3D Printing of ships

Why are CCP not making any 3D models anymore…

I would defiantly purchase some if they were! They don’t have to be expensive!

Loads of people in the game are now doing this cheaply why are CCP not doing this???

I am in the UK and would love to see some new models!

1 Like

Unsure. They were really cool. Luckily I at least have an Apoc. Although I would have loved the old Mega model.

1 Like

That’s a weird thing to say.

2 Likes

Yeah, CCP. Don’t you want more of my money? I NEED OFFICIAL SHIP MODELS.

1 Like

ok lol buy some :slight_smile:

I don’t know if CCP has anyone with the time or expertise to make 3D-printable ship models, but if they can set up something like Tennogen where artists submit models that CCP can sell and give the creator a cut of the profits, then that would be great!

Edit: I also support the same thing for SKINs.

2 Likes

And perhaps stubbornly place them on my mantlepiece.

1 Like

Then obstinately take some pictures to upload.

1 Like

People who own a 3D printer are not making their models “cheaply” lol. The better the final result, the more expensive it would be, if sold.

Plastic model kits, which are inexpensive when mass produced, have high up-front costs in the injection molds required to make them. While we have thousands of eve players, maybe only hundreds would buy a model kit, or any type of ship, assembled or not. CCP’s high quality and expensive battleship models took years to sell out.

A co-marketing deal with a 3D print company is the way most game makers are doing it these days, it would be the best way to give access to the entire spaceship catalog that players want. But it doesn’t usually turn out “cheap” unless you would be satisfied by something small enough to fit on a postage stamp.

CCP has never managed to set up a good merchandise selling operation. Despite many years of players asking begging to send them good money for ship models, t-shirts, caps, car magnets, key chains, etc. It seems that they’re pretty stubborn about not being about to get into the merchandising biz. https://crossingzebras.com/this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things/

Is there any merch being sold currently? I still miss the original store. The replacement store was just super overpriced hoodies and stuff IIRC.

NVM I found it.

I’d love to have a scale line of Amarr and Caldari ships (sans the Titans, tho, cuz you’d need your entire front yard for it).

1 Like

I just went looking for 3D models of EvE ships and found them on CGTrader and Thingiverse. They don’t look very detailed, but I would appreciate it if anyone with experience could tell us how they rate in terms of model quality. Anything that CCP puts out needs to be better than the free ones if they want to sell enough to be profitable.

Hell, if anyone has a high-quality model that they wouldn’t mind sending to CCP as a proof-of-concept that this could work, maybe they should mail it to them? There have been some pretty amazing models created for the game, like the ones made by j44shipyards and bursickas.

Hell, looking at the latter makes me wonder how they could be fit into Star Wars: Armada as options for a crossover fleet battle! :grin:

That depends on the scales the makers choose to work with. Model kits for the new Space Battleship Yamato anime(s) use both 1/1000 and 1/500 scales for the ships themselves and 1/72 for the strike craft. (You can find them here)

Considering their size, I think titan models would have to use a smaller scale than the rest of the ships in order to to prevent costs for the producers and the buyers becoming utterly prohibitive, to say nothing of the amount of space required to house them.

Then we have the actual ship sizes themselves to deal with because apparently there was a “great resizing” back in 2014 or so that made frigates like the Rifter go from “747”–>“naval destroyer” in terms of size.

Not to mention how supercarriers are supposed to be supercapital ships like titans but are - relatively speaking - only slightly bigger than standard carriers.

…why did CCP stop calling them motherships, anyway?

Me too WTB EVE model ships. 3D printed, model kits, Lego, origami…

CCPlease…

Think about it, playing with 3d printed models of your favorite ships in your own room might be more enjoyable than playing the game.

1 Like

What I mean is like. If a 3D printer Punisher was 4 inches (long axis), then a 3D printed Armageddon should be like 5.5 feet long.

50551660b7d8b5a74f20cea517f525fc1cdf9714_00

That will probably require no less than five different scales! One each for small, medium, large, capital, and supercapital ships!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.