Sojourn: The Abyss

So I delved into the Abyss extensively in past few days, and I have some thoughts about the scarce data that my ship scanners could gather.

1. There are planets that dont look like there would be life on them.

2. Stars other than in actual abyssal system are not visible.

3. There is a lot of stuff around, asteroids, all kinds and sizes of objects like planetesimals, also dust clouds. Very chaotic environment, also gravitationally.

I think that suggests protoplanetary disks or systems in process of creation, accretion of material for planets. Systems where planets are still forming. Dust and gas in such protoplanetary disks would prohibit light of distant stars from coming to the location where we can reach Abyssal space. The planets seen seem to be terrestial cores or early life gas giants dense cores, bombarded constantly with stuff.

That is why I think Triglavians themselves seem to be a migrant culture living only in space, not on planets. The lack of big structures other than “pylons”, the lack of habitations look like its completely migrant culture where people live on their ships, probably on limited resources, where synthetic food is a must, cellular agriculture maybe, where bioengineered bacteria make stuff you could eat.

2 Likes