A few questions about ratting

I am a relatively new player who just got a Vexor with money from missions, and I wanted to get into ratting, as it can make you ‘50 mil an hour’ in low sec. I tried going to a 0.3 and combat site ratting with drones, but it was difficult, and I had to warp out, as there were many missiles shooting at me.
I tried ratting in a 0.4 den and cleared it out easily, but I get no money, but if I go to a lower sec, I get obliterated. Belt ratting in 0.3 is ok, but my drones deal no damage.

I used Hobgoblins just because if I use medium drones, they get targeted and have to come back after 2 seconds of fighting. What am I doing wrong? (btw I’m Alpha)

Here is my Vexor fit

High
Drone Link Augmentor I
Drone Link Augmentor I
150mm Prototype Gauss Gun
150mm Prototype Gauss Gun

Medium
10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Medium Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Cap Recharger II
Drone Navigation Computer I

Low
Drone Damage Amplifier I
Drone Damage Amplifier I
1600mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Medium Armour Repairer I
Damage Control II

Rig
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
[Empty]

Rats will typically attack drones bigger than them, so if there are frigates on field and you have hammerheads out, the hammerheads will get targeted. So the trick is to first clear the field of all small rats using hobgoblins, then switch to hammerheads for the cruisers, then switch to ogres for the battleships.

In terms of pilotting – keep your range, the drone links mean you can easily stay 50km away from most of the rats so they won’t hit you as much.

You will also have to experiment a bit to find out which sites you can run profitably at your skills. That vexor should run many, but not all sites. Also consider belt ratting, clone soldiers in belts can be quite profitable too.

2 Likes

Thanks, the drone tip is very useful

make sure you are cap stable and able to constantly run the AB while orbiting what your drones are attacking, that will prevent you from taking any damage. My fav ratting ship was actually the Vexor Navy when i was in null.

Don’t forget to loot the wrecks.

Can be some good drops.

1 Like

If you are aiming for escalations, don’t do it in low sec with a vexor(no offense) try high sec instead.
Low sec ratting requires a battle cruiser if you are able to get one. And the risk isn’t worth it if you’re aiming for wrecks or bounties. Escalations in high sec will bring you more than what you are currently doing in low sec. You could however come back in a pirate BC or normal BC. I am merely suggesting not saying you should stop doing what you are doing. It can be more fun if you are ratting in low sec because you will be more careful than in high sec. You will also be playing warp with the hunter.

BC = battlecruiser

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.