Secrets Of The Abyss - Event Feedback Thread

its a lore reward, you went abit overboard farming them. its a unscramble word game

so im not the only one. I was worried the only way to reset it was to complete tier 5’s U.U dam. ya the events over for me then, no way i can do a tier 5.
This excludes a large amount of the playerbase from obtaining accelerators. I thought these events were primarily for newer players to get a chance to compete for a few scrapes. Anyone who can do tier 5’s is already setup and now they will dominate the accelerator market in this event.
By the time its fixed, if fixed, it will be grossly devalued most likely. Then of course theres extremely rich market manipulators to take into account. Personally I just wanted to boost my skill training but I sold my 1 accelerator already assuming I could get more, RIP.

2 Likes

theres some merit to the system. I agree that in the past perhaps there have been to many accelerators, but they are time limited so idk. Either way anyone who cant do tier 5’s is screwed for this event

1 Like

I can’t tell if I have a misunderstanding of how this event works or if its completely glitched still, please inform me.
1st: In terms of the hercules prototype accelerator rewards for completing abyssal tiers 1-5, how many are you supposed to be able to get? I completed tiers 1-3 and only obtained 1. My understanding is I should have gotten at least two via the reedem menu, according to the agency rewards tabs. Am I wrong?
2: Is the challenge for completing abyssal tiers 1-5 only obtainable once? I dont see any timer for the challenge to reset and since I dont have a 6bil gila or 100mil skill points I have 0 chance of completing a tier 5. Is this intended/ intentional?
3: Is there a special way to obtain the event specific mutaplasmids, is it just extremely rare, or is it not dropping? I have yet to get one or see any content creator or twitch streamer obtain one. Maybe this is a reward for the message unscramble puzzle/game or something similar?
4: not so much a glitch concern but being required to open the agency tab 4 times in an abyss site to claim points is extremely annoying and dangerous, why is this a thing instead of an automated system, or at least an option between the two?
I kinda hope these are simple fixes if glitched because as it stands I have no reason to continue with the abyss event, which I was really looking forward to :frowning:.

I realize you all (CCP employees) are working very hard at providing this content and the GM week content so thank you very much for taking time to address any issues people are having. Despite my complaints I still think your all doing great.

p.s. In regards to issue 1 or 3, if glitched I don’t want any compensation, I just wanna know whats going on and bring potential issues to someones attention.

Many players are unable to run tier 5’s, let alone scrounge up enough money to afford a ship that can do it. If you can do bpth then you have no need for an event like this, however im sure they are glad that they can dominate the accelerator market for awhile anyways.

1 Like

So now it is no longer even on the Agency tab. It was letting me continue running them even though I was finished, but even after logging its gone.

1 Like

abit harsh imo but I agree about the disconnects. Last night I happened to disconnect right after an abyssal site, thank god, and couldnt get back on for ~10-20 minutes. I would have died and likely lost more than this entire event would make me if I wasn’t ‘lucky’. I’m extremely paranoid about these now and dont really want to risk it for a skin ill never use for years. The accelerators could tempt me but I cant get anymore yet until the challenge resets.
I realize its primarily my fault for the disconnect, I think, but that doesnt change the risk involved. Even a tier 1 could kill me now :frowning:

3 Likes

While I agree with some of your points (disconnect risk, challenge not resetting, i have no idea how to get mutaplasmids, overall risk/reward of the event) this isn’t a very constructive response. Constantly creating and maintaining content with limited resources is likely much harder than any of us realize. They are simultaneously hosting GM week and constant server maintenance for tens of thousands of players.
I agree improvements can be made, and I want them to, but give em some credit and abit of a break. I love this game and the work they do to keep it going. Thx CCP and GJ thumbs up :slight_smile:
that being said I do hope some changes to the event take place, I really look forward to these events and want to keep attempting to claim some cool rewards.
p.s. the lore data caches are really cool IMO, might steal that idea for a d&d campaign of mine LOL :smiley:

1 Like

Ok, so since this is the event feedback thread, I will leave my feedback here.

Initial start is OK, tier 1 and 2 do as they are supposed to. Tier 3 starts to seperate players. Some tier 3 spawns are still too overwhelming without a ship / fit that goes beyond T2 and regular skill implants.

Tier 4 and 5 sites are still way too risky. I did 1 tier 4 to get the event points and not doing anymore and not stepping into tier 5s. Their requirements are still too insane while rewards still missing.

Turret boats vs drone / missle boats are still hosed. Yea, you can do them in turrets boats, especially electrical in zealot or phantasm, just like you can drive your car without power steering or power breaking system. Nothing was done to help this situation. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Has anyone at CCP looked at the prices of Dark and the fire filaments on the market and compared them to the other filament prices ? You should. Its an excellent indication of where things stand and what needs to be a bit rebalanced.

Overall, I will roll 3-4 toons through this to get accelerator boosters at the low / quicker end. Pass that I do not intend to even finish the event, get max points, on any character since there is no way am stepping into a tier 5 due to the ship/fit reqs and risk vs reward failure.

In fact, on my subsequent characters I won’t even be bothering with tier 4. Just stay at tier 3 max, get the lower end boosters, done.

And unless I see some very significant changes to the abyssal space and see some decent patch notes, after am done with the accelerator boosters I have no intention of running them again, at all. Much better off doing other stuff in the game.

7 Likes

Having completed 1000 points in the agency; I now feel that I am in a position to give detailed feedback. I won’t cover the shenanigans which happened at launch, but the remaining bugs and glitches are free game.

• It doesn’t feel like an event at all.
    The experience of Abyssal Deadspace remains completely unchanged by this even. No new NPCs or interesting objectives. Most previous events also had a competitive and/or teamwork aspect, which is completely missing here. All we have is the same Abyssal Deadspace as usual, with some extra rewards on top.
  • Going into The Agency to manually complete challenges is obnoxious.
    This is a straight downgrade from what existed previously. Now, instead of auto-completion, you have to open the agency (which causes a brief client freeze) and click each individual completed challenge to claim the reward. This is irritating and time-consuming in an environment where you can’t afford to spend that time trivially. It might be understandable if rewards were physically placed into your cargo hold, but since they go to the redeem queue, there is absolutely no point in this.
  • Gating of additional rewards is poorly balanced
    You get an additional booster for completing tier 2 and 4 of the “Delve into the Abyss” challenge. The challenge is reset at tier one, once you complete tier 5 (finish a tier 5 filament). This means that everyone without the means to do a tier 5 can only get 1-2 boosters from this challenge. The small amount of people who can run tier 5s have infinite access to extra boosters. While I don’t object to high-tier runners getting more stuff, the difference between 2 and loads is too darn high.
    Also, the Ancillary mutaplasmids are gated behind the mutaplasmid challenge. You have to consume a Gravid and Unstable to get at the loot box for a chance of getting some of the more valuable Ancillary mutaplasmids. This is driving the high-end mutaplasmid market in a very artificial manner. Prices will remain sky-high for the duration of the event and then suddenly crash when the event ends. Not a great financial prospect for long-term abyss runners. I think they should have been seeded at low frequency throughout the sites instead.
  • Duplicate Tasks bug
    Current bugs are fair game. The Agency is supposed to supply you with one of each of the four available tasks, however they frequently bug out, and you end up with one duplicated. If the duplicated task it “Delve into the Abyss” or the Mutaplasmid one, you could double your booster farm speed, or halve the number of mutaplamids used per Ancillary acquired. I had duplicate “Delve” for some time, and got a number of extra boosters from it. Unfortunately I’m now stuck with double “Sequencing”, which provides no advantage.
  • Disappearing event bug
    Sometimes completion of a task gets stuck (usually last stage of “delve”). Sometimes upon relogging the task is reset. Other times the whole event window in the agency, along with all of the tasks gets lost and is unrecoverable upon further relogs until downtime.
  • Triglavian Data Caches
    Not entirely part of the event, but I’ll review it anyway.
    This feature is being criminally underutilized. An extra way to use Databases is a great idea, the way it is implemented is not. You can literally grab all the lore fragments in a single site, then they have no further use and you never have any incentive to touch this feature ever again. At least put some low-frequency valuable drops in the loot box. It might be a decent way to re-distribute Ancillary mutaplasmids if you limit the exchange to 1 per bioadaptive cache.

OK, that about finishes my review of the event. Overall it was disappointing. I quite like the Abyss feature and was looking forward to an action packed expansion on an already decent feature. Instead we got the same thing, plus a few bells and whistles, major bugs and balance issues. I’ll give this one a 3.5 / 10. Better than the Federation Grand Prix, but still extremely lacking. Hoping the bugs get fixed soon™.

• Caterpil
15 Likes

I confirm they do not.
Had the task complete,killed a few more rats, then validated the task, went back to 0 done.

to reduce the number of rewards in game for exactly the reasons you stated. its extremely shady but its simply making them more cumbersome to recieve purely in the hopes some people wont actually redeem them or miss the prompt to do so and have to go out and buy the rewards or spend money.

theres no gameplay value to it. ccp is just trying to squeeze another nickel out of people through intentionally making the process more of a pain. its an EA approved practice.

2 Likes

Despite the fact that Abyssal sites themselves are very costly and risky to run, it sounds like this event is fixed so that players can’t even complete it.

:unamused:

As someone who was farming T5s for the boosters, my event bugged out yesterday after DT and it disappeared completely. So… now I run them just like before. What should I rate an event I can’t even take part in? 3.5/10 was too generous by the person above. I would rate it 1/10 instead of 0/10 because at least I managed to get the skins. Thanks for your efforts CCP.

Also, since you had us click COMPLETE an obnoxious amount of times, has it occurred to you to make the kill x/10 enemies task for 2 points something bigger like x/100 for 20 points or x/1000 for 200 points? Who in their right minds designed this and thought “Everybody is going to enjoy this meaningless interaction”. Unbelievable.

2 Likes

You know…

The amount of time and effort put in the Abyss expansion point that CCP trusted it to be the awesomest thing since sliced bread. It wasn’t.

Now the disconnect is even greater since CCP designed and implemented an event to make the supposedly awesome Abyss content even more awesome, but since the Abyss is actually a failed content the event just worsens the perception of failure. Everything that is wrong with the abysmal sites is made even wronger by the event, which also has brought a load of bugs of its own just to make things worse.

The Abyss has fizzled, CCP. Face it and learn from it.

All you, we, really needed was more damsels to rescue each now and then. And then a cosmetic reason to keep doing so. If the Abyss is the way you CCP think that PvE should go… well, don’t count on many people buying it as highsec space withers and dies and your chances to save EVE die along with it.

3 Likes

It’s really annoying how many of the events are linked and complete in rapid fire. Like the one to enter the abyss, complete room 1, complete room 2, complete room 3, feel like it should just auto complete on each step and add points on its own. If I were in a higher tier and worried about time like hell I’d go open the agency window and click the button each room. Likewise the mutation experiment chain felt really clunky use any, click agency window, a gravid, click agency window, an unstable, and click agency window. Not to mention expensive, the gravid prices spiked hard I assume mostly due to this quest step.

That and almost all the steps are worth what 2 points? to get to 1000, holy hell that’s a lot of grinding and clicking. I got to ~300 points and just said screw it and bought the skins.

the t1-3 don’t seem that bad. t1-2 seemed like they were pretty easy to roll over in a hac. Although not sure the t1-2 rewards are really worth much.

t3 starts to get a bit harder had to use my second rep in a few, and popped the ADC once. Although I think that was more due to unfamiliarity with the spawn and incorrect target prioritization. Going shiny would have made it easier too I’d think, I had a t2 and ancillary rep with a faction ADC on my sac so there was a lot of room to go shinier. Also I got a pretty nice drop, frig skill book + gravid 50mn in one can.

haven’t stepped into t4-5 yet, but sounds like that’s where it gets expensive.

2 Likes

Everything else aside, what annoys me and amazes me, is that the general consensus was that abyssals were not worth the risk / effort. So what you do is remove the suspect flag and introduce this event, which means increasing the supply for the exact items as before but without doing anything to increase the demand. The result? All the prices have crashed across the board whilst the price for the filaments to run the sites have more than doubled. For example, chaotic exotic filaments were under 20m ISK before the suspect flag was removed, last night they were 54m the cheapest. The same goes for the rest of them as well. I have forced myself to do chaotic firestorms instead as they were the cheapest, but after about 100 of those I’d rather just avoid them altogether. If you get a room with 6 starving leshaks in a chaotic firestorm, you better say your prayers.

1 Like

Secrets of the abyss Agency tab not working after completing the "complete and tier 5 abysal " 100 points mission.

2 Likes

I think part of the reason the gravid prices spiked is also due to market manipulation, easy money for people with deep pockets. I noticed this is a common trend in many areas of event items. I would probably be doing it if I had enough money. There isnt much quantity so it wouldnt be very hard.

I think you are being over hard on the base abyssal site design.

the abyss overall is attractive, innovative, quite beautiful, interesting and from a pure development viewpoint probably the best thing they have done in years, however…

And it is a big However. then the Marketing managers got hold of it.

everything that wrecks it is the “management” concepts, around risk reward, loot balance, difficulty, and the retarded “lets guarantee players blow up through no fault of their own with lovely death spawns” mechanic. couple this with the reality of the internet in the early 21 century, the Mac client “stability issues” CCp’s own engineering issues, and the script kiddies who love to bring down servers for giggles, and who wouldn’t think that putting in a hard death timer wasn’t a good idea?? /s

solution.

1. stop believing that PVE players enjoy losing months of work repurchasing ships and clones. they simply don’t…
  2. remove death timer, eject the player without his loot on timer expiry.
  3. remove death spawns or allow a “bail out” mechanic. again losing chance for loot in that site.
  4. have room 1 and 2 drop new filaments, lore items and so on, and have room 3 drop the mutaplasmids blueprints etc to encourage going through all rooms, not a death mechanic to Force that.
  5. Raise rewards in lower levels and reduce top level rewards. not having to do a cost benefit calculation, where expected returns are balanced around dying to inevitable random death spawns/disconnects.
  6. Alter mutaplasmids to give a weighted random but limited number of potential results, say four of each,
    ie:-
    A. Much better overall fitting,
    B. Slight overall tactical/damage improvement with slight overall fitting improvement
    C. Good overall tactical/damage improvement with slight overall fitting improvement
    D. Excellent overall tactical/damage improvement without overall fitting improvement

Basically there are 4 new modules per type created to be the result of mutaplasmid use rather than a near infinite number. (A very rare fifth could be added if desired, a “God mode” module result for marketing purposes, possible but AT ship rare…)

With better mutaplasmids allowing a blingier module to be worked upon and With a better chance of getting a better module ie a C or D level module rather than an A or B.
Limit these to :-

• Up to T2 for degraded
  • Faction for Gravid,
  • Deadspace for unstable, and NO Mutaplasmids on officer modules.

Then let them be listed on the market.

Those already created Good or bad can be kept and used or languish on contract, or why not even permit reuse of a Gravid, for a new roll of the dice.

There is then no need to have ANY scrapped/worthless modules. Whilst it is fun for “certain people” to gain great fun for witnessing Officer modules being destroyed on stream, It is like a Joke, Funny the first time but boring as hell after the second hearing.

The joke has been told, stop it now, If you actually want to have people engaging with this -potentially wonderful, but horribly flawed- new content.

You did the death spawns, You got the big publicity ship losses, the anger, and tears. You have gained all the publicity/marketing value out of that you will ever get.

Now it is time for the Abyss to grow up and become practical, reasonable and fun content, and become a valued member of the future of EVE.

9 Likes