Skilling Spree - Event Feedback

It’s entirely possible…I shoot what’s red, and if so that’s on me. But my point remains that the mob’s inescapable with really good skills, so there’s zero chance to survive. That’s OP for a 0.6 system, I think. And sorry this is posted here, I thought it was part of the bonus challenges /aplogy

2 Likes

AFAIK, the NPC miners aren’t red like rats and have a diamond-shaped icon next to their overview ID.

In any case, I completely agree with your assessment that these rats are OP for highsec in a non-mission situation.

Thank you for posting this information.

1 Like

As a new pilot to New Eden I enjoy the Skilling Spree. I would however suggest changing the challenges a bit. Maybe instead have 5 random objectives each day instead of one. Like enter a wormhole, hack a data site, build something with a blueprint, complete a combat anomaly, ect. Just random challenges that allow player to explore different aspects of the game instead of killing NPCs.

I find logging in and seeing I can only get 10,000 Sp for the day cause the thing randomly gave me the lowest reward is dull and quick to complete. If I could get a guaranteed 50,000 Sp each day, but I had to do more things in the game that would be much more fun. I feel like it would also get me to feel like I had more things to do in the game.

Being a new player I’m not established in any career path so my game time is often me wandering about trying different stuff. I like the starting career missions but once they were over I just kind of did my own thing. I think the game encouraging players to do certain task would help out the community as a whole. It would cause players who only do a specific thing in New Eden to branch out and try more. Possibly do something they did before but forgot how fun it was.

1 Like

They were most definitely reds.

I’m definitely interested in learning the explanation- if any is forthcoming- that CCP has for this incident.

Did you send a bug report?

No need for a bug report https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Pirate_forward_operating_base

3 Likes

Sry, ran away from those solo and dived back into the WH after Blackout.

Man, I have got to get out from under my rock and catch up on this game.

Hmmm, but its summer…

1 Like

Event Feedback. I enjoyed the free skill points from logging in each day. Who doesn’t like free stuff? However, I really think you need to sit down at the drawing board and present challenges of more complexity for higher amounts of skill points. Maybe its the bitter vet coming out in me, but killing a few red triangles every day repeatedly across multiple accounts is not fun for what seems to be a tiny amounts of skill points is just a grind. Don’t hold our hand, challenge us, reward us.

NPC miners can definitely be red. They have to be pirate-faction miners though. I’ve run into a few of them. You also get a negative standing from a pirate corp upon a kill, not with the faction.

4 Likes

The only real issue I have with this is the RNG element of it. Personally, this event doesn’t really interest me, but for other people, let them fill their boots.

The idea that Person X and Person Y can log in the same amount of days and do the same things but get different rewards just seems wrong.

1 Like

Aha- very good to know.

In this case- free SP for trivial tasks- unequal results don’t bother me… unlike me doing the same job IRL more effectively than an asshat who makes more money than me.

Now that’s wrong.

1 Like

Most likely that was a response fleet from a Forward Operating Base in the SYSTEM. Blood Raider & Gurista FOB’s have been spawning in hIsec for a very long time now. Their response fleet is very aggressive and uses both ewar & logi.

3 Likes

Sometimes I feel ppl lose themselves in the critics. Or show only theirs interest when complaining.
This is an event that will certainly make ppl play more and advance into the game, even if it’s one NPC.
Plz keep events like this up!

1 Like

Would’ve been nice if I had the chance to get some negative standing :confused: But it was a Blood Raider mob, so yes, pirate miners I guess. They’re still OP! LOL

1 Like

OK time to leave some feedback, I’ve been putting this off for a while to try and better organize my thoughts on the matter, but here goes.

I don’t really have anything against the event really, its more of a giveaway than an event, since the challenges are so simplistic and giveaways are very hard to complain about. What I object strongly to is the system underlying this giveaway: skill trading. Let me share my thoughts on the matter.

Disclaimer: the following is only my opinion people are perfectly welcome to disagree in the strongest terms with anything and everything written below.

First of all, this event is clearly a hook to try and get people invested into the skill trading system by giving them a ‘taste’ of the power that that the system provides. Similar to how many mobile FTP games would give limited tasters of premium items to try and get people to appreciate their in game value.

Now the skill trading system itself… well its a method which allows you to pay in order to skip part of the game. Once again mobile and some intentionally grindy non-mobile games implement similar ‘XP boosters’ which can be bought for similar effect. The result is that it de-values the gameplay and incentivizes the developer to make the game more grindy-er and less enjoyable to get more players to pay up. If your gameplay is worth paying money to skip, then it doesn’t belong in a game.

What gameplay elements is skill trading skipping? Well, let’s say you’ve got your sights set on a Rokh battleship for running level 4 mission (can’t stop the rokh!). Training a ‘decent’ rock pilot takes a couple of months through normal means. Along the way you train up the caldari frigate, destroyer etc. along with small and medium hybrid weapons. More than likely you’ll try other ships in the skill line while you’re waiting. You might for instance really enjoy flying a sniping cormorant for PvP, a gameplay style you never even considered before and there are dozens of other such opportunities along the skill-path to a rokh. If you simply inject the necessary skills, these alternative paths will never be explored, you’re at your destination immediately and the journey there was worthless :frowning:.

Skill trading also allows players to instantly jump into whatever the flavor of the month ship is. Found the VNI has been nerfed? No problem! every VNI pilot can be a Gila pilot almost immediately!. Needless to say, this damages in-game variety immensely, discourages inventiveness with ships and fittings and once again makes the journey to reach the destination worthless.

I often see people arguing that skill trading is a great boon for new players, due to the diminishing returns. Unfortunately Malcanis’ law applies even here. Who is going to make better use of skill injectors: a new player who wants to train into interceptors, or an experienced player who wants to train an interceptor alt? The experienced player of course! They have far more idea of what skills are relevant and are less likely to invest ‘wasted’ xp.

Finally skill injectors make both RMT and botting more profitable. Previously when someones account got hacked, when the owner got it back they would find their ISK drained, assets gone but still have their character. Now RMTers can sell off the skillpoints too, making more money and leaving the character(s) shadows of themselves. Rather than waiting to train up a new bunch of bots each time the previous set gets banned, botters can simply inject and start again where they left off. Also if there is any delay in banning them, they can simply strip the SP from their characters.

Now there are a few of technicalities to be addressed: namely that skill injectors can’t be directly bought with real money, that skills aren’t (except in events like this one) produced from thin air; someone trained them and you are just out-sourcing the training for a sum of ISK and that the character bazaar allowed this previously.

The fact that there are a couple of steps removed between paying a sum of money, and getting injectors does not invalidate the fact that it is so. This is similar to game companies arguing that loot boxes aren’t gambling because there are steps removed between buying their in-game currency and buying loot boxes. We know they’re just getting away with it on a technicality. Same here, XP is available for real money (with a couple of roundabout steps) thus pay-to-skip is available.

Now regarding the fact that all skills are trained by other players. Its a good argument, and would have been a fatal one to many of my points if NOTHING had changed in the way people train skills after the introduction of trading. As it happens, things have changed. Skill farms exist, dozens to hundreds of player accounts owned by a single person for the sole purpose of milking XP (think The Matrix). These aren’t players you are buying most of the XP from, who want to trim some skills, or make some quick ISK, they are simply sedentary accounts which exist for no other purpose.

Finally the character bazaar, this allows trading of characters between players for the cost of 1000 plex or the cash equivalent. How does this differ from skill injectors? Well, I haven’t always been too happy with the bazaar either, since players train characters for the sole purpose of selling them there. The big difference is that, when buying the character, you get some of the history and prestige that the character has amassed in New Eden. Skill injectors once again just skip this whole thing and you get to the destination without ever appreciating the journey.

These are my thoughts on the matter anyway. I’ve pretty disillusioned with the state of (macro) transactions in EVE which have slowly crept in since Incarna.

Just some food for thought.

-Caterpil

5 Likes

my character has been based in a wormhole for the past 3 years.

Every day i have played EVE, there are approx 4 to 6 combat sites at minimum in the wormhole…plus some ore sites

now that the skilling spree / kill NPC’s for skill points adventure has arrived, All the combat sites have disappeared

Not one NPC in the wormhole today.

Why instigate additional gameplay for rewards when at the same time you remove the ability to attain those rewards ?

1 Like

Holy ■■■■, man. Leave your wormhole

2 Likes

Dear CCP my hole is broken

Sorry couldn’t resist :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes