Turret Fire Sounds

Yes, have you ever been inside a submarine with a howitzer fixed on top of it and bolted into the frame of your sub, and have it fire while you’re inside?

Speaking from experience by the way. Served 7 years in the royal howitzer submarine brigade before our only sub in the fleet sank from being attacked by orcas.

1 Like

Better than physics 101 as an answer. I actually laughed a little. In fact there was subs with big guns like that, I think the Japanese had one. In any case.,…

I’ll never feel safe around a mining fleet again.

The biggest gun on a sub I recall was french surcouf with it’s 205mm twin guns. I think You were thinking of this one :wink:

1 Like

It was surprisingly common - the German U-Boats in WW2 often carried 88mm deck guns - sinking a merchantman with gunfire rather than an expensive and possibly unreliable torpedo was often preferred, until they started to arm merchant ships.
There were experiments with bugger guns - I recall the Fench had a submarine with cruiser turret on it: that’ll be something like a pair of 8" guns in a mount. The idea was a “Submarine Heavy Cruiser” - which sort of combines the worst of all worlds. How you handle fire control (range finding) and stability (submarines normally ride badly on the surface), how fast you can go from “turret full of seawater” to “firing the gun” (ideally before the enemy spots and sinks you) are just nasty challenges.

1 Like

The old autocannons/artillery sounds were amazing, one proper “Raaatatatatatatata…!!”

I even felt so proud of those sounds that I named my ships after them…

Now they just sounds like a WET FART. “pffrrrrrt” “pfffrrtt” …

yes you read/heard that right,

WET FART…

“pffrrt pffrt …”

Please fix this, and maybe, just maybe, I’ll bring my sub back.

1 Like

In Kamio there are about 25 CODE Orca’s AFK ice-mining.

I might have been.

Actually it was cheaper too, that was why Q-ships were invented.

It was French your right, but I have a memory that the Japs did something too, but I could be wrong on that because they had the best torpedo of the second world war. The issues were as you said.

o7 to the both of you.

They did, but it was using a smaller calibre gun - I think they had a handful of boats built (again, as I recall) and somewhat more successful than the single French boat.

WW2 period submarines (until late in the war) were less “submarine” as “a fast torpedo boat that can submerge for short periods”. The idea of the deck gun was to give the option to a captain to not use a torpedo - “expensive” because he only has room to carry a few. If the target is likely to shoot back, then you don’t want to expose your largely unarmoured ship to them.
(In Eve they would be like Stealth Bombers that couldn’t warp while cloaked).

If you want an interesting story of a miserable way to fight war for a pointless end read Das Boot by Lothar-Günther Buchheim (based on his experiences as a reporter on U-96 - English translations are available).

Anyway, back the original point:
I should apologise for: BANG! two, three. This is Minmatar artillery we are dealing with. That should be MISS, two, three, four, five, six, seven…

From having played with modest size lasers (14w constant beam Argon lasers) the main noise is “cooling fans on the power supply”. I suspect the OP doesn’t want “realism” but “what I imagine it should sound like”.

We’re discussing the sounds of things…in space.

Also , sounds on the moon? Physics? …so glad there is a war in eve

We’re discussing sounds in a game. Please pay attention.

2 Likes

ok genius …I’m listening.

Pay attention to the discussion. Are you daft?

just once I wish you’d say you miss me. You never write me back…uncle jimmie sent you the beans – you said NOTHING.

There is no sound in space, also in eve. Things we hear are sounds generated by pod. If we want to be correct with lore.

1 Like

What japanese did was submersible aircraft carriers. Innovative hull design to support ability to launch whooping 3 planes per ship :wink:

To my knowledge if we wanted to make lasers fully realistic they would be no visible beams, and the only sound would be cooling fans as you say :wink:

In a realistic Eve, we would never be allowed to fly spaceships because the government would have kept the technology all for themselves.

The game isn’t realistic to begin with, not even close. Anyone using “due to realism” is either just trolling or not very bright, neither are conducive to a good conversation.

yes yes pls, me too. shouldn’t be a big deal right ccp?
kkthxbye

I’m an Amarrian pilot. I want the lighting to dim and the world go quiet when I divert all the power to fire the lasers. So saying, I’ve Hue Smart lighting here - there’s got to be something I can rig up…

I want squeaky toy for gun sounds demmit :grin: