8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

It’s not about losing ships or “being” a victim or a loser.

It’s about players who glorify PvP, then define PvP as preying on new players and miners/explorers who are unprepared to actually give them the PvP challenge they claim to crave.

No problem with real PvPers who seek out challenges against other skilled, veteran, wealthy players … but the ones who get their rocks off killing industrialists and new players who have a fraction of their wealth is just pathetic sociopathy, and its a big reason why this game is dying.

1 Like

You can’t be carefree, even in highsec - and that’s a fact for 18 years.
If a player is ganked early, he learns this lesson the hard way. If it’s too violent or harsh for him, it’s just not his kind of game, that’s perfectly normal. Shooting ships is no sociopathy - it’s clearly within the rules.
Don’t try to change the game, learn to adapt, this way success and fun is much more realistic.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree with any of that.

I’m explaining why those who prey on new players and industrialists because they think it’s skilled PvP are full of crap … it’s sociopathy. They’re shooting ships that aren’t a challenge because they take pleasure in destroying others assets. And yes, it’s part of the game … it’s also the major reason the game is dying, the player base has shrunk because new players continuously get chased away by sociopaths who don’t want a challenge for themselves but instead want to prey on those who can’t adequately defend themselves.

1 Like

Isnt that the oficial line?: “Build your dreams, wreck their dream”. Citadel cinematic trailer.

Where is 9 rule; reember to use your credit card?

Looks like I have to be more direct: If nobody pays, there won’t be EVE Online.
So if there are players investing money, it’s good for all players.
And if you regularly subscribe, you even don’t have to remember “to use your credit card”.
So you need money to play Omega, that’s right. Or you invest time to get PLEX which were bought with real money by other players and sold in ISK.

IF only it was about Omega…
People use credit card to buy milions of SP and bilions of ISK.

Yes, and that’s ok, it’s within the rules.

You still can kill a Marshal with Catalysts, so money means content even for those who don’t invest. And it means we can carry on playing for further years, which is nice.

Useful post; thank you.

Eve is an insensitive place, there are many play styles and many opportunities. High sec could be a little safer though. My two cents about “afford to lose” has to do with finding a sustainable eve economy and that involves thinking outside of the box. The thing that makes Eve interesting is the required amount of accountability. Most setbacks are avoidable and the ones that aren’t are relatively crucial lessons for those that are interested in the game. As for beginner friendly content, that is what corps are for.

Alright, this may be my last forum post for a while, as I’d imagine what I’m about to say is going to be blasphemous.

But these rules are not good for new players. As an older player they make sense but to a newbie I remember misinterpreting these. Following these rules made me quit the game at least twice. Here are my updates that brought me back to a regular schedule:

Be able to afford a loss You can never afford a loss, ever. Peroid. No matter how small. Loss of isk = loss of time, and time can’t be bought with PLEX (but ISK can be traded for PLEX, and ISK can buy a new ship. Is that what you want? To keep shelling out real money for virtual money to buy virtual ships?)
New Advice: Fly what you want with whatever fitting you want, understanding that there IS an optimal fit for each ship, depending on the task(s) at hand. This is a strategy game, not an RPG. The only way to lose is to pay more than you want, or waste more time than you intended.

Consent to PVP There is no PVP, there is “strategy” vs “strategy”, the outcomes of the battles are predetermined by two things: the stats of your ship (which are affected by which modules you have and your skill level, both of which are based on time spent), and whether or not anyone is asleep at the switch when the fight starts. A mining frigate will lose to a combat frigate, every, single, time, unless the combat pilot has made a very serious series of errors. A mining frigate will be able to escape a combat frigate every single time if they stay alert and aware of their surroundings, and see the combatant on their scanner before they’re in range/“on-grid”.
New Advice: Part of PVE is avoiding PVPers, the PVPers are part of the environment, and unlike NPCs, are prone to human error.

Everyone can Scam, and so can you To scam, you must talk to someone first. At this point in the games history you’ll be lucky to even get anyone to so much as respond to you in game, I’m assuming due to the paranoia around “Everyone vs Everyone”. Or maybe I’m just ugly, either way no one seems very social in Local these days
New Advice: Play the game solo until you find a specific thing you want to do that needs 2 people or more, then join a corp for that specific thing. Leave when you’re done.

Experience Matters, not ISK or Skills ISK saves you time, and can buy skills and skillpoints, as well as ships that are strong enough to take enough damage so you have a few seconds to react to combat instead of being insta-killed and wondering “what was I even supposed to do there?”
New Advice: Make money as quickly as possible, buying nice things saves you precious time, and losing nice things teaches you exponentially more than losing cheap things.

Bigger is not always better Math simple, if player DPS and HP is small, and enemy HP and DPS is big, player will have bad time. Bigger is better, 100% of the time. Bigger mining lasers haul bigger loads faster, bigger hulls, bigger shields mean bigger hitpoints. Bigger engines mean bigger thrust, now all these bigger stats do in fact make you a “big target”, but what does that matter when you’re in a 1 v 1 fight? Bigger stats, bigger wins.
New Advice: The trick is not everything labeled as Tier II is actually that much “bigger”. There are indeed solo-pwn-mobiles in EVE, they are every ship that’s stronger, faster, and more expensive than yours. You can have one too, you just need a ship that’s stronger, faster, and (therefore) more expensive than other peoples. Experiment with unorthodox fittings.

Use the in-game info Setup a second monitor and google everything at first. The ingame menus have a non-zero amount of old/outdated stats and things that’ve been deprecated (anyone remember hacking/relic tools “access difficulty bonus modifier”? It’s still there in game, nothing to indicate it’s deprecated)
New Advice: Google “eve ” and filter by results from the past month/year

You will lose stuff, don’t worry! Losing stuff costs you ISK, which costs you time. Time is all we have in this world. Without worry there is no relief. Without danger, there is no safety. Without risk, there can be no reward. If your adrenaline isn’t pumping by the end of your session, did you really get your moneys worth?
New Advice: LEARN from what you lost, if someone picks a fight with you and wins, message them, be sportsman like, ask “how did you do that so fast?”. You might even make a friend

But the 9th and not mentioned rule, that needs to be added, is “Don’t let anyone tell you how to play this game, it’s for you to figure out”, so on that note of advice, please disregard everything above.

Again, I only post this because the biggest question around here these days seems to be “but where are the new players?”

They’re begin scared off, this is a sandbox game, not a career path

Well said, sir.

I do disagree with a lot of what you have said, but I especially want to point out your “Bigger is always better” schpiel. I hunt combat frigates and destroyers in a Magnate. Punching up while solo is one of the most fun things to do in this game. My fit costs about 10 million isk, including all of the drones, ammo, paste, and drugs, and it is of course a Magnate.

I guarantee that I would not have gotten as many fights if I was flying a Stabber or even a Thrasher. Smaller is sometimes better, because PVP, as mentioned, is Strategy v. Strategy. If you find an Imperial Navy Slicer, you pretty much know exactly how it’s fit. Maybe it’ll surprise you by having dual webs and beams, but you can confidently expect the MWD Pulse (or Beam) kite version. No one knows what a Magnate does, no one realizes that it gets 2 rockets and an autocannon. No one thinks about its four low slots, and no one considers its huge drone bay.

The Magnate is by no means a good combat ship, and it can be easily dunked by some lag and a T1-fit Rifter, but if you pick your targets well, you can get many kills that you would not have gotten otherwise.

If you bring a Vargur to Faction Warfare instead, what do you think will happen, you can kill those T1 frigates faster? Maybe even take on a Cruiser? No, you’ll just get blobbed to death by a lot of horrible things like Rooks, Curses, and a bunch of cruisers/bcs/other battleships.

I love people. I have conversations with as many of my killers/victims as I can, getting piloting tips, sharing fits, and complimenting each other on the flying. Really makes every fight so much more valuable.

I prefer to tell people to not get burned out. Hop in a poorly-fitted Kestrel and run some L1 missions with me or come fly in FW if they’re up for some fear. If all their time is spent grinding for ISK, what is the endgame? To invest more money into making money faster? At what point do you either fly hundreds of frigates to their deaths in glorious combat or quit the game?

Come to Hek. We are all extremely chill. Honorable duels on the undock, nice chats in local, newbros asking for help, its all very nice. EVE is fundamentally about community. I roleplay as a solo pvper in an NPC corporation, but I am by no means alone. I have a very good number of friends in the militia. Joining a corporation is a great way to get tons of early game ship donations, advice, and people who will fly with you because they enjoy it.

Starting with engaging in the first place, although I guess the Hecate would have lived easily if it had another web… or an afterburner… or a good repper… or a cap booster… or Null ammo… or another friend in a Condor once that first one died… or a neut… or didn’t engage when the faction navy was on grid and firing at… you know what maybe you’re right actually.

What if you have to lose ships to gain money? What if you profit from loot, especially as a suicide ganker? What if you get LP for taking fights, and you lose some of them simply as an operational expense?

Back on the subject of bigger being better, I guess if you have a bigger brain, that is indeed always better, so your point does stand.

Thank you for your post sir, it was a nice thought provoker.

4 Likes

Odd, it is advertised as a role playing game.

So you also think a gazelle will always lose to a lion? The gazelle’s tactics is not to fight back, but to prepare to get away quickly. OK, they don’t kill the lion that way, but as they prefer vegetarian food, they don’t have to anyway.
On the other hand you can fit some mining ships quite meanly. There’s footage of several epic Orca fights, and some juicy baits are mining ships. So if the gazelle has got some human friends around, it’s the lion who’s gonna have the bad time.

1 Like

a fairly common misconception , among newer players who’ve been ganked . why would he suicide a 2 million isk catalyst , to blow up my 200,000 isk venture ? is he crazy ?

psychopath, the term you favor , same thing .

i explain : in sports , you get trophies . some players don’t care if the other team is vastly inferior , they just want the trophie to put on their mantle .

to them , your killmail is their trophie . not very sporting , but certainly not crazy or psychopathic .

It’s also advertised as a free-to-play game, and we all know how true that is.

And you don’t even need to look that far, pair up an Attack Battlecruiser with a Stealth Bomber and see how that goes.

I like this analogy.

Look at my killboard (Flara Pediati). I am completely solo and F2P.
I really want to dread rat my way toward Omega sustainability, but that is a long long long ways off.

I’d pick the BC. Much more DPS, much more range. A pulse Oracle should never lose to a Stealth Bomber except if the bomber is AB scram TD fit and orbiting at close range, which is pretty rare.

Sure, you can play meaningfully as Alpha and more power to you for making the most of it. Still not a F2P game. A F2P game is a game you can play fully for free, but which has optional microtransaction-based content or advertisements in the case of mobile game. In EVE, you have a hard limit to what you can do and a ton of gameplay options are locked behind the paywall. Like cloaky ships, which are my preferred playstyle - I don’t enjoy the game half as much if I play as Alpha.

I’m not a PvP expert, so bear with me if I’m wrong here, I’ll gladly stand corrected and learn something as a budding SB pilot.

How are you going to track a frigate with battleship-sized guns? I run the numbers through Pyfa and a Mega Pulse Laser fit Oracle, even with two Tracking Computer II’s can’t apply any damage to an AB fit Manticore and barely any to a MWD fit one (and that’s if it turns its MWD on (which it doesn’t really need to). A solo SB would typically attack from ~20 km (point range), so the Oracle can’t apply webs to it either. This gets even worse if the ABC is sniper fit, which is often the case. And the torpedos will apply very well with a TP or two or maybe a Rigor Catalyst rig.

As for range, a Pulse fit Oracle has a max range of ~16 km + 12.5 km fallof, while SBs can hit out to 70km with no application loss and getting as close as you like isn’t an issue either when you dictate the range (you know, the whole stealth part). Another unique weakness of ABCs is the lack of drones, which are the biggest danger to SBs. It seems to me like neither “more DPS” nor “more range” make any difference here. Is there something I’m missing?

The one scenario I can see where the Oracle can fight back is if its MWD and double web fit (I don’t know how common this is), but then the bomber can just do what you said - enter a tight orbit and keep pounding, plus the sig bloom will make the torpedos’ application perfect. In any scenario, as long as the SB maintains transversal, I think it should be fine.

All the footage I’ve seen of an SB attacking an ABC ended very badly for the ABC. As of this moment, I only have one solo SB kill, which was a blaster Talos that hit me for exactly 0 damage and melted in three or four volleys. I was MWD fit but didn’t even turn on prop. Admittedly, it was poorly fit and piloted by a noob, but from what I’ve seen this is what usually happens regardless.

Again, if I really am wrong, I want to understand why, and would gladly hear your reasoning.

Always include webs and an MWD (or 100mn AB, but I prefer the micro) on ABCs. If you burn straight towards them (or straight away, not clicking keep-at-range but rather double clicking in space), you can get good hits.

This is a good point. I would use the 800mm autos Nado with XLASB, dual web, and a neut, but I have no idea how that matchup goes

Usually that’s because the recorders are the ones in the bombers and are very skilled. If you see bombers against recording BCs they usually die. I have done some tests on Sisi with this and I find that the Stealth Bomber will usually lose to a well-flown ABC.

F in the chat for solo ratio.

That about sums it up. A noob flying a Daredevil will usually lose to a skilled pilot flying a Slasher. Show someone this game and instruct them how to lock and shoot, get in a DD, walk away, and let them navigate through lowsec. Their ship will very likely die.

The more I think about it, the more I realize you are not wrong. My BCs are built to kill frigs, dessies, and most cruisers. They have neuts and active tanks. A cookie cutter buffer beam Oracle should indeed get rekt by a bomber.