Price of Plex - Market intervention Required from CCP

And EVE became a desert of graves full of PLEX…

Do you see the bubble ? (I don’t know if bubble is the correct word in English )

Probably CCP will do the impossible to prevent the bubble to explode.

CCP have to do so something to deflate the bubble.

1 Like

Because they can

sounds like rmt to me

because its the best way to store your isk long term and protect against inflation, its also one of the easiest ways to turn a profit on large sums of isk by taking advantage of the annual highs and lows.
yes there are better profit margins to be made through more active trading, but that also requires more effort that some people don’t enjoy doing, or the people who do actively trade already have enough isk to keep that flowing and need something to invest the excess in.
isk that just sits in your wallet is actively loosing value every day.

These people dont look like the type to spend isk on anything; even a decent ship.

and now with alphas they dont even need to spend to play the market.

odd isnt it.

1 Like

Well, if that ever happens boohoo, we lose a bit of isk, but that’s with all long term investments. On the other hand, short term we drive away poors and we have the chance of giving ourselves a huge profit, I’m willing to take that risk

After so many posts here, it’s time people started accepting that the cash/PLEX/ISK markets (there are two) are unusual, and that standard assumptions won’t always apply.

An exercise for someone brave: consider what realistic factors might unbalance the PLEX4ISK market (increase/reduce demand and price), and how they affect the downside risk (difficulties finding buyers, or price collapse) of moderate PLEX hoarding.

so what your basically saying is you are happy driving away ccp’s customers?

Less people means less competition :slight_smile:

Competition over resources what’s the problem?

Hoarding PLEX is just smart thing to do remember there is no right price for PLEX it’s only as fair as we consider it maybe for you 2 bil is unfair but for me it’s accepted. The guy paying real money wants most isk for his $ so we’re in constant competition for his goods which need I remind you is one of the best ways to avoid inflation and it’s also got a very special status as subscription token , difference between Omega and Alpha in strengh are monumental

I believe ‘moderate’ hoarding is an issue - just not the primary one. For instance, I’ve seen several dozen people, in game chat and forums, who have mentioned they have 10k, 20k, 50k, 70k, 100k Plex stashed away. (Obviously most of this would have been purchased in the past at lower Plex values.) I mentioned in an earlier post that when the recent ‘15% off Plex Omega price’ was announced, people were putting up orders of 7k, 10k, 12k Plex incorrectly (putting up sell orders at the ‘buy’ price) by accident. Which would indicate they were placing a lot of trades quickly.

As others have mentioned, Plex is a good ‘store of value’ to inflation-proof ISK that you’re not currently using. Multiply the above ‘stashed plex’ values by thousands of players (because I actually don’t chat much or even read a lot of forums - so the ones I’ve seen have to be a fraction of what’s out there) - and you get projections like 100 million plex sitting as ‘casual stashes’ on the players who have more ISK than they need. Which is a lot of players, judging by the massive ISK creation shown on MERs over the past few years.

However, those players (and the ones with lesser or no stashes) make up the ‘overall’ market. They are not actually the ‘market movers’ - although they can sustain or shift a market move once it has begun.

If you check the Plex graph from Adam4Eve:
Adam4Eve Plex Market Chart

you will note certain major movements in recent times.

At the Jan.2019 mark, the ‘buy volume’ increased from roughly 700K to 2 million. More than doubling in the span of a few days to the highest point ever. This kicked the market over from what was a relatively stable couple of months, into the steady climb we’ve experienced since. The buy volume decreased all through Jan/19 as all the lowest price and casual sellers sold into this massive new buy volume (over 4.5 trillion ISK worth of Plex at those prices). That multi-trillion removal of Plex off the market has mostly sat on the sidelines, waiting for price increases. On March 20/19, about 500k Plex was placed back on the market, and in early April a smaller but steady increase of Plex was put back on sale. Both of these events triggered significant price shifts.

Significant price shifts is when that large ‘casual market’ mentioned above come into play, because they might sell off some Plex to cash in while the price is high, then a few days later buy that Plex back when the price drops a few percent. So currently we see a market being directed and moved by very large-scale buy/sells over the span of a few days, with some follow-on support by the larger market.

As to what might unbalance the market - a fairly significant Plex sale might tip people from hoarding/waiting for price increases into ‘sell’ mode. Or the people who are able to place 4.5 trillion ISK worth of orders in the span of a few days might decide the time is ripe to do something with all that Plex.

Is this guy still at ccp? No?

Considering I have made numerous posts on the supply and demand of PLEX including graphs for the OOG market and the IG market…your point is…what?

Yes, this is what many players want. They want CCP to implement a hard cap on the PLEX price so they can spend less buying PLEX and subbing that way. They don’t realize that such a policy will almost surely mean they get no PLEX at all let alone enough to go OMEGA doesn’t even seem to register with these types.

2 Likes

Personally i’m on hiatus and having lots of PLEX is safer than lots of ISK

That’s the problem with today’s EvE with its new ideology where there is really nothing to spend your ISK for. Cheap ships are almost as good as expensive ones. And expensive ship easily dies to few to several cheap ones.

This is one of reasons why some people stop playing: nothing to work towards. If you not fanatic of pvp then at some point you have more ISK that you might ever need.

1 Like

No he’s not at CCP anymore for some years now I’m pretty sure he left before injectors and the current isk inflation explosion began.
Truth be told this harm to the economy got the company more subs so they could actually sell to people like PA and greed is good ,remember?

1 Like

There you are right. In the whole game, only the PLEX has a real value and is suitable for long-term value storage. The ISK to PLEX is like a fiat currency in relation to gold standard.

Actually you’ll find alot of rich players pvp in bling ships on alts or inside more elitist groups ingame.However alot also quit temporarily or permanent as more of the individualy impactful pvp gets replaced by blobing with devs supporting the latter.

FWIW I agree that your posts have been consistent with basic economics. But you’re in the minority.

The exact wording was chosen because I was replying to a post where you called me toxic and a whiner :slight_smile:

On the other hand, the content as a whole wasn’t specifically directed at you. You just provided me with a good starting point and context to further a technical objective.

I wanted to point out what a bunch of anti-sandbox whining beggars the majority posters that agree with the Topic Title are. The goal was to point put that most posts here:

• Are asking for handouts from CCP, which is contrary to the “sandbox principle” - which the same people use as a rationalization to oppress other players directly
  • Would require CCP to manipulate the internal “ISK-centric” market for their benefit. Which certainly proves that the rich PLEX4ISK buyers believe in subsidies for their play, rather than “lolMarlket PvP”

Bittervets in a nutshell: say one thing, do another, run crying to CCP when something removes any advantage they have over other players. And yet they don’t want to pay CCP to play.

Accurate. I have multiple cruisers that clock in at 5-10b.
And have flown and lost multiple frigates worth north of a bil.
You only need so many of those ships though. After That, may as well buy plex.