2019/06/05 - New Offer System Testing

Hey guys,

There’s currently work ongoing on a system that will help us provide players with in-game discounts and offers to help them unlock more potential at the right times in New Eden.

Right now this is work in progress but something that might become visible for a few of you on Singularity from today.

Please just close down the pop-up if you accidentally get it, and do not try and claim the offer.

Since the backend of this feature is not completed yet, you will not be able to receive the Omega offer the popup informs you of.

So to clarify, this is geared towards alpha players?

The current offer that we are using is aimed towards alpha players, however the system in itself is not. It will be able to handle any type of offer to any type of player.

What is the purpose of this feature?

It produces discount offers to certain players based on completing certain kinds of activities in game?

This is a very fancy way of saying “We’re working on in game advertising for our products and services”.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be sure to add an option to turn this off. Not only for my own sanity, but to ensure the forums don’t ignite into a ball of rage (even more).

7 Likes

Dev blog about the feature probably isn’t ready. I’m sure CCP are running the feature past CSM⁰⁰, who will tell CCP exactly how irritated some players will be if its not handled with some restraint.

An occasional ‘special offer’ is likely nothing to get too worked up about. But, a daily popup that takes you out of game, would no longer be ‘special.’

⁰⁰ (I hope ccp is discussing it with CSM. Some business features considered essential, seem to skip that step.)

Hahahaha. It’s POP UP ADS in something you PAY for? This shitshow better have an off switch if CSM are even stupid enough to let POP UP ADS into the game.

CCP, are you tired? Is that it? Can’t actually see a way forward for Eve forever, so you’re trying to kill the game?

1 Like

When the 1 hour, 30 minute and 5 minute cluster shutdown dialogs were removed and replaced with the RSS feed icon and notification that brought some real quality of life improvements to the game.

Don’t take it backwards by brining modal dialogs back into the user interface.

If this comes in and it can’t be turned off permanently I’ll biomass my last 2 accounts.

1 Like

Oh man, I would hate to get such message while not being docked somewhere and cause the death of my ship because of blocked vision… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Remember, this is a subscription-based game. If this isn’t handled with restraint, it is going to alienate your paying customers.

It’s one thing to bombard alpha accounts with offers encouraging them to upgrade like you currently already are. It’s another to pressure or annoy your existing paying customers with “offers” asking them to give you more money for what was once a pure subscription game.

I’m sure you guys know this though. Thanks for the heads up!

4 Likes

As others have pointed out, this is an extremely delicate matter. Miscalculations can not only lead to frustration and anger, but also decreased faith in CCP and the direction of the game.

That being said, I am not fundamentally opposed to the idea. I know CCP is a business, and some companies have found ways to monetize games that work for the players. For example, Warframe found a way to effectively get popup adds in front of players that they they seem to like. Specifically, Digital Extremes incorporated coupons for premium currency into a daily login reward system. The logon reward window only pops up once per play session, only while on ship (analogous to being in dockup in eve), and can give rewards that players get really excited about.

In short, please, please, try to be innovative. Try to find ways to further monetize the game that the players can at least stomach, if not get behind.

1 Like

Yeah, the login rewards are nice since they don’t get in the way, and they give better rewards to Omegas, so incentive to get Omega and keep paying for it. As far as ads go, they have space on the launcher, and making me see ads when I’ve already paid them to play is a poes move, so if this goes live will just log off and never log in again.

1 Like

Agreed 100%.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.