All exploration signatures visible in agency

Yeah, I agree.

Exploration was what brought me to this game back in June 2008. I actually liked how exploration was back then. It was a ‘Specialized’ career that required high skill level for both the character as well as the player.

Over the years CCP has dumbed down everything in this game, basically turned all ‘Specialized’ careers into easy mode for the instant gratification crowd.

It’s a shame that had to happen.

:expressionless:

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing this brief history @Tzar_Sinak, as a new player to EVE and also exploration, it is fun and interesting to see how ‘Exploration’ evolved in EVE.

Now, as @Heretic-of-Amarr said, when (not if) this change goes online, it will be who is faster to reach them. That means more trouble for my Astero and more PvP I guess.

It also means, I can sit in station doing trading and not worry about if I am missing out by not traveling from system to system looking for Ghost sites.

EDIT: It just hit me. This would be equivalent to doing exploration and being able to see your orders status, even though you are not in the same region. Right?

EDIT 2: But if all players were to race now to the site, that wouldn’t make a difference because these sites pop-up on random time. Yes? So if I was traveling I would still have an edge because I would be faster (in terms of jump) from the system that has a wanted site.

1 Like

Yeah…but it also means that the better sites will be glommed onto by more established players. Newer players, rather than having more equal chances to find something decent - already hard enough, will be pushed out of the exploration game.

Seems like a bad idea to me.

Malcanis’ (EvE) Law poised to strike yet again :
“Whenever a mechanics change is proposed on behalf of ‘new players’, that change is always to the overwhelming advantage of richer, older players.”

10 Likes

This issue should be spammed on CSM’ campaigns s o no one can say that the community likes the idea

Can someone please help me defining exploration? I feel like, when you know where to look, it’s not actually exploration anymore.

This change is insulting.

14 Likes

Plus, it’s not actually exploration, it’s more like a … rally?

1 Like

o/
My main non-pvp activity is explo.
my first reaction was the same as yours: why make the things easier? eve needs challenge and difficulty. And more selfishly “argh, my relic sites will be more frequently hacked by others, my income will be reduced etc”
But i took a breath and now i am thinking that maybe it could bring more competition and fights. I mean, eve is a pvp game, not only because of fights but also because of competition (for resources, on market etc). Explo also. If cosmic sigs are seen on the agency, maybe it could promote some encounters and fights between some asteros (or bigger ships) in some sites? i often see many systems in null sec with several unhacked sites because systems inhabitants prefer to rat or mine. Maybe it will bring more explorers to these systems? and it will induce some fights?
I don’t know. People are lazy, and maybe most people won’t travel through 10 systems because they see on the agency that there is a system with 3 cosmic sigs there. Only explo will do that, and that’s what they are already doing, so…
I am not sure it will induce a significant change

Too many maybe, my friend, against too many definitives:

Farmers will have an easier time.
Farmers are risk averse, thus avoiding fights.
New players can’t possibly compete.

Plus, the sense for exploration is practically gone.
It’s going to be just another job now.

2 Likes

It will, at least for those who know how the exploration game works. It’s not common knowledge nowadays how sites are distributed. Explorers who know have an advantage … this will be gone once everybody and their bots can see the sig distribution algorithm without even undocking.

8 Likes

If CCP insists on catering to players that have the IQ of a peanut, then lets go all the way. Just undock from station, scan in range of 10 jumps, run site, have loot magically appear in hold, dock back in station. You wouldn’t even have to leave the docking ring!

What a stupid, stupid change to “exploration”! This game needs to be harder not easier.

8 Likes

What is a one word way to say “finally becoming unlazy enough to drunkenly stumble over to exactly where someone said I left all my money in a mindless daze to scoop it all up”? Exploration needs to be renamed to that with this change. ISK ATMs, the new new emergent gameplay.

4 Likes

what happens to probes? will they be removed from the game? what purpose will they have?

1 Like

knowing that there are some cosmic sigs in one system does not remove the need for scanning them to identify them and warp to it

1 Like

Knowing how many sigs there are is certainly going to affect people’s decsions about where to scan.

Definitely have to find a term we can rub under CCPs noses.

So we ask them to change it from
Exploration
to
Simplification

5 Likes

Relaxed
Exploration
Through
Accessable
Readouts
Discovered and
Effortlessly
Displayed

Nope, too long. Still think It’s a bad idea, though.

14 Likes

I’m not sure if it is a bad or good thing, but maybe you could make a tition for CCP to stop that ?

Be sure to explain calmly why it is a bad idea.

When FOBs were introduced you had to actively look for them. There are signs one spawned in your system, like diamond pirate patrols, or pirate mining operations in belts, FOB itself on D-scan if you’re in range. But you couldn’t know until in system.

Now, FOB bashing is fleet content, if you have to fleet up and spend hours and hours looking and searching, nobody is going to do that. Barely anyone does anyway, cause reward is ship. But then they added FOBs to Agency window, now you know exactly where they are, you can set route from one to another, suddenly it is something that may be fun, you fleet up with your friends and go bashing 4 or 5 of them in one session.

But FOBs is an unpopular activity they had to add incentive for at least anyone to participate in, and it hardly helped.

But exploration, at least in my opinion, is much less about bashing or pew pew. It is mostly about looking and searching, being there first, especially data/relics hunting. And often its also solo activity. And it is so heavily competitive you hardly need to add incentive.

In Gurista highsec anomalies which may escalate to 4/10-5/10 Hideaways/Refuges/Dens it became common case to see 3-4 other explorers warp in. This is what is going to be when signatures get exposed.

Now is it a bad thing? It is a good question.

Many years ago I started my combat exploration in Omen Navy Issue. I love lasers, even if its sub optimal against certain rat. It took me 15 minutes to finish 4/10 Guristas Scout Outpost for example, and it’s a lot. I’ve seen Gilas and Cerberii making it in 7 minutes or so. So pretty often those pesky Gilas and Cerberii stole “my” sites.

Then I switched to Phantasm and now its only 5 minutes for me. And much less often someone contests or steals from me, and much more often its me stealing from some slowpoke Gila.

So what I think making signatures exposed will result in? It will certainly raise competition, and the winners are going to be a handful of specialized blitzing pros, like me :smirk: Newbros won’t have a chance to sneak in some deadend to do some sites at their own pace undisturbed. There will be 2-3 competitors every time to steal the loot from under their nose. Raising inequality, making 1% richer, 99% poorer.

When no one knows and everyone goes looking it’s equality of opportunity, and that IS a better thing IMHO.

PvP opportunities? Is solo PVE community which most explorers are the right crowd to force into PVP?

8 Likes

Hi All

I rarely post as overall, I am happy with EVE :slight_smile:

But this is just so Unnecessary, that it is boarding on being Dumb :frowning:

4 Likes