A Question About Blobs

Timing is everything.

And it can be a tough call as to ab/mwd or not. As skills grow, one must constantly adapt. Your skills get better, and you don’t need some equipment anymore. Timing changes as skill improves also.

There is just direction your ship is moving and % maximum speed. If your direction of motion is within a 5 degree cone of the direction towards the target you’re trying to warp to and your speed is 75% of your maximum speed or greater, then you warp.

The direction is obvious, but how people reach the second condition (the 75% threshold) varies. You can either go faster, which is the default way to do it, or you can have your maximum speed reduced as what happens when an AB or MWD shuts off, or webs are applied.

Which way your ship appears to be pointing in space is pure eye candy. It makes no difference. You can even warp backwards if you face away from your target and get someone to ram you just right so that you meet the direction and speed requirements. Your ship will continue to about face while you’re in warp.

1 Like

I had seen capitals warping sort of at that 5 degree angle though looks more like 15 which is kind of funny to witness.

This is probably due to the aforementioned eye candy facing. Huge ships with poor agility will have the client rotate them slowly because it looks silly to move them quickly. The facing of the ship visually will lag the direction it is actually traveling making it appear to warp off while traveling sideways a bit. Server side, ships are just balls of a certain size with a vector to represent their speed and direction, but the client has to show us the pretties and so some compromises are made.

Client side, you do have a facing which affects the default direction you’ll travel in if you don’t specify a direction with a double click. (ie, you just click to increase your speed while at a dead stop), but this is not a property the server is itself aware of, nor does it care about it.

(Incidentally, this also means that your view of the universe slightly differs from that of others since you have go guess the facing of the other ships from the otherwise available information. A corp mate used to snicker when he said he saw me warp sideways in a freighter but from my point of view it was mostly straight.)

I know that everything is really serious right now but I am just going to say it to remember this part.

ships are just balls of a certain size with a vector to represent their speed and direction

2 Likes

Turret tracking is determined by movement vector, and not by the rotation of a ship around its axis. Bumping each other should have a minimal impact on tracking unless the targets are so close that a change in your movement vector creates significant angular velocity.

1 Like

Also, now we reached the conclusion about vectors, it may be clear why Python was used.

Because it was easy (full of libs to do it).

This isn’t an illusion. The warp drive can move a ship sideways, since the ship is displaced into a Durishakian null void point with relativistic directionality.

Didn’t you learn this at capsuleer academy?

1 Like

Which is absurd if you are trying to mine within x kilometers of an asteroid. You’d have to be clicking to change direction every few seconds. Thus I don’t see how this align advice can possibly be relevant to miners. It is far safer just to move above the asteroid belt and as far away from the belt landing point as you can…and just stay in one place. A tactic I have used for months on end and never been ganked while mining.

1 Like

You can’t align and mine at the same time and think your safe. :roll_eyes:

It’s all useless advice anyway to miners who just mine right next to the asteroid and ‘inside’ the asteroid arc and thus closer to the landing point. The single biggest step one can take is to mine ‘outside’ the arc and above it…be as far from the landing point as possible. That extra distance gives more response time. Avoiding being ganked is all about time.

So true.

Though any even just half-decent ganker will have a loot scooper scout alt flying a covops ship to make a proper warp in bookmark to land right on top of their target. :wink:

This is where a higgs rig comes in, they make your ship a lot slower so you can stay aligned much longer before you go out of range.

Personally I haven’t used a higgs rig. Instead, I sit still but pay attention to the surroundings. And when I notice incoming danger I start aligning, so when they land in the belt I can warp off instantly.

I do not mine in high sec though and I can imagine it is a bit harder to see incoming danger if you’re mining in a busy system with many travellers. But even there you should be able to see the flashies enter system as a sign you should watch your d-scan and start aligning. And that their ships on your short d-scan are a sign you may want to get ready to instantly warp off.

PLOT TWIST: They cannot watch d-scan, they watching Netflix.

2 Likes

But their bots can. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

^ _ ^ find out what ship is giving boost’s and you can get its range from there and then keep at range or manual pilot close enough to it to get links but not get bumped, orbiting will mess up your own tracking for sure unless the guy is going faster than you and you are pulled into a straight line but if that happens your going to pump like crazy.

Also a pretty cool tip if someone drops a dread on your fleet and he is wrecking the hell out of everything you in a frigate can ruin his day just by flying into him over and over and getting his ship to spin. Same for a Vargur in bastion.

1 Like

I think it should be mentioned (if i am correct) that you only go to warp faster then usual if your align time is higher then the duration of your propmod otherwise it will just take the duration time of the module to go to warp.

To get back at the tracking question: the server remembers your position and heading, but doesn’t remember your position/heading from the previous tick. Ergo, it doesn’t matter if you are bumping or moving, this does not affect the tracking of your weapons. Movement does affect how easy to hit you are since the calculation is done with the tracking and accuracy falloff of the attacker against the velocity and sig radius of the target.

But that in itself is a choice. That pilot is choosing to mine in a busy system. There are countless high sec systems with an abundance of Ore and virtually no one in them. So that is a risk that can be managed by the pilot. It’s not an excuse. It’s bad planning.

2 Likes