Why am I terrible at PvP?

Lulz. Always be ready.

Almost certainly one or more of the above is the cause.

Its why people fleet up, swarm a target with small, cheap, high dps ships.

Well to get good at PvP,and yes I am hinting solo and microgang here you’ll have to do alot of observing and learning.A truly good player will know roughly how an enemy ship is fit by knowing the current meta,by knowing by memory that ships traits and capabilities,one glance at the enemy ship he’ll know the weapon type and tier be it t1,t2,faction,by the enemy speed he’ll deduce if the pilot has certain implants,the list is quite long. My best suggestion would be to start off in a wormhole group that is small build up your skills and then move up the chain to better organised groups and avoid nulsec PvP under a large nulbloc is either slave labor or mindless ‘welping’ for ‘fun’

Or just make swarming with cheap high dps ships your specialty by bringing all those alts and ganking freighters.

Hi, I think I know you from somewhere? I am pretty good at PvP. Here are some tips.

1. Make sure that you don’t get nervous while you are fighting… If you get nervous, you don’t think straight and you might make bad choice.
  2. Test fittings and memory on the test server. Getting used to how modules feel and when to use them takes practice, you can do this on the test server (singularity) or on the main server if it is an inexpensive ship/fit.
  3. Don’t lose will to fight. You get ganked a lot, most of my deaths are from getting blobbed/baited, it happens and you will get good fights, it can take time though.
  4. Don’t worry too much about how your killboard looks, most people don’t care besides you, and if you do. When you get podded it counts as a loss. I let myself get podded almost every time… https://zkillboard.com/character/95420119/
  5. Start PvP in gangs if you want to get into solo. Start doing PvP with a group of friends. And as you get better start to go out solo.

I am down next week if you want to do another roam.

My personalized advice, following closely to some that has been said, start with groups. Yes they can mentor you and yes that knowledge is invaluable, but honestly, nothing prepares you better for the death of a thousand cuts than to participate in the cutting of some poor hamstrung beast.

In speaking with new players and rookies, they often fall into the “bigger is better” or “more isk than sense” category, forgetting entirely the proverb that david had no issues slaying goliath with a simple rock.

You might fit out a ship, both big and bling, and think it’s insanely tough. And it may be. But it still has a weakness, and that weakness will get exploited by someone who knows what that weakness is. You may have been fine solo, but nothing can really prepare you for just how fast your ship will pop when you get ganked.

Ok why are you a terrible PvP? Well lets take a look.

Ok on a first pass of your Killboard you have not done enough practice of the basic skill set that makes a player good in PvP. Your ship choices tend to be quite large and rather slow. You also seem to stick ships with a Missile based DPS. These two choices are not teaching you about two key aspects of EVE combat Range Control and Positioning. Without learning those basic concepts you will always feel that you are not doing well.

So how do I suggest fixing this.

Firstly a good active corp with a solid voice chat that will take you through the elements of a fight.

Then the 20 Frigate challenge. Get 20 of the same Frigate, preferably a Turret based DPS Frigate something like a Merlin would work perfectly these 20 ships should not cost you more then 200 million isk in total. Now take these ships and go into novice fac war plexs, and use your Dscan to control the fights you take. Try to get one on ones that will allow ou to see the changing numbers in your overview. The entire fight can take place just in your overview once you start to get an eye for this.

If you are in need of more help after this please feel free to get intouch with me and I will be able to help you out.

1 Like

You’re playing.
Don’t play. Execute.
Stop listening. Start watching.
Do you think this is some sort of game?

Margins are miles?

1 Like

If you were learning to drive, would you start in a sports car? Trying to pvp in large or expensive stuff at first just means you’re going to lose large or expensive stuff a lot. Frigates around the faction warfare zones are the best way to get used to it and get you understanding why you die and how to (sometimes) not die.

Oh and maybe eventually it’ll teach you that Eve pvp isn’t just orbit-target-pew. :wink:

This is the most solid piece of information I have ever received. Thank you :pray:

3 Likes

If you finally take the fw advice. Which I also recommend as I did it also.

Most pvpers in low sec will share knowlege if you ask questions.

Ask your opponent what you should have done to win the fight.

Ask fits, people share them.

And if you win and the opponent comes again, do not take the fight, he will have changed the fitting only to defeat you :).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.