Question on Mining - I been gone for 11 years

My old configuration for a Orca Miner doesn’t work like it use to in the pass. In the pass I could mine with three lasers, now it appears that drone mining is what you do now. If I try to use “Mining Forman Burst II” with nanites, it seems to cause some sort of alert not allowing me to dock or jump. So if anyone can bring me up to speed on the changes, I would appreciate it. I am running my old account at Omega level currently.

Side note: I see allot of Skiff miners are they better than Orca?

Thanks,

Sam Nova

Solo mining with an ORCA is effectively nerfed to the point where it’s not a good choice. It’s been reconfigured to be a mining command platform. Exhumers are the best solo mining option now.

Personally I prefer the Mackinaw.

[Orca, Simulated Orca Fitting]
ORE Reinforced Bulkheads
Abyssal Damage Control

Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Thermal Shield Hardener II
Explosive Shield Hardener II
EM Shield Hardener II

Small Tractor Beam II
Salvager II
Mining Foreman Burst II
Shield Command Burst II
Shield Command Burst II
Large Industrial Core II

Large Transverse Bulkhead II

‘Augmented’ Hornet x3
Hornet EC-300 x1
‘Augmented’ Wasp x1

[Hulk, Simulated Hulk Fitting]
Mining Laser Upgrade II
Damage Control II
Reactor Control Unit II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Large Shield Extender II
EM Shield Hardener II

Strip Miner I
Strip Miner I

Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

‘Augmented’ Hornet x3
Hornet EC-300 x1
‘Augmented’ Wasp x1

[Mackinaw, Simulated Mackinaw Fitting]
Reactor Control Unit II
Damage Control II
Reactor Control Unit II

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Republic Fleet Medium Cap Battery
EM Shield Hardener II

Strip Miner I
Strip Miner I

Medium Ancillary Current Router II
Medium Ancillary Current Router II

Hornet I x3
Hornet EC-300 x2

1 Like

Also read up on waste/residue now factored into yields depending on the type of miners (high slots) that you use. I go with Miner I’s to eliminate waste, but it takes longer so it’s a playstyle choice.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, working on getting a Mackinaw setup.

Just to be clear, residue isn’t a part of yield, it just removes an additional part of the asteroid on top of your yield. Yield isn’t affected by residue, residue just affects how often you need to swap asteroids.

The Orca is a mining support platform, if you want to mine with a single ship it may be better to look at the barges or exhumers. Mackinaw is a good choice with it’s large ore hold.

1 Like

The Skiff is the most sturdy Exhumer, gankers normally go for weaker ships if available. Its mining yield is better than the Orca’s, but its cargo capacity is rather small. So it depends on your play style which one suites better.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.