Spaceships density

As detailed here, a really quick and dirty way to figure out the mass of a spacecraft is to multiply it’s volume by it’s average density. Some of the example densities given are 0.28 ton/m^3 for commercial airliners, 0.35 ton/m^3 for fighter aircraft, 0.5-0.6 ton/m^3 for modern warships, and 0.9 ton/m^3 for submarines.

So if you lack a more in-depth study on what your spacecraft’s mass would be, you can always do that. If not to the entire spacecraft, even to just a part of it.

However, I didn’t see any actual spacecraft on the list, but Orbiter provides an easy platform to find out several values, since it contains meshes (from which volume can be deduced), a tool to measure the volume of the mesh, and multiple examples.

So;

STS orbiter- 0.088 ton/m^3

ISS- 0.074 ton/m^3

Mir- 0.175 ton/m^3

HST- 0.061 ton/m^3

STS ET- 0.011 ton/m^3*

STS SRB- 0.206 ton/m^3*

Leonardo MPLM- 0.058 ton/m^3

LDEF - 0.049 ton/m^3

S-IC - 0.05 ton/m^3*

And some fictional examples:

DeltaGlider- 0.049 ton/m^3

ShuttleA- 0.045 ton/m^3

Dragonfly- 0.101 ton/m^3

Carina- 1.666 ton/m^3

*Large portion of volume is dedicated to propellant.

Which yields some interestingly low numbers (except for Carina, which is denser than a submarine). Of course, I was a little less patient with Mesh Wizard, so the numbers aren’t as accurate as they could be.
I would like to see a table with the New Eden spaceships density. Anyone have something similar?

Are you sure you wanted to post this in New Citizens Q&A? I presume Fiction Portal matches far better…

4 Likes

I was expecting a bumping whine thread. I leave disappointed…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.