To Salvage or not to Salvage

Magnus Witchspace
Are you not listening to what I’m saying? Take what was salvaged while you were busy shooting. You’re doing two things at once.

No that’s not what you said. You said “Drop a MTU, shoot everything and then collect what your MTU dragged in whilst you were busy”.

read yourself, man. You only talked about looting what your mtu collected while you were shooting. Yes it takes not much time (exccept that often you have finished the site while the MTU is still collecting wrecks, and you start a new site, and have to wapr back to your mtu later, which takes some time). But you did not say anything about salvaging. Salvage requires either to use salvagers modules, after all npcs have been killed, (and it takes some time), or to use salvaging drones while you are shooting at the same time (if you don’t care about loosing some dps)

i am not sure that you really know what salvage is, i think that you are talking about loot

I’m not understanding the disconnect here. I can shoot and ■■■■ off or I can shoot and simultaneously collect loot and salvage. It takes the same amount of time. What is so hard to understand? If you don’t shoot, loot and salvage simultaneously, you’re throwing isk away.

1 Like

At least for me it takes longer to loot+salvage, which I’m guessing it does for many others too. Granted I’m not very efficient - I throw out a MTU, burn away from the main mass of NPCs and start picking them off. The basic MTU doesn’t gather wrecks very fast, my battleship isn’t very fast and salvaging with drones isn’t very fast. Going back for a salvaging ship takes time too, so bringing an alt would probably be best.

But it can certainly be worth looting and salvaging. Did a lvl4 security mission called “Smash the Supplier” yesterday and the loot in my hold was evaluated at about 76 million. Most of it in the Amarr tags ofc, so the salvaging was still “bad” if you only look at ISK/hour.

Ah ok. It might be based on the ship you fly. I drop 1 or maybe 2 MTUs (depending on the mission), deploy salvage drones after a couple mins and sit still in my Golem. The MTUs don’t fight amongst themselves if you get the salvaging going early.

1 Like

That’s where the point is. You fly a golem. With bastion mode etc.
Your way of playing won’t apply well to those people who fly somethg else (a VNI, a rattlesnake, or a carrier).

Yep. Yep. I totally agree. I’m thinking of downgrading, actually. The Golem is far too overpowered for L4 missions. There is no danger at all. It’s not fun!

at this moment the pocket is almost done. If not yet done.

I say loot and salvage everything, especially if you like to dabble around in production/manufacturing.

Some mission wrecks such as Merc NPC’s all contain loot which can be liquidated for ISK and reprocessed for minerals which can be sold in the Market or used for manufacturing items. The salvage from those wrecks can also be sold for ISK or used to manufacture Rigs to sell in the Market.

For missions containing a lot of wrecks, I use a Noctis which quickly clears the field within a few minutes. For missions containing a small amount of wrecks, I’ll launch a flight of Salvage Drones and by the time I’m done ‘Cherry-Picking’ through the loot, they’ve usually cleared the field of wrecks.

Every once in a while I’ll just salvage medium and large wrecks to minimize time. Those have a much higher chance of success to retrieve salvage materials compared to small hull class wrecks.

2 Likes

I should have added that. I manufacture everything I need. No need to visit shyteholes full of idiots.

1 Like

For many missions, yes. But I also manufacture. Mining is not an attractive option for me.

1 Like

Same here, I’ve rarely ever done any mining in this game, I usually do a full clear of all loot and salvage after each mission. I sell the high ISK value items and then reprocess all the rest for minerals that I keep for manufacturing. I also keep all salvage materials for manufacturing.

I collect everything the mission has to offer before going on to the next mission. I also take the time to destroy structures in the site to get loot drops from those as well. Most items that drop in this game can be used for something, either as a material for manufacturing or as a mission objective.

2 Likes

Since I have been able to salvage over 20 million (yes salvage, not loot) in certain missions, it would be foolish for me to stop doing it since it adds very little to my overall mission complete time when using a Marauder, MTU, and salvage drones.

2 Likes

1 you need to go to school and learn how to count
2 you need to buy “watch” and measure time

using 1 and 2 you need to divide Profits to time…
and compare…

While 100% true, blitzing Lv4 missions and running burners (and by extention almost never salvaging/looting) makes you a lot more.

Not everyone in this game is looking to Min/Max ISK grind, some people like to take their time, have fun, enjoy themselves and engage in all the content that’s available.

6 Likes

I will only ever bring up the isk/h reality when someone else bases their recommendation of an activity on isk earned in that activity.

If their recommendation is based on how much fun they find the activity regardless of how much isk they earn then I don’t really have a leg to stand on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.