What should I do when I spot RMT (Real Money Trading)

Hello Capsuleers!

Every so often we’ll see topics like:

RMT Topic Subject wrote: EVE 1000 Mil ISK=$12.99

or may see pilots posting something similar within the help channels.

We call RMT or Real Money Trading. This is a form of buying ISK for real life money. This is a forbidden activity and isn’t allowed.

ISK buying and selling is against the Eve Online EULA (Section 6 b). More often or than not, these ISK Sellers are also linked to account hacking rings who pose a serious risk to the security of your EVE Online account.

We all value our new players immensely, and would hate to see any pilot fall foul due to these advertisements due to being unaware of the risk they pose.

Here are some steps that you can do to help combat RMT:

1. If you are seeing this happen, stop by the Help Channels and see if there is a member of ISD online (You can typically find us in Help or Rookie Help) and let them know. You’re always welcome to also send us a mail asking what to do. If you are on the forums, press flag the post to get the attention of the forum moderators.

2. Submit a support ticket and inform the GM team of what is happening. Please make sure to file this under Game Play Support > EULA & Terms of Service.

CCP Sreegs posted a DevBlog about this on 2012.04.03: http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=28581
Here is the CCP EVE Security Video from Fanfest 2012: http://youtu.be/UG13u9KKtzE

I will just quote the tl;dr version.

CCP Sreegs wrote:

So, the tl;dr of this is:

1. We’re going to take all your stuff if you cheat
  2. Buy PLEX, don’t be a space butt
  3. We’re keeping an eye on all sorts of fun places to pull numbers and graphs from and we’ll provide them in a separate blog
  4. We love you if you don’t cheat

If you have any questions about this feel free to file a petition and ask the GMs or ask a ISD:STAR member in the Help Channel/Rookie Help Channel in-game.

Please make sure to share this with your fellow capsuleers and lets combat RMT togeather!

15 Likes

We call ^this RMT or Real Money Trading.

RMT is bad.

Thanks for posting this, it helps to know what to do. In some ways RMT is worse than botting.

I really was impressed with CCP’s reaction to the goon leader’s offer to provide in-game content for real-life cash on Kickstarter. It was a shining example of how seriously CCP takes the RMT threat.

4 Likes

He lies. It’s not love when your uncle holds you down.

6 Likes

I thought that was for a book about stuff in Eve not to get content in Eve. In this case you are paying RL Money for RL stuff which just happens to be about Eve.

Not sure I understand.
buy Plex for real-world money.
Sell Plex in-game for ISK.

both activities completely legal.

3 Likes

Yes that’s legal.

Doing the following is not Legal. ISK > Buy PLEX > Sell PLEX for real World Money, or even just skipping the PLEX and going streight to ISK > Selling ISK for IRL Cash. Both of these methods is not allowed. Doing either one of these is considered RMT (Real Money Trading) and is against the EULA.

It will destroy eve economy … i understand and will report any suspicions regarding the matter

A lot of botters do the RMT thing. RMT is bad mmmmkay.

thats right kids, CCP wants you to buy their ISK instead… for a slight premium that is. :smiley:

8 Likes

Slight? Your too kind :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No it is not, it really is not.

“RMT is more often than not linked to account, hacking”. Proof please. RMT would be mostly harmless without CCP’s long standing bot addiction.

Imagine buying a car and then 5 years later deciding to sell that car but the car company comes and takes the car away from you because 2nd hand cars harm the sale of their new cars.

Imagine the car company justified this by saying but yeah some 2nd hand cars might actually be stolen and also we don’t allow the sale of 2nd hand cars. You now understand CCP’s stance on RMT, only because this is a mostly irrelevant video game and no one has bothered to take CCP to court in the west for this do they still get away with it. Digital goods will soon be statotory right protected soon enough.

Please don’t bot, we might ban you, well for a little while.

2 Likes

So if I want anything for the game I go through CCP. Got it o7
thanks for the info thread.

so sceeming and scamming is okay and encouraged but when it comes to money out of eves pocket its a nono what a joke

2 Likes

Scheming and scamming are in-game activities that are a result of Player versus Player activity = something a player can always do some research to avoid.

Cheating is just plain breaking the rules - whether RMT or botting (usually to support RMT). There are perfectly safe and valid ways to turn your real world money into ISK (buy PLEX, sell for ISK on in-game market).

1 Like

I have removed a large number of off topic posts from this topic and issued warnings as a result. I have closed this thread for future posts. Needless to say, any account caught RMT’ing will be subject to everything set forth in the EULA and whatever CCP decides. Thank you.