PLEX is very expensive right now thread

Based on what? People always say this, but inflation is rather mild suggesting that the growth in the money supply is not that much more than the growth of the real economy.

What is the current rate?

What it will be, when Alphas can run lvl 4 efficiently? I am so happy I stocked on PLEX.

Hard to say from the graphs, but looking at the CPI is is pretty flatā€¦

Looking at the other indices we see that the Secondary Producer Price Index has leveld off after risingā€¦form a long downward trend. Overall the Mineral Price Index is below itā€™s previous high in 2012, and has only made modest gains relative to a previous period of deflation. And the Producerā€™s Price Index has been going up, but for quite awhile it was on a downward trend.

Overall, I see little to be concerned about in terms of inflation.

Just for the record as a pretty casual player, I bought, I think it was 349 PLEX the other day, completely blind to the changes that it has been granulated into small chunks. I sold 249 on the market for several hundred thousand ISK and put the last 100 in my vault. Iā€™ll likely continue doing this on a monthly basis, more often if PLEX price rises. Iā€™ll eventually have 500 PLEX in my vault so I can unsub for a month and still play.

What do I need billions of ISK for? Well, need to buy more CovOps ships, a Black Ops frigate and all kinds of toys, for which use has yet to be determined. Iā€™ve been told the Rorqual is still useful and would make a pretty ostentatious thing to mine Veldspar with, so that might happen down the road.

That will likely be more of a Sunday drive vehicle, though. :airplane:

Not sure what you think will happen beside a bunch of people running mission on alpha instead of omega to save 500 PLEX a month which would reduce the demand on the market.

Doesnā€™t it make ISK selling business safer? Alphas are free and having access to lucrative areasā€¦ When you get one banned you lose nothing except time. However smart person will have replacement alpha trained already.

You will have to PLEX or inject your alpha to get it to a point where it can run lvl 4 in a somewhat efficient way. That mean the price to get a lvl 4 ready character will be pretty much the same as it was before the change. They could already ā€œstableā€ lvl 4 runners before if they though they might get caught and wanted no down time after a ban. Train what you can on alpha and then stop there. Once you get your previous runner banned, transfer your sub to the stabled alpha and inject him to lvl4 running level. What kind of efficient mission runner can you do with the new skill set with only 5 mill SP that train for free?

Currently your lvl4 runner needs to PLEX. After changes it wonā€™t. So initial investment is the same but running cost is not.

Thatā€™s the difference.

So literally what my comment was about saving 500 PLEX a month worth of running cost which would reduce the demand on PLEX market IF it really is that big of a slice of the market being used. This is still a thread about PLEX price right?

The RMT implication are rather small since you are talking about savings of less than 2 bill a month per account. If people were driven off RMTing ISK because there was a 500 PLEX a month running cost but are now considering it, Iā€™ll be surprised. I mean, at most that <2bill will net you what? 8 bux? 5?

There are still things to buy for PLEX in NES, and I think more will be coming. NES already asked for accelerators as we know it thanks to CCP Dragon, so they are thinking seriously about delivering more stuff there. We may not hear everything tho, before the dev blogs start coming. :thinking:

But maybe these changes will not be so drastic and lvl4ā€™s will still be really slow with those skilsets, so nothing will really change. Same for null.

As a returning player i can confirm that I wonā€™t be buying a Plex as i planned. Sure, i can afford one but by christ, at that price? Much better to just subscribe with cold, hard cash imo. I remember when they were 200million each. :open_mouth: Can you even imagine that now?

If only Iā€™d just bought Plex, Plex and only Plexā€¦ :frowning:

A very good sign for EvE tho! Long may she reign!

1 Like

+1 to that, sir. I recently returned after 2 yrs away. ITs just insane how much the game turned into a camouflaged crypto-currency generator. Rather than a game that gets new players to join and old ones to return. NONE of my old alliance is in the game now. They all left, 2 yrs ago. And I see very few new persistent players join. But yeah, greed it the EVE-pox, it seemsā€¦

2 Likes

Pretty much everyone who doesnā€™t directly benefit from the ever escalating Plex price agrees it is damaging, and harmful to the retention of players both old and new.

Unfortunately those that benefit are also the players who shout the loudest, and have astroturfing trained to V.

When they are the only players left, they will be able to roll naked in their piles of plex and mountains of Isk, and thankfully there will be no one left to witness it, It will not be an edifying sight, and there isnā€™t enough eye bleach in existence, to ever make it unseen.

It would be so nice for Plex to return to a commodity that is exchanged for omega time and other services, maybe CCP can do something about that, maybe a 10% brokerage tax, and introduce a Plexcoin or something the speculators can get excited over, and make it the in game Bitcoin, making their imaginary fortunes, without buggering things up for the players who actually want to use plex to buy stuff.

It will also be nice to see players remaining in game, isk stored in Plex leaving the game via plex purchases and redemptions, and the game being run for the benefit of the people who actually Play, rather than as you describe those playing a cryptocurrency simulator.

Plex was an amazing concept, but at the current Isk price, players are choosing to say ā€œno thanksā€ and refusing to buy them. Whether they can afford them or not, no one wants to be a mark, and willingly exploited to feed such obvious manipulations. (Those left buying are those playing the speculation game of musical chairs, Bot farms, and skillpoint farms. yuk shoot me first before I sink that low!).

Maybe they will come back in 5 years and see if someone actually ā€œgot itā€, solved the problem, and made it a sane choice to buy and spend plex again.

Or maybe they will be gone for good, our alts stopped Plexing long ago, our mains will follow soon.

Honestly the arguments defending it make the spam mail offering me the new whatevercoin ā„¢ for a low low introductory price, easy credit card purchase, ( discount for cash transfers and western union ) seem legitimate in comparison.

2 Likes

Do you have anything besides ad hominem Bravo Sierra?

You do know that it was CCP that changed PLEX over the years to what it is now? Right? Nobody did this except CCP.

And why would a ā€œbrokerage taxā€ help? That tax is going to simply be reflected in the price. You are literally asking for not only higher PLEX prices but also less PLEX.

And why would speculators be interested in PLEXcoinā€¦what is going to do? If it has no use no speculator will touch it.

Finally, you donā€™t even know WTF you are talking about when it comes to speculation.

That is what PLEX does, and with a market some players are going to engage in speculation and that is a good thing. And ISK itself is a type cryptocurrency FFS, or as George Selgin would describe it, a synthetic commodity currency.

You mean youā€™ll quit unless you get to play at a discount? Okay, bye.

I think ccp threatening the tax on plex is just the downfall of their ill-advised decision to make all this mini-plex crap in the 1st place.

so basically a customer is paying twice in some shape or form for a monthā€™s game timeā€¦ if this is being implementedā€¦

like reallyā€¦ ccp is telling me to buy plex for game time and also in the same sentence selling free plex for iskā€¦ so you donā€™t want players actually earning the damn isk in gameā€¦ this is a hybrid EA games micro-transaction scamā€¦ it has ea written all over it

This has been effecting the eve community for a while now with a lot of players leaving due to the cost of plex. My vote would be for CCPā€™s economic division to put intervention strategies to bring the price of plex down.

Iā€™m sure if they look at price elasticity of demand they could make bigger revenue from a lower price. This would require some economic based work but it would be interesting to research for someone in CCP.

Either way as a customer Iā€™d like to see the price come down so more people could afford to play.

1 Like

So your conclusion is the following:

1. Most players are so poor they cannot afford to pay a sub with RL currency,
  2. And/or do not understand opportunity cost?

Me too, I always like to play at a discount.

I imagine a high PLEX price isnā€™t hurting EVE in terms of punters skipping the grind for ISK by just working 1 hour overtime a week and making a cheap couple bil that way. Itā€™s quicker than grinding the money, more reliable than trading (caveat emptor) and easier than attempting to locate and inculcate yourself in to a niche.

PLEX as it stands today is a very different animal to what it was 10 years ago. When I started playing plex was like 310mil/each but now the price is 5x as high. Whats funny is that incomes unless I am mistaken have actually been nerfed across the board so in terms of ISK to buy PLEX its actually harder on both the fronts of higher price and lower income to afford a PLEX.

Almost as if by designā€¦ CCP were pushing some sort of F2P-lite model where microtransactions sublimely become a central part of the gameā€¦

1 Like

This is the foregone conclusion.

Fragmenting PLEX and the introduction of injectors are the beginning of the end.

CCP broke the previously untouchable two holies of holy.
PLEX and SP.