fact. Corvettes are useless outside of the tutorial. Even the most basic T1 frigate is god-tier compared to a corvette no matter what you’re doing, PvE or PvP.

not very many posters in this thread agree with you

No they’re not. Sometimes I use Corvettes for travel to another system to get a different ship. And like Archer said, they should come fitted with basic defensive mods when activated.

So, like I said, another layer of HP for your pod while traveling to a real ship. Why are you whining about “JUST YOUR OPINION LOLOLOL” if you’re agreeing with me?

And like Archer said, they should come fitted with basic defensive mods when activated.

Why? Those defensive mods are worthless against anything but the tutorial NPCs. And IIRC in the tutorial you have to fit them manually because it’s teaching you how to equip modules, so having them be included by default would prevent this lesson.

I’m not agreeing with you, you said they’re useless which they’re not.

As for the Corvettes coming fit with mid slot mods, like you said that would add an extra layer of protection for traveling. In fact CCP can easily just upgrade the Corvette code for all other systems without changing the code for the starter systems.

Anyway, why are you here making a big stink about it? It’s not going to disrupt your game play.

Corvettes have room for their utility to increase past academic usage. (Their novelty has room for increase as well.) CCP recognized the, if not necessarily “need”, benefit of buffing them years ago (back when they were called “Rookie Ships”), and there’s no reason they cannot be buffed or diversified further directly or indirectly.

Potential use cases past NPE:

• Given the potential decreased accessibility of the Venture per mineral patch, Corvettes may find a not-insignificant increase in usage in guerilla mining until the needed minerals to manufacture Ventures for proper guerilla mining are procured. (It’s worth noting that T1 mining lasers and inertial stabs can be made with HS ores, but not the Venture itself.)
  • Corvettes are popular for use during skilling sprees where rats in starter systems and low-level anoms can be killed for SP
  • If you ever find yourself in need of ‘bootstrapping’, a stronger Corvette will get you off your feet faster toward T1 frigs and other hulls.
  • If you find yourself using a Corvette at all for any reason, including - as you repeatedly emphasize - “more defense for your capsule” - you have a more immersive experience lorewise/visually by being offered a variety of hulls; this is even more true if you actually use the Corvette in combat.

It’s worth noting that there is plenty of room for buffing the Corvette’s base stats significantly more than they already are without having them trample onto the T1 frigs (namely the First Tackle hulls) - their inability to use rigs and their relatively weak static bonuses (vs leveled bonuses) combined with low slot counts would make them inferior even if their PG/CPU/Cap/speed/agility/HP were significantly boosted, but this boost would still make them more useful in the NPE and elsewhere.

I said they’re useless except as an extra layer of HP for your pod while traveling to a real ship. You then proceeded to bring up the fact that you use them as an extra layer of HP for your pod while traveling to a real ship.

As for the Corvettes coming fit with mid slot mods, like you said that would add an extra layer of protection for traveling.

Except it doesn’t. The HP/second is laughably low and will not make a difference against anything but the tutorial NPCs. The ship itself barely does, but maybe it could take a hit from a smartbomb gatecamp and buy you that fraction of a second to click “jump”.

In fact CCP can easily just upgrade the Corvette code for all other systems without changing the code for the starter systems.

{citation needed}

Do you have proof that the code allows for corvettes to be handled differently depending on the system?

Anyway, why are you here making a big stink about it?

Because you came in here and decided to post nonsense.

No I didn’t, I said I use them sometimes to travel to get another ship. Mainly because they’re free and I don’t have to buy a shuttle.

The only one posting nonsense here is you. In fact you do it constantly everywhere in these forums, even if the topic doesn’t affect your game play.

As for all the other stuff you posted, it’s just crap…

And why do you use them? Because it’s an extra layer of HP for your pod.

As for all the other stuff you posted, it’s just crap…

Ah yes, when reality disagrees with you just handwave it away.

Learn to read, I use them so I don’t have to buy a shuttle.

And why do you use a ship at all, instead of flying your pod? Because it’s an extra layer of HP for your pod.

It’s almost 10 years, they could become available to the wider audience. The Gnosis was also given away for free after several years of being a one-time event ship.
If you don’t want to flood the market, make it difficult to obtain: let’s say you need +8 standing with the given pirate faction, and requesting their corvette will make you lose 1 whole standing point. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

New Concord corvette? Or one for Edencom maybe?
Also SoE, SoCT, Mordu’s Legion and the Triglavians still need a corvette with preferably a unique design.
Maybe even ORE could get one, just for fun.

but will edencom and triglavian mount Vorton and plasma turrets?