"Wreck Their Dream" Makes New Players Leave

If you say so, Twijn.

But you can quote no research to support the view that a magic number of players leaving the game are doing so for the reasons you cite.

What motivates the company (CCP) seems to be the net number of players and, importantly, the amount of money they’re willing to spend in pursuit of their fun. They understand - as do most adults - that you win some and you lose some. The exit of players from EVE is not, in my view, anything for me to be concerned about.

As for your hand-wringing about the manner in which the game is presented to new players; I think you obsess too much. The advertising is cleverly slanted so that the weaker sort aren’t frightened out of their my-little-pony wits, but are encouraged to dip a dainty hoof into the mire of New Eden.

Spot on, I say.

Finally, a light of hope in the tunnel.

1 Like

“Wreck new players’ wrong expectations”, via wrong advertising, would be worse, and I even think that’s already happening.

I don’t see a link between showing EvE Online as it is and low new player retention. There could, at most, be a link to poor “attraction”. If new players are unaware of what they’re getting into, are unfamiliar with the nature of full on open world pvp, then their retention rate will stay stable (and low). Not even a new tutorial will make significant changes to the new player retention.

Changes made to the game in general are likely more important to the overall (new + vet) retention than any other game related aspect.

WOW, 76 posts in this thread already. It’s kicking arse!
Definitely hit a nerve.

“The fault lies not in our stars but in ourselves” - ancient Earth poet.

Maybe with so many people apparently not understanding (so you say) what you mean, maybe you should re-state it more clearly and briefly? :thinking:

5 Likes

I have hitherto addressed you in reasonable fashion, and fully, Twijn. I’d appreciate it if you would do the same for me.

The problem lies - as it often does on the forums - with a less-than-solid grasp of the subject/s you have raised.

I posted responses here because I wanted to help you understand your topic, and perhaps so that I could get to the crux of it all, too.

I’m not the only responder to be somewhat bemused by your rambling approach to a serious discussion.

Calm down; have a cup of tea and a scone. Relax.

1 Like

I did. You don’t think this ideology is good for the game or make players want to keep playing. But it’s the exact ideology that does keep the game going.

Eve fills a niche in the market. It’s not for everyone but it’s one of if not the best for those inside that target market.

And with that…

walk-away

Nah, it’s much more fun to succeed against the odds than to be gifted a win.

3 Likes

Please stick to the topic of the thread, and try to keep up, will you?

No one has talked about being gifted a win… I don’t know what part of your body you pulled that out of and I don’t wanna know, thank you.
Please read the OP ( yes, again ) and try to understand it.
Thank you.

What a shame. You’re part of the few who understands what the thread is about.

Which is offset by the countless Corps out there that will take you in. Provide you with free ships, skill books and BPC’s………….teach you mechanics and support your learning as well as organising roams and creating content.

For every hostile group out there ……there is a helpful one.

You mentioned ‘illiterate members’, Twijn. It’s your thread; I was responding to what you wrote.

Who are these illiterate (can’t read/write) members, Twijn? Do pick them out for me.

I agree with the poster above. Please edit your original post to make it less of a dog’s dinner, removing off-topic remarks, like:

You also said, at the end:

…which implies that you thought you could flounce out the door without our good and dedicated forum-warriors detaining you for even a moment. You thought wrong.

Perhaps you’re used not to being challenged about the content and presentation of your views. Perhaps it is that which is responsible for the salinity of your responses to our perfectly reasonable comments, Twijn.

Put down the coffee and pick up the pen!

1 Like

Oh wow… a thoughtful response and on topic too. I’m impressed.
Yes, what you say it nice and true.
But what if I want to manufacture my own ships and ammo?
I don’t want handouts.

Yes that’s all nice and stuff but you’re still off topic.

Newbie friendly industry corps exist. Like I said quite often they can provide the BPC’s you need for free or for a discounted price to make you more competitive.

Post in rookie chat in game. Or post in the recruitment forum in here.

Good friendly corps exist but do sone hone work because this is eve and sone corps……… well they arnt quite as good.

Recruiters are everywhere in eve. Ask questions of them and if it sounds dubious it probably is.

…Then a moderator will soon be along to put it right!

I think I’m beginning to see where you’re coming from, Twijn. The answers to all your doubts and concerns are readily available through various routes, as Etch is currently pointing out to you.

I hope it helps.

:heart: ( ran out of heart from this tightwad forum )

So join a corporation and play with others to attain my goals… okay but
What about the original OP that says “… makes new players leave…” ? Do you agree? Do you disagree and why?

1 Like

You were replying to a comment about guaranteed wins. I don’t like guaranteed wins, they are boring.