Remember the "dedicated balance team" ccp promised last summer? CSM member reveals ccp ***canned it

Because they both suffer from the same issue, lack of development time. Although the PvE argument is that the development that has been done has been a waste of time as it is not the PvE that the players want.

But, yeah the impression from the OP is that balance has not had the development time it was promised to have.

3 Likes

No no no … facepalm

The new PvE with smart NPCs is much harder … but the rewards are much worse … and CCP makes the conclusion that players dont do the new content becuase they dont like hard PvE? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

3 Likes

We already have instance areas, just look at incursions, fobs, and Sotiyos. If your not part of the fleet and not part of a massive blob best bet you’ll live for like 4 second tops.

1 Like

Proper reward scaling is definitely an issue. The FOBs seem to have this problem as badly as the pirate Engineering Complexes do (200 people go out to hit the site, maybe 4 get rewarded? And the FOBs just scale that down a bit, near as I can tell).

1 Like

Those aren’t instances. Instances would be ‘if you’re not in the group, you don’t go to the same place that group went’.

1 Like

I know. It boggles my mind how there can be a “right choice” for an dynamic AI at all. Yes, they have to follow and work by certain parameters but that you can finish these shipyards with 4 titans is kid of ridiculous. But then again, it also makes sense when you take the rewards into account.

We don’t need a fancy new AI. The old one fits its purpose just right. (Shoot them, kill them, loot them, profit). IMO we need more diversity. More different missions, sites, etc.

Why can’t NullSec sites be modular. Just let every site have one or two acceleration-gates, so that afk players cant farm them indefinitely without getting to the next stage. Also every stage should be random, for example. First stage has 2 normal waves, the next one could be similar to a DED pocket / have scramblers and so on. That wouldn’t be so hard to implement i think. One core mechanic for putting them together and then insert a pool with some parts of already existing sites. Done.

This could also work with missions. The goal of every mission could stay the same, but there should be a chance to “get off track”. Like an appearing problem, where you have to clear another spawn/pocket, collect some things to disarm sentrys, maneuver through a minefield or whatever to get “back on track”. This should be a option for getting extra ISK of course :wink:

PvE should be fun to do, and not something where you need a bot, or be afk to stay awake.

PvE is the essential step of getting into PvP. It’s also necessary to obtain money, to finance it. When you loose a ship, you shouldn’t be frustrated because you have to grind twenty missions/sites which are all the same/kind of similar to get it back. Thats no fun, that sucks, but now it’s just like that, and thats the problem.

If PvE would make as much fun as PvP does, I’m sure a lot more people would play/stay playing EvE.
There is one thing missing, and thats unpredictability. As soon as you can look every site up on the internet to see how it works, it’s no challenge anymore and then it starts to get boring.

TL;DR:
More diversity in missions / anomalies (whether Null/WH/High/LowSec)
Maybe a modular mission/site-system
Get rid of predictability in PvE

Thats just my two ISK :wink:
Thanks for reading my wall of text (or the TL;DR)

-Space

1 Like

I wonder how much time will take CCP and CSM to get it. Whoever thought about rewards for RW, for example, had really no idea how risk vs rewards is.

1 Like

Actually I believe it was a lot of PvP players saying that, most of the PvE players just wanted more missions added to the pool so they wouldn’t constantly be offered the same 3 or 4 missions.

Now if I remember correctly the old Astrometric Agents would offer a variety of missions from encounters to hacking cans in static Cosmos sites.

For new missions how about adding Exploration Agents that offer missions to scan down various stuff, like scan down a specific W-hole, find and repair a crippled ship or drop off supplies to a Colony within that W-hole and then report back to Agent. Or scan down an object a few systems over and retrieve some Data Reports. The possibilities are endless without turning it into a corp fleet operation against an overpowered NPC AI.

2 Likes

Nope. You can put your anti-pvp pitchfork away. It was by a whole range of people, over several months.

Fundamentally as a company, CCP is going to make the decision on whether or not to work on a feature based on how successful it is. If no-one runs RW, it’s going to be hard for them to commit to iterating on it. Convincing the board of a company to throw good money (in dev time) into a project that didn’t have the desired outcome is always going to be hard.

2 Likes

Yes, but more people aren’t using RW because the rewards for RW aren’t even close to in-line with the effort involved. That’s the problem there, Jin. Look, L1 RW sites are run in mining frigates, right? Literal day 1 alphas can run them (having a friend helps, but isn’t necessary). Ok, and so you get some cash and some LP and some standing. The LP you get will cover the cost of items from the LP store pretty quick… but not when you add the ISK cost. L1s, maybe a couple of hours, you’ve got enough LP for the jacket. Day 1.

But you don’t have the 100,000,000 ISK. So why would you keep running the RW sites if running those sites won’t get you the stuff you want from the LP store?

10 Likes

Haha, I may have been a little MIA for the past 4 to 6 months but before that I was very active in the forums for a lot of years. I definitely don’t remember players asking for more advanced AI that required fleet action to complete. I do remember PvE players asking for more variety to the mission pools.

2 Likes

Then we agree, because that’s exactly what I wrote above.

This doesn’t need to be turned into a PVE v PVP player thread. It’s about CCP and what they’ve done, or not, as a result of community feedback.

As for no one calling for fleet based PVE, here’s one thread from last year for example, that calls for exactly that:

There were others also, as well as threads (here and on Reddit) asking for CCP to find ways to make PVE more PVP-like so players could more easily progress from PVE to PVP.

No, those were things players were asking for. CCP just screwed it up. Bad. Players asked for missions that rewarded you for doing them with groups instead of punish you. It makes sense… running missions in a group means you make less isk/hour, then you’re not going to do them in groups.

Players, mostly “experts”, asked for PVE that used PVP fittings, so they could PVE in low/null without having to run from fights. :roll_eyes:

Part of the failure of modern PVE, I think, is under-investment. Just like you wouldn’t go to a half-built theater that didn’t have its sound system installed yet, there’s no point in doing the half-finished PVE CCP keeps adding.

The most hilarious thing is CCP’s “iterating” joke. You know, like when they say “oh, we’re going to introduce the framework and iterate on it later”. Or when CCP goes “we’re introducing a new iteration on this thing we’ve added previously” and change the color of a button. Good joke, isn’t it. Funny.

4 Likes

Sorry bro, all I see is one person, the OP, asking for that content in the thread. And then Cade Windstalker posted there was already content available in game and as the OP’s idea was ‘iterated’ upon, Cade gave very good reasons why it wouldn’t work. I still stand by my statement of seeing PvE players mostly ask for more variety in the mission pool.

Anyway, this thread has gone off rails and needs to get back on topic. I’m done.

1 Like

Yes, it’s one thread. Isn’t that what I wrote? No need to be sorry about seeing exactly the same thing.

There are other threads. That was just the first I saw in the search results. Go check it for yourself.

1 Like

At least tiercide happened for the most part which explains the current state of all mining barges, exhumers, industrials, etc. Not sure about the pvp ships* though.

• pardon the typo

“if you’re not using x ship, you’re probably making the wrong decision” <-- this statement has never been more true.

What your pveing in null sec and your not using a vexor navy? whats wrong with you.
What your solo novice plexing and your not using a worm? whats wrong with you.
What you didn’t warp into that large plex with your gurmur where they cant outrun out range or hold point against you? whats wrong with you.

A joke but it’s sad that these are sort of true.

Looking at recent assault frig changes on SISI and trying to find the logic goes something like this to me:

Problem: Assault frigs where out classed (damage and tank by T3D’s) (Speed and utlilty by pirate frigs)
The chosen solution: Making a module that makes high damage AF’s even better than Other AF’s.

Instead of giving AF’s something really unique like +25% roll bonus web resistance or +50% capacitor, giving them more control in fights.

The best AF’s before:

Hawk
Harpy
Enyo

What do all these have in common to make a good AF (Damage), what where these missing to make them better speed.

What where the worst assualt frig before:

Jaguar - Why, because its damage was horrible, It couldn’t kill things fast enough before it got jumped by other ships.

What was the solution to fixing the Jaguar: by lowering its DPS, giving it CPU problems and increasing its speed less than the rest. (I really don’t see how these changes make the jaguar competitive with other assault frigs? try 1v1 jag vs hawk and tell me you can beat that hawk.)

Result Assualt frigs in general are buffed, but jaguar has become worse than it was falling even further behind compared to all other assault frigs. I’d love to see patch notes with reasoning because I really don’t see the logic it seems all balancing is now based more on lore than logic :confused:

2 Likes

Existing purposes? None exist. As for what would I want to see? Well at this point, nothing, I stopped playing in February 2016. But back in the time, I would had liked to be able to achieve large goals with short stretches of time, like building a model kit IRL, one piece at a time. FAI, when CCP upgraded station models before the structures upgrade, I thought about letting players rebuild the stations by delivering contracts to NPCs for faction standings and LP rewards, and having their name displayed in a station log. Station models would be replaced as players “rebuilt” them, and so everybody would have a chance to leave a footprint in New Eden. This was inspired by how was built a notorious church in my city, with guild members carrying stones on t heir backs to supply the stonemasons and save the cost of transporting the stones in ox carts. So now, looking at the church, you know that those stone walls are the doing of anonymous guild members who contributed their physical effort as beasts of burden. And can figure the pride they would have, saying “those stones, I carried them on my back! This church is mine too!”.

That was just an idea many years ago. Grinding for a tangible goal and reward, rather than grind to test a new ship or a new tactic against the same missions. Without PvP advantages, purely for PvE and intreacting with NPCs.

Think of what EVE could have been if CCP just had appreciated highseccers a bit better. :neutral_face:

2 Likes