What exactly happens with Antimatter in EVE?

All good, take your time.

My primary reason for thinking it’s definitely not is somewhat intuitive, based partly in what the term “nuclear” usually connotes, rather than just its strict definition.

Usually, I’d expect a “nuclear” reaction or process or whatever to have something very important to do with the specific elements (not compounds-- too big; not sub-atomic particles-- too small) involved-- exact atomic number, that kind of thing. One element decays and divides into others, or else fuses and combines into another. Maybe there are exceptions, but that, to me, is the essence of a nuclear reaction: elements changing their atomic numbers by various mechanisms to become other elements.

Antimatter, as far as I can gather (partly from reading xkcd, etc.), is basically just like matter-- except that touching any very substantial amount of it will give you and everyone near you a bad day. Anti-hydrogen is just like ordinary hydrogen; anti-helium, as I understand it, seems to behave like ordinary helium. (Of course, we haven’t had all that much opportunity to play around with it in large quantities.) If I’ve got this right, probably we could expect anti-uranium to decay just like our uranium, anti-plutonium to act just like ours, anti-astatine and the anti-transuranics to be just as absurdly unstable.

If antimatter of any kind contacts matter, though, what’s important doesn’t have a thing to do with atomic numbers, except insofar as those numbers relate to mass. Equivalent masses of matter and antimatter cancel each other out, no matter what kind of matter/antimatter they’re made of.

To me, that’s not nuclear, because it’s not related particularly to anything having to do with the nucleus. Maybe physics, as a field, says something different, but the differences in terminology I’ve been running into on articles about each suggest that they’re close enough to share a lexicon, but far enough apart to have different jargon.

My actual area of expertise is more in the humanities-- and the use of language in particular. (English major, then lawyer.) To me, swathing two possibly-related topics in different technical language implies a desire to avoid confusion-- that is, to make sure nobody thinks you’re talking about one, when you’re actually talking about the other.

This is admittedly based on an impression, not an exhaustive survey of the surrounding language (I guess in the sciences it’d be called a hypothesis), but it seems to me like they’re neighbors who don’t want deliveries getting made to the wrong address, so to speak.

I tend to look at it this way (brushes off Theo.Phys degree):

Terminology: so you know what I mean when I use words.
Matter meeting Anti-matter is an annihilation - there is no fundamental force involved in the interaction.
Nuclear reactions tend to be those relating to the Weak Force - the force that bind nucleons (Neutrons and Protons) together in an atomic nucleus. It’s this force that is responsible for nuclear fusion and fission in the same way that the electromagnetic force does for chemical reactions. In these cases, the energy released is due to a change in the energy stored in the bonds the forces cause.
It’s all semantics really - terms are whatever they are agreed to be defined as; the above is what I’d normally view as reasonable definitions. It really doesn’t matter much here…

Don’t under-estimate the energy density in a matter/anti-matter annihilation. For example, the fission bomb that destroyed Hiroshima released the same energy as 350mg of anti-matter would in annihilation with the same mass of matter. That’s a total mass annihilated of about a quarter of a penny coin.
The mass conversion is calculated through the rather famous e=mc^2 mass/energy equivalence formula.

You would normally try and store antimatter in a magnetic cage in a hard vacuum - basically the aim is to stop it coming into contact with any matter or highly energetic bad things happen [technical term!]. It is easier to store charged anti-particles rather than neutral anti-atoms (which are just anti-protons, anti-neutrons and anti-electrons) because a charged particle can be contained by a magnetic field.

When annihilation occurs, the energy is released as a shower of high energy random particles obeying the various conserved characteristics (charge/colour/spin/mass-energy etc). For an electron / anti-electron (positron) collision that tends to be a couple of high energy photons (gamma rays) because there isn’t a lot of mass to start with. For heavier particles, or more energetic (high speed) collisions, then all sorts of interesting debris/crap can be produced. This is what the LEP does at CERN - it uses high energy Electron/Positron annihilation to create new particles.

As to the original question: How big a bang would result from antimatter containment failure on a spaceship? It depends on the amount of antimatter held on board - and that depends on how much energy the spaceship needs to operate. It’s analogous to “how big a bang will this car make if the petrol tank blows up?” answer: “depends on how much petrol is in the tank”. What the explosion would practically look like (“prettiness”) depends on the interaction of the energy released by the annihilation with the physical material of the ship.
How much antimatter is going to be held is rather a matter of speculation given the general strange nature of the universe in the Eve Online Physics model.
In general, the annihilation of any visible quantity of anti-matter will produce a substantial event.

2 Likes

Okay, that clears things up a lot. Thank you. I don’t know where I got the notion that antimatter annihilation is a nuclear reaction from. But this seems to be in keeping with what the academic papers in the scientific journals I’ve been reviewing last night were saying. It’s been awhile since I had to think about this sort of thing, so errors in thinking can creep in.

I guess I’ll have to concede this point.

The mass conversion is calculated through the rather famous e=mc^2 mass/energy equivalence formula.

If I recall correctly, the theoretical energy output for matter-antimatter reaction is on the order of 4 MeV per unit mass as opposed to fusion’s ~ 1 MeV. Assuming every particle interacts with its antiparticle.

Tannia,
Don’t worry about the terminology. Some situations are confusing: for example a proton / anti-proton interaction is an interaction between two nucleons (nuclear particles). They unavoidably annihilate before they can go through any other reaction. I knew what you were talking about, sufficient to follow your thoughts.

The relative energy release between Nuclear Reactions and Annihilation are much greater than you think. The classic deuterium/tritium fusion to Helium and fast neutron releases about 18MeV (had to look that up), and is one of the more energetic reactions. Annihilation of the same mass of nucleons releases about 5GeV (250x more).

In practice the question for Amarrian ships is what the antimatter fuel production looks like - it’s not like digging uranium out of the ground and purifying it. Antimatter takes a lot of energy to produce (as much as it releases plus’s losses). I can imaging huge stations close to a star, using solar power to form antimatter for feeling space ships and the rest of the Empire. Bottled sunshine in golden hulls.

1 Like

Oh god, no I never imagined it would be like digging up uranium. But, yes those energy output levels are higher than I had thought.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.