About those arenas people wanted

… dumb

Calm down, miner.

1 Like

Yeah, I think its a case of either;

The combat system is nuanced enough, or piloting skill (not SP) is worth enough in a fight that it makes for entertaining play, and removing raw isk dumping makes it a test of those skills

Or

It isnt and SP is most important, ship fit next, knowing how to drive the ship third, in which case the arena is an engagement simulator, not any form of duel of skills.

A chap in Information Portal said limits on fits was dumb because nuancing fits was a part of pvp.

That maybe so, but the impression Ive had over the years was metas rule, so really that puts a block on low level play, even if it was to be SP limited.

not completely true, go ahead and sit motionless while your enemy is in range but strafing you. or flight in a straight line while CQC fit and your enemy is sniper fit out of your range (ive killed ceptors with 1400s that way).

there are ways you can fly to limit, but not the way ccp has shown in their past videos of interceptors weaving through gunfire.

i will say if it was 2 identicle skilled/fit pilots and they were both sitting motionless and fired at the exact same time on every cycle, yes it would be determined by dice rolls.

Not motionless - just hit approach, and it nullifies the orbit.

But we’re talking about an environment in which there’s a lack of such asymmetry. If you have a match in which one ship is a sniper, and the other ship is a brawler, then it’s a foregone conclusion that if the fight starts within tackle range, the brawler wins, and vice versa. That’s how it’s like in normal EVE, but it would be silly to run a tournament this way. If I had to guess, all matches will start within tackle range for this reason, and brawling setups will be the meta.

That’s what it will have to be, or the winner will be determined (or at least heavily favored) before any match even starts.

1 Like

Making the right decisions is the most important skill and that comes from knowledge, experience and intel.

I thought it was all about who had the better logistics chain.

Agreed.

Most of the time you have a lot of pilots ( the blob) and one guy making the decisions (the FC). So we’re on the same page here. The puppet master and his puppets. One clever and knowledgeable expert for every thousand F1 monkeys.

FTFY.

So original.

Think of that one yourself ?

Are you really so dumb that you think mining cannot be removed from this game? It adds virtually nothing in terms of gameplay. It is purely a drag. Half the stuff in the game doesn’t come from mining anyway.

still luv u ms @Destiny_Corrupted but NO!!!
@Scoots_Choco is right on that … he seems to have the same school as me and i with him on that
i loose 500 / 100 milion ships because I’m a poser and i won some undeserved isk this months , but real pvp players play on the cheap side
your ammo is more expensive than my ship is the pirate / scammer / solo pvp guy motto for years

edit:
and btw luck my ass
yesterday i fail to kill a sacri and a gnosis because of lil errors , first i try to be at 5km and bump in jita station … didn’t die but loose a easy kill… second i lost to a gnosis with 2 % hull because i didn’t turned off my afb or web and he neut me in the LAST F SECOND of the battle
real pvp is very technical and i pity the fool that think its easy

edit2: yeah i looked at you zkill and its impressive , green AF , but you look more like a ganker to me than a super risk pirate

edit3:
yeah i know arenas don’t have point web , range control, most of the good stuff
you start far away so MWD , missiles …
but anyways

1 Like

“South Korea now has the top Esports ecosystems in the world. Esports is now a multi-billion dollar industry and it is expected to grow even more in 2020.”

So. I think we know WHY CCP is moving in this direction.

1 Like

People PvP for different reasons. Here are some examples:

• just as a routine kind of thing, such as null-sec roaming gangs and/or sovereign attack/defense fleets
  • general sense of boredom and desire to experiment
  • for profit, such as through suicide-ganking, mercenary work, etc.
  • chasing stats and being recognized as one of the best

In my case, I fall heavily into the third category, and slightly into the fourth category. A long time ago, I told myself “you know what? screw it, I’m actually going to make money from this!” To achieve that goal, I realized very quickly that in order to ensure that enemies put decent money on the field, I’d have to bait them by making them think that they can win, which very often meant that I’d have to fight severely outnumbered. I’d also have to ensure that I actually win the grand majority of my engagements. When you take fighting outnumbered, and add the intent to completely crush your enemy, what do you get? You get an intense emphasis on gathering intelligence, theory-crafting, and specialized, expensive gear.

I didn’t get constant fights like players in the first or second categories up there did. But by the time a fight took place, I knew everything about the enemy. I knew their fleet composition, their setups, the capabilities of every pilot in their gang, what they had for breakfast that day, their mothers’ maiden names, etc. Then I set up ships specifically for that engagement, which usually meant using T1 ships that the enemies felt confident engaging (usually a Brutix or a Hyperion), but blinged out to a heavy degree so that it could actually survive the encounter. I sometimes even used rudimentary calculus to plot incoming damage versus tank over time to model the fight. Of course, every once in a while, some factors that I couldn’t fully account for would affect the fight, or my calculations were wrong, and I’d lose. But as long as I was still net-positive overall, it was fine.

All types of PvP are respectable in their own way. You seem like you’ll take pretty much any fight, which is like the epitome of bravery. I wouldn’t, because I’d calculate that I wouldn’t have acceptable odds of winning. I do have other characters for derping around, though, on which I do do more crazy stuff. Here’s the thing about your fights, though: they are still won in the fitting window. That you take on fights that are unfavorable to you, and sometimes even win, doesn’t change the fact that victory is in large part determined by having the proper counter to the enemy.

How is this relevant to this thread? Well, arenas are all about those last two categories in the list. Their whole point is to progress through the ranks to win prizes and recognition, and you don’t do that by just bringing whatever and leaving it all to chance. I mean you could, but you’d be defeating the purpose of the feature.

1 Like

yah you rock ms @Destiny_Corrupted
you are very knowledgeable about the game
and appear to be a super good player
the point of my post is to say people will enter arena with cazy cheap ships in search of glorry and loot
and sometimes , most dont ,but some times , it will work
not only the , drug , implant , bling module will win

1 Like

But therein lies the inherent contradiction. You’re not going to earn glory and loot by using the cheapest stuff possible, and trying to make up for it with sheer volume of participation.

You see what I mean, right? I’m sure some people will try to play like this, but they’ll just be feeders for the elites.

yes… maybe
but a crazy dude gave me a 200 mil Ashimmu fit that i bet will take some bling bling guys by surprise and them bada bing bada boom … profit :smiley:

If they allow faction cruisers, then they would likely be their own separate bracket (same for T2 ships). In which case, assuming that fights always start within tackle range (otherwise kiting would become the de facto meta), the Vigilant will dominate everything. Maybe the Gila too. Then they’ll nerf the Vigilant in the entire game simply because it’s too OP in the arena, and I’ll rage-post on the forums and quit this game forever.

@Nicolai_Serkanner ^^^

mr @Nicolai_Serkanner have a great heart
duno why people think he is bad, i had ONE fight with him in this forum and we became “friends”, very similar to the game
i hate the arena limitations anyway,ccp is dumb dumb, they have good ideas but the implementation suck , i which they just gave us access to the old 1v1 abyss arena without the stwwwwpid pve part :stuck_out_tongue:
i would buy 50 cruisers and try my luck, and have fun … but noooo … a lot of strange useless rules

1 Like

Which is why if they do it, they should do it to encourage participacion, not effectively limit it by Isk spent.