Very Large Null Alliances Balancing Proposal

Evidence of what? That there’s a workaround? Just because a workaround exists for the very specific needs of your corporation/alliance doesn’t mean that all your members are completely cool with ‘never going into highsec’ if your corporation ignores the fee. It is an inconvenience for many playstyles. Ultimately you may lose a lot of members who are half-hearted in your unifying justification for them to not go into highsec unless they use their alts just for transport. There’s content that they are missing that they would likely want to consume between wars and such.

:wink:

First, I don’t know why so many people think nullsec is static and no one fights. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t a coalition die this year, and isn’t there a major war going on right now?

Second, assuming that we’d want to discourage massive player groups, I think a better design philosophy would to design mechanics that encourage players to form smaller groups, rather than design mechanics that punish players for forming large ones.

2 Likes

“Again, the costs are insignificant. Even if they weren’t, the alliance leaders would simply order every corporation to raise taxes (my own corporation’s taxes are set at like 21% or something like that), and then use the increased revenue from taxes to pay off the fees. Nothing changes.”

And how would all the members feel about that increased tax rate? Uniformly obedient? Hey if that actually happens then I bow to your predictive skills but I sincerely doubt it.

Look, Doug, just create a super group of 10’000 people and make me the director of the alliance. I’ll run it for you, and then you can get lots of easy isk to fund whatever smallgroup stuff you enjoy. It’s easy, right?

While I understand the default desire to never nerf and only buff, I don’t see any reasonable way to go about that when talking about organizing groups. I don’t agree with say, smaller groups having any combat advantage over a larger group. In this case I think discouragement is the answer.

I think I prefer an environment fought by a lot more smaller alliances against each other than taking your sweet offer of making the game easy mode for me. Appreciate the offer though.

So you could create a super group of 10’000 people if you wanted, but you just don’t want to right? It’s super easy, but you don’t want to do it?

It’s not that organizing to that level is easy - I don’t doubt it’s hard. However that doesn’t mean that there shouldn’t be some discouragement in order to maintain that size. I think fees accomplish a balance where you can still grow to your heart’s content, but you need to pay. It also acts as an isk sink targetted for null.

Well, if it’s hard, then there is no need to discourage it.

The difficulty is its own challenge.

Well that was fun for a while, but I’m bored with this troll now. Good luck with your wild ideas.

1 Like

I disagree. I think the benefits are too great and unbalancing at a game-wide level for any level of difficulty to justify it.

Not a troll but thanks for your responses Scoots - have a great evening.

So like… I don’t like to judge people by their appearances, but you had the option to look any way you wanted and this is what you went for

Just saying :smiley:

But on a serious note, yes, the above posters have been rather sharp with their tongues and could have been nicer to you as a person, but they are not wrong in their criticism of your idea. Your points are indeed, as Merin put it earlier, a solution in need of a problem. You are not addressing a problem, you are not enhancing a game, you are not discouraging undesirable player dynamics or encouraging desirable ones, and you are not addressing the innumerable negative consequences or work-arounds. There’s nothing wrong with conceding that the idea has no merit. We appreciate that you care enough about the game to put forth a proposal, but the proposal is dead weight. Learn from the failure and move on to other ideas that do in fact have merit, but more importantly don’t propose a change to the game just for the sake of change: if it doesn’t fix or enhance the game, it doesn’t need to change.

That your proposed ISK values are laughably low, to the point that a single player in a nullsec alliance could easily pay the entire cost.

Just because a workaround exists for the very specific needs of your corporation/alliance doesn’t mean that all your members are completely cool with ‘never going into highsec’ if your corporation ignores the fee.

Many/most nullsec alliances are already under permanent wars so this changes nothing. You either use an alt for highsec or die often.

OK if it’s specifically the numbers that are the issue then what do you suggest is a significantly high enough fee? I can concede that we can increase the fee.

While there are some counterpoints to consider - I don’t see any evidence presented that outright makes this idea moot. I don’t think that player behavior is as predictable as you think. Just like what’s going on with the trig system changes - CCP doesn’t have a crystal ball on to the effects of that decision. They have created an event that shakes things up and the result will be unpredictable.

Either it is easy to create a large alliance, or it isn’t.

If it is easy, then do it yourself.

If it is not easy, then it does not need a nerf.

Again disagree. Difficulty of attainment doesn’t mean there should be infinite advantage without some balance.

here is a clue…

there is already discouragment…
Multiple voice comm platforms…
mandatory forums
mandatory API(ESI) security checks
IT ppl being on some sort of payroll (isk or RL cash) to create and maintain 3rd party sites, program discord bots, etc etc.

Some of the null groups have created RL LLC’s to pay for their web services!!!

like jesus christ…STFU OP.

you have no clue what you are talking about, and your solutions will never work.

1 Like

Those are all out-of-game challenges and tools you made. It is not an in game consequence. With your logic I can suggest that players who just PLEX mass amounts of isk should have full unlimited advantage without balance. Of course that isn’t the reality right now - you can have all the money in the world but a lower skilled person can counter whatever ship you set up. There’s always the possibility of being outsmarted.