Trying to be a miner in null-sec is boring

WAAAHHH! Me take my ball and go home!

Not true. It’s not easy in null for a 10 day old, but there is no reason you can’t find something to do in this game solo

1 Like

Same kind of folks who say things like ‘hot water heater’ and ‘ATM machine’

Maybe He can’t play this solo. I heard that panfam is newbie friendly, maybe you can invite him. We need fresh players because many are unsubbing because of the nerfs ccp are doing

No, it’s not “then don’t play the game” at all - it’s more if an entity can enforce their claim to a territory then it’s theirs to the extent they can enforce it is theirs. In nullsec (0.0-security space) the process is a bit more formalized with entities gaining and holding Sovereignty over a particular territory.
“Law” in EvE is dispensed from and maintained by a gun.

Well…thanks for trying EvE I guess…really I don’t think you experienced EvE enough, but of course as you wish.
All the best to you in your future gaming endeavors o7

2 Likes

“Covenants, without the sword, are but words and of no strength to secure a man at all.”
-Hobbes

3 Likes

Well, eve is most definitely not going to appeal to everyone, but It seemed like you were enjoying the game. So, I’m kind of curious as to what exactly changed.

1 Like

I found your problem. This is not a game to be played solo. Especially non outside of High-Sec and staying in High-Sec would be too miserably boring.

Maybe I do something wrong ?
I play solo in null 95% of my playtime since 2007… oh my god…

2 Likes

So do i, but as Eve is not for everyone, soloing Eve is not for every capsuleer.

2 Likes

Good for you?
But OP is not you.

He might not have the knowledge, experience, or perspective to EVE Online that would allow him to “play solo in nulll 95% of his playtime”… It’s almost as if some people are different than others. oh my god…

3 Likes

What changed… The more I play and learn about EVE the more I feel like my efforts are for nothing, the more I realize I won’t get to do a quarter of the things that make up the game due to lack of time, friends, Omega and ISK.
I feel that all I’m doing is spinning my tires and going nowhere. I don’t want to spend anymore time on a game that makes me feel like I’m wasting my time and that all I’m doing in the game will be for nothing because of a few things I will never control, like their “age of chaos”… As if our lives weren’t chaotic enough already… or the crazy price of things on the market, as if I’ll ever have that kind of regular isk income to afford to lose a ship with all its modules every two days. I’m not Crassus.
I’m not rich enough to play EVE and I’m not about to grind in a game where I’m punished by the devs for having too much stuff or forbidden to grind for resources by other players who prefer I be cannon fodder than capsuleer.
Well, I’m not about to spend time, effort and money to be cannon fodder for others’ gaming pleasure or please the devs by playing exactly how they want me to play in, of all things, a Sandbox.

Well, stop being so rude to people and thinking you know everything and you might get further quicker in general.

2 Likes

It’s a MMO game, when the fun stops you should stop. I rarely login myself to the bot swollen drivel of a game. Really just occasionally to purchess rares from pve’s. At least on the forums you interact with people, the lowest denominator but still peeps.

3 Likes

I had that feeling too. I read a lot about EvE and was eager to try out many areas. You can do that as well. But you need some time to get the appropriate skills, and the appropriate ISK. Another big disadvantage is that every second day you have to think about something else, but you don’t have the skills for it. I’m not saying it should be different, but in the beginning I had problems to wait one or two days for something, as a newbie you want to use it immediately. Now I can only smile tiredly when I need a month for a Skill V.

What I mean to say is that you should be prepared to go a long way if you want to try many things, so don’t get discouraged. Set yourself some permanent goals and pursue them. For the smaller things you can create alpha alts with 1M SP (recruiting friends) and use them, or go to SiSi test server and try things out, it costs only 100 ISK.

After 2-3 years everything looks different.

1 Like

Okay, that’s a bit to unpack.

First, there is a lot to do in the game, but that’s a positive for me. Whenever I start getting tired of something, I go do something else. It keeps things from getting to stale and boring for me. And I feel like there’s still enough stuff to keep me engaged for years to come.

Second, newbros tend to get funneled into activities that make them garbage money, like venture mining or running missions. So, a lot guys tend to spin their tires for a bit before they start figuring out ways to make decent money. Now, things will be a little bit more difficult for you as an alpha, but you are not locked into garbage money. In fact, you can make enough to plex your account. I know it sounds kind of silly to tell you to do your homework, but there are a lot of excellent resources out there for making money as an alpha (youtubers tend to exagerate the amount of money you can make for clicks, but they often give good information). And there are a decent amount of options, so you should be able to find something that fits with your playstyle, preferred level of risk, budget, and skills. Options include, but are not limited to, exploration, the Abyss, incursions, and ratting. Many groups will often have isk making guides and/or PvE opportunities for newbros. So, that’s also an option.

Anyway, you will be able to afford more expensive ships as you increase your isk efficiency, but don’t fall into the trap of thinking you need expensive ships in order make money or win at PvP. Players skill is still the number one factor in determining outcomes, and that’s something that you can’t buy. Oh, and btw, I’ve been playing for 5 years and have wee bit of isk in my bank account, and I still fly modestly priced ships (including T1 cruisers and destroyers). This is a pvp centric game with a full loot death mechanic, and I’m not looking to fritter my money away on blinged out fits that I don’t even need.

Okay, I’m not sure how to concisely depict how players interact with each other. Like, there are players that will happily kill you and take your stuff, but

• you get a lot of security through obscurity. Don’t put a target on your back, and no one will come looking for you. They may try to kill you if they come across you, but they won’t actively hunt you.
  • Many players would rather make friends with you than shoot you.
  • It’s really not that hard to learn how to avoid PvP. It’s getting kills that’s a bit more tricky.
  • there is a constant rotation of players in Eve. Yes, there are some guys who have been playing since beta, but most of the players aren’t nearly that old. Moreover, age is not as good of a predictor of player skill as you might think. Of course, you’re still young, and still have plenty to learn, but it really won’t take you that long to get yourself onto the same level as the average player.
  • you don’t need to consign yourself to prey, even as a newbro. You can be a predator. And you don’t need a bunch of SP or isk to get started. All you need is a willingness to fail, the ability to learn from your mistakes, and a little determination.

Anyway, this is turning into a wall of text. So, I guess I’ll stop here. And I won’t pester you anymore. Of course, feel free to ask questions if you want, but I’ll respect your decision to quit.

Oh, and you should ignore Brewlar Kuvakei. He’s a bitter vet with wild misconceptions.

6 Likes

You’re used to games and MMO’s where you are a god, the savior™ and everything is about you. In EVE everyone starts out as just another clown and in most cases it will stay that way, to a degree.

Only the really good players will float to the top, this requires effort and time because it’s more about you as a player and how good you are, how well you can affect, influence and communicate with others. Less so about your character’s skills or ship options.

The best way to end up “not a clown” is to become a content creator (in game), people who for what ever reason stand out. Perhaps they have a really different play style, perhaps they interact in an interesting and meaningful way with others, perhaps they’re just really really good at their chosen play style. It’s, again, about YOU as a player and your advancement rather than your character’s. That is also why it’s fine to be alpha and to be “behind” on skill points, as they do not really affect you as a player, only your character.

This is VERY different from all other games and most MMO’s, it’s going to take time and effort to get used to that and accept it, it’s certainly not for everyone. But at the very least it’s a worthwhile goal to aim for. At least it’s better than “get my character’s lvl to max and do some raids for gear, only to have those goals made redundant with the next expansion”. Also, there’s nothing wrong with being “just another clown”.

Every new player in EVE, unless they’re being coached, will at some point have this fight or flight reaction: either “oh god this is not for me” or “oh god, well lets see what we can make out of this”. Would be a waste to go back to boring games where you’re special and can’t do anything wrong, so very boring.

3 Likes

10 days, what are you mining in a venture?

Mining solo is boring best done semi-afk, that’s a lot harder these days thanks to CCP. Only went on one mining operation in null, which was mining ice as we needed the fuel, found that even more boring.

There is no safety in high-sec. In null people used to mine and rat then run to a POS when a hostile entered the system thanks to local chat. In some ways high-sec is worse as someone not hostile to you can just open up on you without any warning other than the weapons lock.

1 Like

EvE is not a space sim.

EvE doesn’t even use Newtonian physics as it might if it were trying to be a space sim. EvE uses “New Eden” physics intended to facilitate gameplay.

The appeal of EvE is mainly in it’s social interaction aspects.

Although EvE can certainly be played solo, I’d…uh…venture to guess the majority of players who stick around a while do so in large part due to the connections they make with other players.

Even folk who often play the actual game solo are often connecting with other players in various ingame chat channels/discords/etc.

Solo mining is probably one of if not the fastest way to boredom in this game. Even mining fleets are more interesting…

In only 10 days one doesn’t know enough about any game to pontificate about it correctly, sorry friend.

1 Like

Well except by “Solo” you mean multiboxing a minimum of 3 accounts.

I guess EVE just isn’t for me, no biggie. Plenty of other games to go 'round.

And don’t worry, ignoring is one of my spécialités :slight_smile:

2 Likes