PSA: Project Awakening

The article you linked…

1 Like

We have been co-developing games with players for over 20 years: by making the Carbon Development Platform open source we are now taking the next step in this journey. Our vision is to open up game development to everyone. Whether you are a player, a developer, or a programmer, we want to empower you in building virtual worlds.

Blockchain is a tool. No biggie.

It’s when you use it for nefarious things like NFTs that there’s a problem. So what nefarious thing is CCP using it for?

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

Ok but the carbon engine is pretty old, i’m not sure why anyone would want to use it over say, UE or even, god forbid, unity

Both of those are far more robust in terms of development tools, seems like an odd time to start open sourcing things

looks like its some sort of add-on to unreal.

i see the carbon you are talking about but UE has some sort of add-on for it. I think thats what it is.

lol. I think you’re kind of demonstrating that you’re just engaging in pointless whine.

You have literally zero evidence for this claim. What you say might be true, but we know very little about it other than what CCP has said about it, and they’ve said it will be entirely separate: funded by outside sources, entirely separate team, ect.

The main benefit in my eyes:

A distributed ledger allows the game to exist even if CCP dies. In most cases, when the developing company folds (or makes the decision) the online game ceases service.

If you want to actually listen to what Hilmar says about it, rather than just engage in pointless speculation, I encourage you to actually listen to him.

2 Likes

Why?? It is a business opportunity. It is paid for, can maybe help devs understand and figure out what they haven’t thought of before, it’s good training opportunity and CCP can still continue working on the future of EvE.
There are a lot of employees at CCP. Several projects can be handled without productivity loss on any of them. It’s not a mom’n’pop operation.

It’s a non issue. Thanks for the info and the vid.

1 Like

Why are participants required to sign a NDA?

You could have looked up the answer in the time it took you to post the question.
How NDAs Work and Why They're Important.

The people working at CCP are not some genuineness who have thought of something no-one else has.

And you also need to build hype around your game so if you have reached the playtesting stage and you keep the testers under NDA you are not helping yourself.

1 Like

The truth is probably a „managing your manager“ situation. When Hilmar gets involved and casts his Eye of Sauron on something, he deals massive collateral damage to that whole area. This destructive energy is not one time, and has to go somewhere.

For example, there’s reason to believe he sat down to read Cixin Liu‘s Three Body Problem and saw the Trisolarians in the novel and went, „that! That’s what Eve needs!“ The result is a faction that is only half baked and with zero new lore since release, so big basic holes remain (sorry Triglav roleplayers), and no follow through (see: Scarcity era & Uprising & Havoc all completely ignoring Trigs).

There’s also his deep disdain towards third party developers. He is on record in interviews stating he views third party developers as a „drain“ or „cost“ to the game. Those with long memories may remember part of the Summer of Rage was because he wanted to force all third party apps like PyFa and evemon to pay hefty fees for API access. This was a time when the fitting window was solely a place to put on or take off modules; no simulation mode existed, and to see the stats of your ship you had to repeatedly keep right clicking and „show info“.

Enter blockchain. Perfect for a side project that won’t have collateral damage to the main game itself. It also has the alluring promise of having devs pay for gas to use an API. And it’s unlikely to be achieved.

A perfect project for someone who is managing their manager to distract Hilmar with, and if it just costs a couple of Eng headcount for some time then that’s not a bad tradeoff, it could be worse.

You don’t know that.

Wrong. A game company can generate interest without compromising their intellectual properties.

Standard practice in all industries when developing tech.

They also put the Vanguard playtesters under NDA, but then when the game was released a couple months later it was lifted. Do you think Vanguard has something that needed to be protected by NDA? Do you think anyone could have copied Vanguard and released it in the time between the playtest and the release? Of course not.

The NDA is just a silly thing they do

It doesn’t matter if it’s ground breaking or not. It’s standard practice.

Also, Vanguard is still in pre-alpha, it hasn’t been “released” yet.

Quite frankly, I’m surprised it’s not still under NDA, because silly people keep bashing it thinking it’s a released product. It’s not. It wont be a released product for at least a year. And it’s quite possible when Fanfest rolls around next year, they wont be announcing a release, but a beta.

They are advertising Vanguard on reddit and its also in everyones launcher. It can only be played for a few days every other month. Its a new way to approach game development. Its not free to play, but rare to play. Its interesting

Cool story. You’re free to be wrong, it wont bother anyone.

The game is released, but there is future content planned just like most other games, but unlike most other games Vanguard can only be played for a few specific days every other month

lol. Sure kid.

And I’m guessing “released games” are referred to as “play tests” too.

They just call it a play test to protect themselves. Its political tbh.

Do they still call the next EVE Online expansion “Q2 Expansion”, Q2 starts next month

There is the clue that that CCP is taking resource from EVE online to use on Vanguard and or Project Aweakening. Because nothing has come out yet, not even a name, for the next EVE Expansion which is supposed to hit in 2-3 months.