What is going on?

Been Having this same issue. On Fios on the Middle East Coast of the U.S. Getting 800+ mbps down and up… cannot connect to EVE currently. Last couple days random disconnects. As Wade mentioned, sometimes itll be one of my 2 clients that gets the boot. Other times itll be one, then ill log in and then the other will go. This is infuriating as it always seems to happen right when im taking some critical action (targetting, trying to escape a bad situation, etc.) At this point i cant play the game and my renewall time for Omega is approaching and im considering not renewing if this keeps up. Not gonna pay for a game i cant play.

1 Like

Just a little detail, behind the scenes of how the internet works (this is simplified, because the actual detail isn’t hugely important for understanding):

You have a connection to your ISP.
Your ISP has a number of connections to other companies.
Those companies have connections to other companies.
lather, rinse, repeat
CCP have a number of connections to other companies. (known as peers)

Now, what happens is, CCP use a protocol known as BGP to advertise that they look after a range of IP addresses. The next company up the chain passes onto the people connected to it, that they have a connection for those IPs, with a range of 1 hop. Their connections say that they know how to get to those IPs with 2 hops. And so on.

so when it comes to you connecting, you just send it up to your ISP, who look at their lists of who looks after what, and send the data down the link with the lowest number of hops for that IP. (This is a routing table :smiley: )

Now, an important point with this is, while you may be able to get to other sites on the internet, there may be a bad entry in someone’s routing table somewhere along the path to CCP. Maybe someone disconnected the link. Brushed against a cable which was a little loose. Rebooted the wrong router. Either the link fixes itself, or, in a relatively short time, it’ll reroute the traffic (Assuming people configured things right at that intermediate company. Which isn’t as sure a thing as you might hope.)

Just because you can’t get to CCP, doesn’t mean it was actually a problem that CCP could do anything about. Now, they do some remedial work when they see big drop offs, to try and get things to route around problems with other people. Turning off a link on their side, to force the traffic to go through a different peer. That kind of thing. There’s not much more they can do, because if they were to complain to someone like AT&T, they’d just get laughed at. They’re not a customer there.

SiSi is in a completely different data centre, so something which takes out TQ wouldn’t touch it.

As for why some characters drop, while others don’t, Eve’s pretty sensitive to lost traffic. But it also doesn’t send much traffic, when you aren’t doing anything with it. so a background character might well survive a blip which takes out an active one (as it didn’t send any traffic to be lost. )

Sure, some of it may be CCP’s fault. But it a good chunk of it won’t be.

Once you know how the internet actually works, you’d be amazed at how fragile it is, and that it actually keeps working most of the time. BGP isn’t an authenticated protocol. Pretty much anyone who’s registered can claim to handle any IP they want. I’ve seen companies taken offline because someone elsewhere stole their IPs for a while. Or something like https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/china-europe-mobile-traffic-telecom-mobile-data-hackers-a8953786.html
It’s held together with spit and baling wire.

There’s a few companies with handle the backbone of the internet. Like level 3. If a lot of people in a country seem to have problems, it may be with one of them. A site like the one below can be worth looking at.

or
https://map.internetintel.oracle.com/

5 Likes

It’s true that many internet connection problems can happen anywhere in the chain of links between your PC -> ISP -> various hubs -> Games ISP -> Gameserver, and those are as beyond the game company’s control as they are yours.

However, game companies do control their own netcode, they do occasionally tweak that, and some of them do sign up for various “internet filtering” services intended to protect them from certain types of web attacks, spam etc. So just saying “it’s the internet, the company can’t do anything about it” is not actually the only answer.

Particularly in light of recent chat problems and no-downtime experiments, I wouldn’t be surprised if CCP was attempting a few changes on their end. The smart approach is to diagnose your connection first, then the full internet path to the servers, then report your findings to CCP in case they actually are fiddling with things on their end and need to see the results.

1 Like

This is normal after patches or “fixes” or updates, once it stops there will be about a week of no problems and THEN…Patch, fix, or update and the cycle starts again.

I’d said that for a reason :smiley:

And you’re entirely right, CCP do have DDOS filtering available. It’s not always on, because that does have significantly negative effects (just how that kind of thing works.), but it’s available to them when they need it.

It’s just when people say that their internet is fine, except for CCP, it may not actually be the case. And I find this stuff interesting, and wanted to educate a little. (It’s related to what I do at work.)

2 Likes

While not relevant for earlier disconnections, it may be relevant for last night

and then

3 Likes

Eve’s a little more vulnerable to network issues than many other services.

They tend to be regionalised, rather than sending everything to a single location.

Today I’m experiencing Lag in the game.
I restarted my fiber optic modem, it didn’t improve.
I started the VPN, it didn’t improve.
I have not noticed a problem with other websites or services on the internet.
Only with EVE Online Game Server.

1 Like

That sounds like a you problem. Are you on wireless, perchance?

Specify which hamster did that to you. Where he touched your connection?

But to be serious, one time i logged in and was getting socket closures constantly after few minutes. I remembered the windows patched itself, so I deinstalled the recent patches and connection was stable.
So it can be actually anything.
Including mean hamsters.

Many disconnections, sometimes more than ten a day since a few days.

Sent a ticket yesterday but I had a connection lost one hour later while I was doing a L4. Lost my Dominix because of it.

So I need to send a new ticket and they will have to replace this Dominix…

Haven’t heard any answer to that first ticket yet…

So I deleted Eve and reinstalled it completely. I will see if this improve my gameplay or not.

1 Like

Ive had multiple disconnects these last few days too

1 Like

Im holding thr hamsters family hostage, havent DCed in forever

1 Like

Having the same happen - lots of folk in comms with me are also having the same problem. Started about 3 or 4 days ago.

1 Like

Perhaps try tool icon on launcher > reset options & cache > shared cache settings > verify ? Couldn’t hurt.
Probably is due to unpleasant hamster demeanor, though.

2 Likes

Same here comrade… Today was 2 lost connections, not my internet… WTF? Tried delete/check cache, utpdated windows, traceroute… no idea

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.