Price of Plex - Market intervention Required from CCP

Ha, a lighting rod thread about plex prices, where people can post to be ignored.

Rightfully so.

Tell me you are not that dumb please… To be sure, next time i’ll use the word pod in order to avoid sowing confusion in your little head.

I don’t believe that the purchase of CCP by PA has had this influence. The chatter on the forum (and elsewhere) is created by a minority and doesn’t actually have much impact on the majority of players. Players still sell PLEX for one reason and that’s to get ISKs. Most players are anything but professional traders, and are rather oblivious and untouched by the effects you are describing here.

What I and many others did notice over the last few years is a seemingly increasing number of alt fleets. If these are bots or properly controlled fleets by individual players isn’t so much of importance to the PLEX price than the fact that it’s getting more of them. Skill point farming got more popular with alt fleets, and acts as a multiplier to the demand for PLEX.

On the other hand has there not been an increase in incentive to sell PLEX into the game. Fact rather is that players who buy game time directly have to pay significantly less than what they have to pay for a PLEX. I.e. a month of game time currently costs ÂŁ9.99, an entire year costs as little as ÂŁ7.50 per month, while the equivalent amount of game time in PLEX costs between ÂŁ14.86 to ÂŁ16.99.

Thus I believe there is a much simpler explanation here: selling PLEX straight into the game for ISKs has partly been replaced by skill point farming. This seemingly more profitable method does however not produce more ISKs on the PLEX buyers’ side and it’s not placing more PLEX into the market. The consequence is a change on the demand and offer and with it comes a change in price.

One can notice a significant increase in the demand for skill point extractors without there being a significant increase in skill point injector sales. This leads me to believe that the trend of skill point farming has created a temporary bubble that causes an inflation of the PLEX price (as well as inflating injector and extractor prices), with some players no longer selling PLEX into the game, but sitting on increasing amounts of skill point injectors (or just skill points) and waiting to sell these for the right price.

So, first you say this:

(which is obviously incorrect, since you could already see on the chart it was not the case)

Then you say this:

Which obviously shows that Alpha state did, indeed, stabilize population numbers (‘stabilize’ means ‘remained roughly the same’, in case you have trouble with words as well as charts) - as opposed to the steep multi-year decline pre-Alpha.

Your numbers are only correct in about half the cases actually, so apparently you aren’t very good at getting data from web sites either. I could post the correct numbers, but it’s obvious that you and the other ‘sub only!’ dinosaurs aren’t really interested in facts.

So which is it, are we in ‘an even steeper decline’, or do you believe your own numbers that show Alphas stabilized the population from a steady decline to a levelling off?

Then you say:

Alphas are there to stabilize population numbers. Since they are new, free to play characters, exactly how much of the total ‘destruction’ do you expect them to contribute? They are flying ships worth a couple million, not the giant trillion-ISK fleets of the big alliances. Alphas are about having actual body count of actual people online, not inflated numbers from guys multiboxing a dozen ships in Null to pay for their supers.

Succeeded at selling CCP for hundreds of millions of dollars, is what. 2 years after Alphas were introduced, CCP sat down with PA, opened the books, showed them the numbers, and PA said “Yep, that’s worth a couple hundred million bucks to us… maybe a couple hundred million more if you can increase them”.

CCP and PA looked hard at the actual numbers and attached actual dollar value of hundreds of millions to them. That trumps all the “only subs count!” wailing and flailing that you and the other dinosaurs are doing.

Post #4 sums it up quite nicely.

Look at 2019 so far.

And numbers did stop falling badly in 2015, the 6m intervals show that.

Look again. There was a spike when alphas came but it was almost completely gone 6 months later. then we’ve been bouncing around the 30k mark since, which we were before alphas anyways. The best you can claim is a 3% increase for going free to play :+1:

You probably had more players stop paying than players picking up the game.

But you ■■■■■■ it up the first time and don’t want to be shown up again? Just post the real numbers man.

Citation needed.

Alphas aren’t ‘new’. They are just free to play and include returning players and omegas turning to alpha. They also don’t just fly cheap ships. They can fly upto faction battleships.

You said yourself (along with many others), they are meant to provide content. So I’d say the success of that would be visible in destruction.

Alphas missioning on their own aren’t providing content. It adds little, if anything, to the game.

You’re saying that PA spent that money after going free to play merely stabilized numbers?

If PA looked at the actual numbers, they’d have noticed that alphas gave a short burstof of life, but there’s nothing to suggest that they’ve either increased player numbers or increased content. The activity numbers between alphas and PA acquisition are the same as they were before alphas. So far in 2019 they are a lot lower.

I’m more inclined to think PA wanted ccp’s IP. But will monetize the crap out of eve whilst it lasts.

1 Like

Thank you for reminding me of one thing i forgot in the past years:

htfu.

'nuff said.

That’s pretty much how I see it playing out long-term also.

I figure I’ll see what happens and keep having fun in eve probably until the hamsters are re-homed by the RSPCA.

You’re reading the charts wrong. We have seasonal fluctuations and you have to take these into account or else does one end up comparing “summer holes” to “Christmas peaks” as you did. When one uses the summer holes as the lowest points within a year can one see that we did indeed had dropping numbers all the way into 2016. The period of July to September 2016 had an average of only 20k players. Instead of falling any further did the average for the same period in 2017 increase to 21k players. For 2018 was it already 23k players. Based on the lowest numbers within each year can one say that the game has been recovering.

The introduction of Alpha accounts however has had a much more visible impact on the number of new players, which can be seen here:

The recovery can be seen in both graphs when one knows how to look for it. But the fight against a decline isn’t over, and only gets worse the older the game gets. Old games just don’t get the attention of potentially new players as new games do.

1 Like

Actually they don’t, you just don’t know how to pull the correct numbers off a 6m interval on that site.

Yes, this is what ‘stabilized’ means, numbers no longer dropping.

I didn’t post any numbers, I posted a chart. You posted numbers. Incorrect ones. Try to keep up.

Yes, and the chart you linked shows a small but steady increase in destruction. Pretty much exactly what you’d expect from free alpha players.

Still struggling with the concept of ‘stabilized’, I see. I never claimed they increased overall numbers, in fact I pointed out we are again starting to decline (because they have largely wasted their Alpha opportunity).

Right, because 3 months of data during a time slot that often shows falling numbers in EVE is so very meaningful.

I am starting to understand the issue with why it is so hard for the dinosaurs to grapple with the notion of F2P actually being a growth opportunity - despite the undeniable fact that a company with a 5-year old F2P game was able to buy out CCP lock, stock and barrel.

It’s because they have trouble distinguishing reality from the things they want to believe.

1 Like

Me, me, me.

You do know that you can play for as little as $0.50/day or even as low as $0.365/day right? PLEX is not free. PLEX means you trade your time for ISK, which you then trade for Omega status. I trade my time for RL money, then I trade that with CCP for Omega status.

You have an important caveat here though, all other things held constant, and those may not be held constant.

The number of PLEX on sale in the Forge has been generally declining. Now, invoking the all other things constant assumption, this will drive up the price of PLEX. It is like the supply curve is shifting “inwards”–i.e. there are less PLEX on the market at every price level.

It should be pointed out that people do other things with PLEX than just obtain Omega status. This is part of the reason the “PLEX were 400 million 12 years ago” complaint is just silly. Sure, and PLEX then were only used for game time.

FFS, it isn’t free. Again…

PLEX player: Trades time for ISK, then trades ISK for PLEX, uses PLEX to obtain Omega status.
Me: I trade time for RL money, I then trade that RL money for Omega status.

Notice something else in there? There is no third party.

Nobody…

CCP is not going to care about this anymore than if they care about some random guy walking down the street in the US. Not because CCP are nothing but a collection of jerks and assholes, but because they can’t care…just like you can’t care. This needs to stop. We can’t fix the world’s problems via CCP.

No. Most of them have jobs and can afford to save $0.5/day. Hell they can probably find that by going through the couch cushions, their pockets, etc. Lets stop pretending that $15 is alot of money. It is not…especially when we are talking about people trading 30, 40 or 50 hours a month to get a PLEX.

Botting may be a component of the demand for PLEX but it is not “what drives demand”.

Unless you are botting and killing rats, in which case there is de novo ISK creation.

OMG…

And economic illiteracy can be spewed…I should stop looking in here it makes me sad.

2 Likes

FYI it is called inflection point :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to say it again…

If you can’t walk into your home/apartment/whatever and take $1/day and put it into a jar, box, envelope, whatever, and then after 30 days, pay for a sub for 30 days, with an extra $15 ready for the next month…and you are instead trying to convert 30-60 hours of “leisure time” into ISK for a PLEX…you are literally doing it wrong.

Think about it…please, even if it hurts…lets take the mid point of 30-60 hours and say 45 hours. You are trying to convert 45 hours into something that costs $15. That is you are doing something that works out to $0.33/hour.

Now some might think, “Hey, $0.33/hour is less than $0.5/hour.” Yes that is true. But that does not imply you are getting a good deal. It suggests that your reservation wage is $0.33/hour. That is you’d be indifferent between taking a job that paid $0.33/hour or not taking it. Chances are you are working at a job where you get paid more than that…alot more than that, like say 3,000% more. You could take that same hour and, in theory earn, $10. A reservation wage of $0.33/hour means you think your time has extremely little value and that you are nearly completely useless. Another way to see this…you are essentially working a full days worth of work for $15. You are getting “paid” about as much as a typical homeless person in Los Angeles who is washing car windshields. Stop.

Seriously…can people please go read up on opportunity cost and realize it applies to your time too. In fact, time is your most precious commodity. When you are out of time that’s it you get no more. You go into the ground forever.

5 Likes

The yearly numbers take into account seasonal trends. They also take both highs and lows into account.

I’m not seeing a steady increase and if winter is supposed to be the peak, this winter we’ve just had is looking very low.

And it looks like about 40,000 characters were made during the two days alpha started. 40,000!!.

How many stuck around?

So post the correct ones.

Except it was stable before.

3% isn’t what I’d call significant. And that 3% hasn’t lasted either.

Is it?

I’d say; if it was alphas driving destruction/content the activity spike from late 2016 that is clearly alphas and lasts about 6months should be somewhat mirrored by the destruction graph. The alpha spike in activity is an increase of around 60% whereas the destruction graph gets a small bump of 25% for that same period. And that’s assuming the alpha spike is the main driving force for that increase in destruction but it actually may not be. Looking at production and mining at the same time it could instead be rorquals coming out of pos shields, making loads of capitals and, if i remember correctly, goons deployed in the north.

So it isn’t what i expected. The impression was that alphas would lead to a lot more content. Carefree players leeroying fleets. But if the typical demands made by alphas on the forums are anything to go by, alphas are mostly interested in ratting, mining and being immune to pvp.

So I’m not convinced they’ve been the game changer they were intended to be. I think instead they’ve given vets an excuse to play for free.

How often?
I think you’ve got it backwards. I agree with the previous poster. Summers do tend to be quiet and winter more active. In fact the beginning of the year looks like it’s often the most active time historically.

Player growth, yes. Content growth, maybe. Money growth, maybe.

My argument is that it doesn’t seem like any of these is happening. Long term looks like the opposite.

Worth remembering that BDO is notoriously pay2win. ‘Free’ to play in BDO is different to free to play in eve. Maybe that’s what you mean by ccp failing to capitalise on a free to play model. You want more monetizing. But those games don’t last.

The difference between us dinosaurs and you is that we like the game and want it to last more than we want ccp to ruin the product and move onto a new project after this one has been sucked dry.

2 Likes

You two are an obvious example of why the West is falling :stuck_out_tongue:

As opposed to what? Lol.

1 Like

When your product costs nothing, you will not be attracting people who respect value.

How anyone could assume they’d be decent people is beyond my understanding. My assumption is that “corporate” is completely disconnected from reality thanks to buzzwords like “more accessible”, combined with the horrible idea that fooling people into a pleasant experience leads to happy customers.

1 Like

Do you know why you’re not seeing it?! Because we didn’t have any new sensational changes such as the introduction of Alpha accounts to cause a major attraction. And when you can understand this then you’ll understand how the lack of such changes makes it look low.

It’s then an uphill battle for CCP. It needs constant effort by them to keep the game fresh and to attract new players, or these simply stop coming. It means that no single change can ever provide an ever-lasting growth. All changes to the game only have a temporary effect on its attractiveness. It can be seen in the “new player” numbers, how these always steadily decrease even after a major change was introduced, as well as on the online numbers when the annual peaks turn out to be rather low.

CCP is however continuously working to keep the game attractive to all players, even when one not always agrees with it. I then don’t find the changes to war decs sensational, but I do expect these to have a more lasting effect and to cause a more steady growth of the player numbers.

Ideally should CCP move away from creating annual peaks (although it can sometimes not be avoided), and focus more on creating profound changes. When the game is healthy should players be able to create attractions on their own, without a need for CCP to do it for them with each new year.

1 Like

Players that like eve but simply cannot afford the game are likely a small minority of alphas.

My feeling is that the majority of alphas just don’t like eve enough to pay. And will never commit to eve without the devs changing core design principles.

Moving toward monetization and pay2win might make alphas more successful (I’m talking about buying gnossis for RL money so alphas can regularly fly ships that allow them to compete with omega, and imagine soe weapons/mods that require no skills but have the power of T2 @All5). But that will surely be met with outcry from the current players…for now.

1 Like

And also more problematic are Omegas simply dropping down to Alpha…so either you go full on P2W and risk losing those players that are still here who don’t like that or you don’t. I wouldn’t mind getting that sub money back, after all it would let me buy more of these,

1 Like