A Simple Exoplanets Project Discovery Guide

Just Detrend it firstly. It can reveal new beacons. The red marker is the correct Epoch in the sample above.

How do you see that this is a transit?

Also please allow us to fold after one submit the results. This way we can try finding the pattern and test one methods in sample images.

It’s one of the harder ones to spot, for sure (but I’ve seen worse). Here’s how I’m able to find some of these:

• I try to get an impression from the whole diagram, looking for hints of a periodical sink, marking presumed signals along the way and timing them (you can delete those simply by reclicking them). Sometimes this works best on the “raw” curve, but most of the time on the detrended curve. Detrending can dampen genuine signals from transits, but also allows to spot “hardware glitches” like the instant decrease/increase spikes (which also warp the surrounding amplitudes when detrending). So I use both the raw and the detrended data.
  • I use the zoom box in several sizes and rescan the whole diagram, again looking for hints of periodicity
  • when I suspect there is one, even if it’s a vague impression, I use the folding to amplify the presumed signal and get confirmation, repeating on other samples if necessary.
    In your example some periodicity can be seen especially on both ends of the diagram when looking at the raw curve

That being said, some diagrams are as good as impossible to analyze correctly, especially when the periodicity is lacking in the time frame of 30 days and the faint signal is only visible as “correct solution” as a slight breaking of the background noise.
Yes, it would be nice to be able to re-analyze an already submitted result, totally agree

4 Likes

It’s not a hard sample to detect it.

A good suggestion overall:

I’ll not suggest to use a zooming tool on a default diagram. It can confuse your expectations most of the time. Just use zooming on already folded diagram to adjust the period.

Always use Folding, if there is a case in which the diagram has periodic sinks, otherwise it will not help.

For example, below is your sample, where I made few addition marks:

bfc9221f0ac02576af7cf8b806fae2d70edd7e5b_2_690x262

As you can notice, there are like 3 obvious sinks at the right side with a visible period (green arrows). There are few sinks with greater gaps between them (market with yellow arrows). As we can notice, that yellow gaps are like two times wider than green gaps. Therefore, it’s very possible that this is a periodic transition with a minimal period defined by green gaps. Just mark the green sinks and folde them.

Here’s a video which illustrates the comparable sizes in our Universe and it shows the area of space to which these transition diagrams are referred, or which part of space we are analysing virtually:

1 Like