I decided to share the biggest revelation of shower thoughts I just had regarding the cloaking update that hit the server recently.
The idea is the following:
- Have cloaking up stop cap recharge. That way being cloaked in a system becomes the 4D chess that it is supposed to be for hunting down anyone in a system or exploring in a hostile enviroment.
- Have cloak modules drain the capacitor slowly (i.e. Tier 1 module draining 10% of overall cap per minute, giving you around 10 minutes of being stealthy, higher tier modules dropping that - this could be changed to some flat numbers as well, but I think capping it at % of overall cap regardless of your max cap could be best). Ship role bonuses could further limit the drain. That means that a basic ship that is not used for explo decloaks in 10 minutes, a T1 explo frigate might do it in 20 minutes (having 50% reduction to drain), Covert ops, bombers and all the really stealthy ships reduce drain by 75% or so.
This would ensure that person cloaking up in a system has to be there to manage their cap, and if they get decloaked because of cap being drained, they cannot just immediately recloak like the change with observatory allows to. It would make them frantically decloak and recloak giving people hunting them more chance of catching the cloaker - they can’t just warp away, because they got an empty cap anyway, which makes them way more vunerable than being decloaked by observatory, waiting your cooldown and recloaking.
This gives us several new opportunities ingame:
- Possible new line of cloaking modules - compact that might cost more cap but be way easier to fit in, more faction modules that bridge the gap between T1 and T2 modules.
- New meta for ships - someone might start going for passive regeneration fits to recharge between gates quicker or cap booster fit to make sure they can recloak fast (but since cap boosters do take some space, a lot of ships would have very limited possibilities of cloaky camping).
- This could engage players in a way more active gameplay style when it comes to cloaking up and harassing enemies in systems. Having to watch where you jump, how much cap you have left, do you want to risk it going all the way cloaked in a system and praying they have enough cap or they might have to cloak mid warp to make sure they can land on grid and be stealthy there.
- Having neuting bombs could become a way of hunting cloaky campers if you have an idea where they are as hitting them with such bomb can decloak them completely.
- Explorers who go and hunt relic and data sites might not be affected by this much as if they get into a site, they will be regenerating cap while they are hacking cans anyway.
I’m sure there are some flaws this would have and people can easily find them, but I thought that this is mad enough to work.