Afterburners lose of inertia

i know there’s a physics explanation in the lore to justify how works a lot of modules, i was wondering if there is an explanation of why a ship that gets it’s speed raisen by an afterburner, then lose it’s inertia the module stops (that should be kept, we’re in space !)

1 Like

@Laurane_Laframboise

The module doesn’t lose it’s ability, it is reduced. It’s faster to turn a ship in space the slower it goes. With afterburner or microwarpdrive turned on, the speed hinders the effectiveness of the module.
At least that is the way I understand it.

Welcome to the community.

i mean, there’s no air friction like in the atmosphere so the ship should not lose speed even after the module is offline.

thanks for the welcoming

Warp drives create drag, essentially. It’s why Eve spaceships act more like submarines.

1 Like

The speed itself is the effect. As long as your speed isn’t 0.0m/s it will affect the inertial capability of the monule. Speed is good to augment or close range with the enemy, not to maneuver or align.

She isn’t asking about how the module works in game but rather how it works lore wise. In real life, in space there is no friction, if a ship was outside of all gravity wells and it accelerated to a certain speed, it could cut all engines and continue “sailing” at that speed indefinitely, at least until it reached a gravity well.

Also in real life there aren’t really any top speed caps that could be realistically reached in space. As long an engine is applying thrust, the ship would continue to accelerate.

1 Like

thanks that’s what i mean indeed. i randomly thought about this in my shower and was curious to know if wanted to see there was some lore logic behind the ingame mecanics.

Lore-wise means in the game. She asked about inertials then compared it to real life. I explained how it works in the game.
Real life orbital mechanics isn’t lore, isn’t EvE. No comparison.

no, lore-wise means in the lore.

It’s true that we are way below the fastest meteors (>70 km/s)

Real life drag is created from viscosity and density of the surrounding fluid. However there is no reason an engine with infinite energy would not have an effect on the surrounding space, making it denser as energy leaks while you travel.

Well in eve planets don’t move on orbits through solar systems afaik.

1 Like

There is no perfect vacuum in space, but even if it was, by the fact you expulse exhaust gas with the engine, the vacuum is compromized.

The exhausted gas will create a high-pressure “cloud”, which dissipates, creating a expansion force that is exponential to the difference between the compressability of the exhaust gas and it’s atmosphere. This force will push the ship, but only very ineffectively, as the low pressure of gases in deep space allows the exhaust to escape elsewhere with only little resistance.

As the gas dissipates “elsewhere”, it will expand towards the low density atmosphere behind the ship, which thereby will become a not-so-low density atmosphere, providing resistance to further generated exhaust gasses, which allows the ship to accelerate more efficiently.
It also, however, provides for a situation where the atmosphere “in front” of the ship has a lower density then the atmosphere “behind” it, and pressure differentials start dragging/pushing both the gas and the ship towards the low pressure atmosphere in front of the ship.

This effect keeps in place while the high-pressure zone behind the ship is fed with additional exhaust gases that can dissipate. When the engine reduces exhaust gas output, the already exhausted gas is expanding, or in other words has a velocity and therefore a given amount of potential energy that keeps them expanding, and unless the potential energy is overcome, they will continue expanding, which creates a low pressure zone behind the ship, that will start soaking atmospheric gas, and the ship, towards it.

Inside the game, the effects are hollywood-ed, they would be significantly slower, and engine command input would see it’s result only in significantly more strategic time frame then it has in the game.

In order to turn the ship, i.e. make it’s front side face towards a different direction, control surfaces and control thrusters are used. While control surfaces generate more drag the more pressurized their atmosphere becomes, i.e. can turn the ship harder the faster it moves, eve ships primarily use control thrusters to turn the ship. The control thruster can push the ship’s heading somewhere but in order for the trajectory to adapt, the trajectory that has previously been generated by the primary engine has to be overcome.

If the primary thruster was replaced by a more powerful one, this means that the ratio of control thrust to primary thrust available to the ship is reduced, and the ship therefore becomes less manouverable, unless it uses the additional engine’s power exclusively for turning. I.e. it does not accelerate to any velocity beyond the one that would have been possible with the propulsion module that the control thrusters were designed to work would have pushed it to, and uses full thrust only once the control thrusters have put the ship’s nose into a new direction, again shutting down power once the trajectory has adapted.

1 Like

Specifically as it pertains to lore, orbital mechanics do exist, as do other inertia based systems and such, these things just are not reflected in-game

There is somewhat of a lore explanation for the space drag that slows your ship down relative to the local sphere of influence, in the form of your warpcore ‘dragging’ on spacetime

Sometimes game mechanics=lore, but only sometimes, and sometimes a game mechanic is just a game mechanic.

I don’t know how afterburners work in EVE lore, but I think of the problem of ships having a maximum sub-warp velocity similarly to having a maximum warp velocity.

There is no real problem with the idea of warp drives having a maximum velocity because we don’t have warp drives in real life to compare to, who knows what sort of physical principles they operate on. Maybe if we could build a real-life warp drive it would have a maximum velocity too.

Sub-warp drives and afterburners might be similar. They could be reactionless drives that exploit physics in a way that has no relation to rockets throwing mass out of a nozzle at high speed like real-life rockets do. The rocket-like graphical effects could just be for show, like an electric car that has an external speaker to make sounds of a V8 combustion engine.

And yet all you wrote was your personal opinion why it works in game the way it works. You all are passing your opinion off as lore. But that is not what OP asked for.

Officially there is no lore on afterburners or why space ships have speed cap. Did crawl the lore pages on the letter A up and down.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.