About Bumping

What I find most interesting, is that there is a constant discussion about something that affects only a tiny, tiny minority of people no one actually really cares about. When all we, as a collective, ever do is exaggerating the impact of things on tiny parts of the population, all of the rest are going to suffer.

Bumping is fine. It is you people who are broken.

7 Likes

How bout a minor tweak in the Safely logoff option? Currently when u being locked also render this option useless, why not remove this or atleast remove the locked on by player (non-npc) , but increase the timer to 60-90 sec. This should be way easier in coding than try to write a new algorithm for bumping damage or a new mechanic.

It might not be the best idea, but it wont affect most of the gameplay. It isn’t a “get out of jail free card” when u are in a sticky situation, but at least a fairer risk avoidance to the freighters.

Isn’t that exactly what that is and isn’t that exactly why CCP coded it in the first place? How terrible a game would it be if you could just log off when pointed and save your ship?

You aren’t “safe” is someone is targeting you so why should you be able to use safe log-off?

1 Like

I said locked by player, yellow bracket , no aggression, not getting shoot , not getting wrap scramble or wrap disrupted.

It will still stop the timer when u get shot,point by players, u will still gankable.

It just stop people by bumping u away from warping or the gate.

Yes, are you are not in a very safe situation if there is another player on-grid with you and who has a target lock on your ship. Usually, that is a very dangerous situation.

I am not doubting it might have an effect on bumping, but at the cost of putting a get-out-of-PvP-free card into the game.

How is it get out of PvP Free card? u cant warp away if they have point on you and there is a timer for them to shoot u and warp scramble or disrupt u if they want.

All this talk of bumping makes me want to hurry home so I can violate someone’s space canoe…

1 Like

In lowsec, while there is no CONCORD, sentry guns are still active and attack anyone that commits an illegal act in front of them.

Those guns are an active part in pvp play and experienced pvpers often yellow box on gate and station trying to get the other party to shoot first as its better to have the guns assisting you than shooting at you (eg. You’re in a frigate that can’t survive the sentry guns, but want to engage a cruiser). Yellow boxing, particularly on gates, is a regular thing that happens.

A big part of that, is luring the other person into making a mistake. If, while yellow boxed, someone can still safe log, that whole form of play, totally unconcerned with highsec issues at all, will be affected.

Similarly, on the whole “if someone is aligning, they should be nump immune” thing, will also affect lowsec pvp. Bumping on gates is a way that smaller ships (eg. small frigate gang with logistics), can engage much larger targets like battleships. Larger ships often try to burn back to gate and rely on their tank, so bumping is an active part of keeping the target in system, because the aggression timer restricts them being chased through gate.

If a ship can just align back to gate and be bump immune, a whole set of tactics in lowsec pvp will be affected by the change.

Similarly in both lowsec and nullsec, one tactic used by fleets that don’t have a/their dedicated scout with them, is to send a relatively fast ship through the gate to gather intel about the enemy on the other side. They then burn back to gate fast and jump out, so they don’t die. Bumping is a counter to them getting back. If aligning prevents bumping, much safer intel gathering will be the result.

All changes have effects beyond their intent. Unfortunately, few people actually think about the potential negative/other effects of their proposals. They only think about a very small, very focused aspect and forget the larger picture.

4 Likes

Don’t worry about my English skill.
It is more than adequate.
It may have been the third language I learned, but its the language I have been educated in, the language I think in, and the language I use most.

If you think I am not understanding something due to a language barrier, feel free to point it out and explain your words so that I can better understand.

1. You are conflating “change” with “harm”. Whale hunters can simply use warp interruption modules instead. That’s why they exist. Point the ship, or bubble it. Bumping will still bump a ship, just not affect aligning, and thus prevent warping,

2. Unintended consequences, are, well unintended. These may be either beneficial or harmful in nature, depending on whom is in question. As “unintended”, they are unpredictable, and as unpredictable cannot be predicted beforehand.

3. Change, is, well, change. By nature, it changes the status quo, and requires players to adapt.

1- that poor argument was dismissed over and over again
Bumping is a legit tactic approved by CCP

2- you’re not Jack Sparrow, stop trying to be like him :facepalm:

3- why don’t you adapt to the current situation instead of crying for changes all the time?

4- how’s the CSM campaign doing?

Heh, you are joking right?

Nope sadly
He did say in the CSM thread he was going to run this year

Good thing thow, we got all sorts of ammo against him :smiley:

1 Like

Hei Salvos, can we help you install the game or something so you can get some experience before you run for CSM?

1 Like

This one caught my attention. Let me introduce you to a new point of view:

Do as Morgan Freeman suggests: “Stop talking about it.”

The reason is quite simple. There is a minority of people who have problems which only affect them, who behave and write as if it was an actual issue affecting many others as well. I am sure you know that yourself.

Now the problem is that they get what they want. They want people like you to respond to them and give them the attention they need. They use your willingness to communicate against you. Instead of constantly giving them attention, we - collectively - should just let them talk and see how that works out for them.

There rarely really is a need for intervention. Rarely, if ever. So far it is completely unproven that, if left alone without constant back-and-forth argueing, they would actually find any solution or consense anyway. The times when CCP actually listened to them on the forums are long gone and the sane people need to adapt to the new situation.

Fact is that they need the attention the normal people offer them. Without attention they starve and stay within their circle jerks. Intervention is only ever needed when it actually matters, and no “Main AFK Cloaky thread”, no “About bumping” and no “Wardecs will kills this game” will ever achieve anything. When their threads starve, they will be exposed as what they are: Circle jerks by a minority of people no one actually needs to care about.

This thread is as much of a waste of time as most others. It changes nothing and it achieves nothing. It does not promote discussion, as there is nothing new to be said.

Instead of having threads in which we talk about funny and great things that happened to us in the game, we let some minority of griefers dictate what we are talking about. And yes, that is the reality of the situation. This forum is haunted by literal insanity.

1 Like

'Cos of pointless posts like yours.
We know its deliberate.

Decouple bumping from aligning,
If you want to prevent warp, use warp scram/disruptor/bubble. That’s why they exist.
If you want to bump to displace a ship, you can still do that too. Can bump miners off ice/rocks and ships elsewhere just as before.

I agree
Every day we stray further from the light tho

And oh look parrot_rhoska has appeared out of the wild with his very constructive post /s

As a hard core lvl4 mission runner from time to time buildings that you shoot are invulnerable and when you shoot them you get 0 damage inflicted , if they can do it with structures then they can do it with ships.

Just making an observation, but if high-sec were given the choice then the big boys out in null would not make quite as much isk because the competition would have a semblance of a chance.

As much as he begs for attention, recognition … you should stop giving it to him. And everyone else who is not fragile, who does not live in a world where words on the internet can alter their emotional stability, should do the same thing. Just an advice.

Can we now go back on topic, ignoring side-comments that go nowhere anyway?

Yes
Although everything that had to be said already was :stuck_out_tongue: