Should I fly a cloaky nullified Legion, for PVP, with buffer tank or active tank?

I am fairly new to this game, only joined last autumn after seeing CCP’s FB ads. I am quite fascinated by Eve’s mystery and lore, and strive to be an informed player in this game.

Legion is a fascinating ship. I have been think about the fittings for roaming in high PVP risk regions, with both cloak and nullifier. First fit is buffer tank:

[Legion, Buffer]
Ballistic Control System II
True Sansha Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane
Damage Control II
800mm Steel Plates II
1600mm Steel Plates II

50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Warp Scrambler II

True Sansha Small Energy Neutralizer
Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
True Sansha Small Energy Neutralizer

Medium Trimark Armor Pump II

Legion Core - Augmented Antimatter Reactor
Legion Defensive - Covert Reconfiguration
Legion Offensive - Assault Optimization
Legion Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier

Hammerhead I x5

The second fit is active tank:

[Legion, Active]
True Sansha Medium Armor Repairer
True Sansha Armor Thermal Hardener
Damage Control II
Ballistic Control System II

Core B-Type 100MN Afterburner
Caldari Navy Warp Scrambler

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Medium Infectious Scoped Energy Neutralizer
Expanded Probe Launcher II

Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Medium Anti-Kinetic Pump II
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit II

Legion Core - Augmented Antimatter Reactor
Legion Defensive - Covert Reconfiguration
Legion Offensive - Assault Optimization
Legion Propulsion - Interdiction Nullifier

Hammerhead II x5

My understanding is that, obviously, for large fleet actions, buffer tank is better and for small-gang/solo actions, active tank is better. My past experience has been that the Legion very rarely steps into actual PVP, as I solo roam most of the time and most people are not interested to fight, unless, of course, I “ask” for it. It is worth noting that the the buffer tank version yield the EHP about 3 times as much as the active tank version.

How do you advise to configure such a PVP Legion? Do you have your own cloaky nullified Legion fits to recommend?

No you should not. After looking at your killboard, what are you trying to achieve with the Loki? You seem to be trying to up your game by flying bigger ships. Dont do this. It looks like you just closed your own corp Did you join Fac War with them? If so this is the perfect way to learn PVP success. Instead of buying a Loki buy 20 Punishers just like how you fit the last one you lost. Fly them all until you lose them. Fly them in novice complexs in FW space so you have a little more control of the fight. Even if you lose all 20 of them without getting a kill make sure you learn from the losses. Then by 20 more and lose them all again. By then you will start feeling more aligned with how PvP actually works.

The legion is an extremely hard ship to fit and fight in. We should see about finding you success before you try the Loki. Contact me in game, and i will be willing to answer a few questions you might have.

3 Likes

Listen to the man above, he’s trying to save you from some really embarrassing and depressing losses.

1 Like

Another hint, the cloaky subsystem has an active rep bonus.

1 Like

I appreciate that I received great inputs from Tristan, Abyss, and elitatwo. Insightful advices are always welcomed.

Speaking of my own player skill development, I spent much time watching YouTube PVP videos and playing FW with frigates and an implant-less clone, and I intend to continue enjoying FW as a cheap way to improve PVP skills. I am also exploring null and w-space PVP with bombers, which are also cheap. These are the main ways I PVP.

It is maybe some improvised research on this character’s killboard that leads some to believe I intend to PVP with a Legion and to lose a bunch of Legions??? To clarify, the above paragraph is my plan on player skill development and I have no intention to practise PVP with a Legion. However, it is my habit that I always fit high value ships PVP-ready, even at the cost of them being less effective in PVE, for obvious reasons. It is also my way to respect my friends that, in case of small-gang PVP actions, I fly Nomen / Orthrus / Legion / Whatever just like they do instead of some cheap side-kick destroyer.

I do want us to get back to the topic which is if cloaky nullified Legion should be buffer or active. I consulted few and they seem to agree that active has its unique benefits (one argument is that if the ship cannot survive for 2 mins, the encounter would be a loss anyway). That said, if anyone would like to continue giving me player skill development advice on this character or me in general, I welcome this with open arms.

Active tank is where you want to go. You need to remember to build a strong resist profile.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice here. I have since been reading a few actively fitted Legions and learned that with 1 Damage Control, 2 EANMs, 1 Thermal Hardener, and 1 repairer module, the Legion can achieve ~80% armor resistance and been liking that.

Even the BCS can be replaced by a Reactive Armor Hardener (uses cap) and achieve impressive results.

Anyway my few Legions have been making a fortune for me, and I hope PVP-fitting these casual Legions is not too paranoid.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.