8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Yep. New players should read things like this and take them to heart.

You’ve got people nit picking over the phraseology but the way it’s written is fine. The people objecting to this - are the ones with the problem.

EvE is an acronym that stands for Everyone vs. Everyone. It’s a lot like the real world. It’s cold, harsh and brutal and no one (well … not many) care if you die.

It isn’t that you can’t make friends in EvE - it’s just that you can’t really trust them - unless you know them IRL … and sometimes even then …

Most of the other players in EvE are actually fairly helpful - they’ll blow you up, loot your wreck and then, if you ask what you did wrong - they’ll mostly tell you. Then - if they get another chance to do it - blow you up again. Just don’t whine about it. No one cares how hard you worked to get that ship. We’ve all lost stuff playing this game. We are here - BECAUSE - it’s a hard game. It’s a hard game - with REAL loss. You don’t just re-spawn when you get blown up. That ship you were in - is gone - and whatever amount of time you spent getting it - is gone too. That is - Time Out Of Your Real Life - that you spent playing this game - and getting that ship - is gone. Of course - some people would argue that any time you’ve spent playing computer games is wasted so … there’s that …

1 Like

Those people are heretic neanderthals. Some are well-meaning…but still…

Don’t forget to conclude with something about how your attackers have a much worst real life than you, and no wife!

I fail to understand how being a pathetic victim in a video game attract womens so much, but according to them that gives them a crazy success

In most cases, the only way to be 100% safe from aggression inside the game is to be docked in a station.

I suspect that this isn’t true anymore. The only way to stay safe is to not log in…

I think player retention depends on simplified ship fitting mechanics. Who in their right mind would buy a car without brakes and a steering wheel. If players had a choice between several variants of each ship that acted as a base to upgrade instead of a blank slate requiring Google searches and in-game interrogations this would be a much better place for everyone involved. Even if it is just civilian equipment at least noobs would be in space more even if they die all the time. I think one of the worst things about this game is buying a ship and then flying to multiple systems just for it to do what its supposed to.

That would mean that every ship will be 1000000 times on the market, as each player has their own preferred fit to use

Consent is not a good word here, to my mind. I think it’s unhelpful, even problematic. I think this depends on how you define consent and, too a degree, PvP!

I expect PvP whenever I undock, I’m not always consenting to it - in that if I know I’m going to get slaughtered, or just don’t want a fight right now for whatever reason I feel is valid, I’ll try to escape and not stay around for that fight. Just because you’ve attacked me, which you have every right to do and I accept that this will happen, doesn’t mean you have the right to expect me to stay and participate.

If I consent to something, I means actually want it. I don’t always want PvP, but the universe is a big, bad place and I always expect it. You have to be ready for a fight, even if you don’t want one.

Bottom line - I’m not going to get pissed off if I get attacked and destroyed, I’m going to try and learn from it. But the same goes for you if you attack me and I do a runner and get away in my book!

2 Likes

What? Consent is agree/acquiesce not “desire”

1 Like

And I consent to things I want! Why would you consent to something you don’t want, unless you were coerced? In which case, it’s not really consent in my book.

You consent to the rules, or you mustn’t play. You can’t pick parts you don’t like.
Very easy.

And you consent to things you don’t want but accept in your life. For example, you consent to go to school, you consent to paying your taxes, you consent to being searched at the airport. Look at the dictionary instead of trying to redefine stuff to suit yourself.

If I’m breaking the rules, I’m sure CCP will ban me! :slight_smile:

But EVE is a game, a game that I play for fun. It’s not real life, which is part of the point of it for me. If I flew enormous, horribly beweaponed starships around for a living, EVE probably wouldn’t be that much fun! :slight_smile:

I’ll not get drawn into chat about about Rl stuff, as this is a game forum.

Basically, I try to play EVE in a way that’s as fun for me as I can. Unless the way I play directly makes your gaming less fun, what’s it to you?

So do we all mate, but that doesn’t mean that you get to redefine what words mean. When all of us consent to risk losing everything we undock in that doesn’t mean we all like it, it merely means that we accept it.

Check my original post, I accept that risk as well. I never said otherwise. I’m not saying I don’t want anyone to attack me without asking, just that if I don’t want that fight, I’ll try and get away.

It does, as you say, come down to definitions. In my book, accepting the risk of something is not the same as actively agreeing to it happening. If the “rule” was phrased differently, I’d have no issue with it.

Game doesn’t care if you have “issue” with the principle or not my friend. It’s like gravity, demonstrably true and affects all regardless if they want it to and believe it or not.

Phrasing matters not.

Risk is a big part of what makes this game fun.

Have a nice day come again.

EDIT:

Yes of course. Nothing wrong with that. One certainly doesn’t need to take every fight regardless…but what if you have a fun fight? (even losing is winning then, eh?) Getting away from a sticky situation in a non-combat ship is also fun and a “win” imo.

Do you only play games you can’t lose?

When you sit down for a game of cards with friends do you demand to win or never play again?

Do you call your friends griefers if they make moves that disadvantage you in a board game?

The problem here is not the game. The problem is that you expect guaranteed wins even though you are making bad moves.

1 Like

can i have your isk ?

1 Like

Thank you for advise ! I’m new to EVE and the post helps me a lot.

It’s a jungle out there and I’m only a little bug ready to be squashed any moment.
Run little bug, run!

2 Likes

I’d be interested in this data as well. Anecdotally, many of the people I fly with have multiple alts logged in at one time, so 5 “players” online may represent only one human being. As such, when I see 27k online, I’ve often said to myself, “that’s probably only about 5000 people.” Any thoughts on how to actually get this number?