I have a dual screen setup and have been having issues with the launcher, this one took me a while to understand. Just as info:
- I play using the client installed from Steam.
- I have Nvidia GTX 970
- Using latest Nvidia Driver (445.75 at the time)
- Running Windows 10 (1903)
- Move launcher to secondary screen
- Close launcher in secondary screen
- Launcher fails to load and ends up unresponsive showing a blank white box in lieu of the full launcher.
- Need to close evelauncher.exe and QTWebEngineProcess.exe for Steam to detect game has stopped.
- Make a backup of registry key by exporting Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CCP\EVE to a temp folder
- Delete registry key value LauncherWindowGeometry in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CCP\EVE
- Launcher now starts properly on the primary screen
Disclaimer: Do not modify registry keys if you don’t know what you’re doing! Ask someone with insight first if it would help in your case!
- Thanks to the EVELogLite.exe application in the EVE Online folder I was able to determine that the launcher was hanging at ‘Moving launcher window to foreground’
- Since QTWebEngineProcess.exe was responsive during the crash I assumed it was a QT related issue and started googling around QT issues. Some of the keywords that caught my eye were; redrawing, overdrawing.
- Other solutions from EVE Online posts mentioned deleting registry keys as a solution.
- Looking back at EVELogLite.exe I saw that it was attempting ‘Setting geometry from registry value:’ before ‘Moving launcher window to foreground’
- Put 2 and 2 together I deleted the registry value LauncherWindowGeometry and it started working again.