Remember the "dedicated balance team" ccp promised last summer? CSM member reveals ccp ***canned it

The outcome was obvious (and would be easier to see if one doesn’t decide to nitpick uselessly). The burner community is small and the drifter community is non-existent save for ONE group that runs drifter wormholes (They are mentioned in this thread about tanking drifters).

As for proof regarding the incursion assertion, You can gather this yourself via dotlan maps and looking at the statistical dips in npc kills when incursions were introduced (November 2010). People tried incursions, and quickly abandoned them. a few years ago there was a post by CCP quant expressing surprise at the fact than at most on any given day only 1.5% of logged in players would participate in incursions. Another post mentions the fact that almost 20% or so would run missions and even more would mine in the same time frame.

(I don’t have the source saved but the general gist was saved by a poster I actually didn’t care much for who put it in his signature thinking it made a point…that it did not lol. You can read that sig here.)

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

The point of it all is that is something Yiole Gionglao alludes to a few posts up about coffee. Bottom line is that people are horrible and understanding what they want.

In his TED Talk on spaghetti sauces, Malcolm Gladwell argues that the food industry made a big mistake asking people about their preferences and conducting focus groups. Gladwell says that “The mind knows not what the tongue wants. […] If I asked all of you, for example, in this room, what you want in a coffee, you know what you’d say? Every one of you would say ‘I want a dark, rich, hearty roast.’ It’s what people always say when you ask them what they want in a coffee. What do you like? Dark, rich, hearty roast! What percentage of you actually like a dark, rich, hearty roast? According to Howard, somewhere between 25 and 27 percent of you. Most of you like milky, weak coffee. But you will never, ever say to someone who asks you what you want – that 'I want a milky, weak coffee.’”

In this context, you can see PVE players do the same thing. PVE players tend to ask for ‘more immersion’, ‘better pve’, ‘dynamic pve’, ‘procedural generated PVE’, ‘more interesting AI’, ‘group content’ and the like.

But what they DO is mine, and run missions, do exploration and farm anomalies even though this game has added since 2009 (me takes deep breath):

Incursions
Drifters/Drifter Wormholes
NPC Mining operations
FOBs
Sotiyos
Resource Wars
Clone Soldiers
Burner Missions

Me? I’ve embraced my “weak, milky” nature. I farm anomalies and run non-burner mission and feel no need to lie about it…

5 Likes