Alliance Tournament XVII - An Update!

Just to correct you here: PL never rigged anything during the AT, it was HYDRA who did it twice, for AT9 and 13. Had you followed the AT “pretty religiously for a long time” you would know this.

The last few tournaments have also seen far more fair and varied fights and a much broader range of competitive teams, in large part due to secure testing provided by CCP, leading to far fewer cases where you could know and counter other setups. An initiative by TEST with running open practice sessions also brought not only more interest from various alliances, but also lowered the barrier of entry by ensuring that participants could develop a minimum understanding of the meta and avoiding the kitchen-sink fleet stomps of earlier years.

Your comment on fat wallets is extra ridiculous since not only do the rules restrict implants and top tier ammo, taking that edge out of the equation, but they also restrict the usage of unique ships to the point where we will never again see the bloodbath of AT11. The baseline these days is being able to field t1 BCs and if your alliance is incapable of footing the bill for those then you should probably rethink your ISK making activities.

6 Likes

I would know it if I hadn’t lost interest in the whole thing after the first time. I even said I have only taken cursory glances after that, just matches of alliances I had acquaintances in. But thank you for the correction, shouldn’t bark up the wrong tree of course.

Yes, I know. I was making the comment about fat wallets to reiterate the reason for many of the rules, that it’s to ensure matches should be about skill, not which team can afford the strongest ships and fits. Maybe if you weren’t in such a hurry to defend the AT’s tired format you would have understood that.

And I still stand by my first conclusion that players ruined the AT. If people enjoyed watching and playing in AT, good for them. But viewership has fallen, and I haven’t noticed alliance tournament talk permeating chats like it used to in the past few years. And I’m not in any alliances, btw, just one of those solo players, but good job on the equally tired “stop sucking at making ISK” quip.

Anyway, clearly thinking like I did is a community metered wrong opinion since you have 3 people agreeing with you already and my opinion has no support so far.

It’s a matter of ratio and perspective.

Far more people are affected by the changes we make to the wardec system than are affected by postponing the alliance tournament while we look at how to execute on it more effectively.

It’s a matter of prioritization, and a matter of wanting to make sure that we execute on the AT correctly in future, with full intent on making it the best that it can be.

Then you can look at it another way.

If we decided to run with the AT again this year and it was a case of “same ■■■■, different year” in terms of content because of a lack of time to iterate, with the potential for substantial technical issues due to out of date tools for the same reason, the outrage around having a tournament fail in a live environment with people actively competing after months of preparation would be orders of magnitude larger than choosing to postpone ATXVII so that we can execute on it properly down the line.

It’s not rocket science, ironically.

6 Likes

If the tools are out of date, and there is not enough people around, so basics are not there, then why it would return? Will you upgrade player numbers by some different means, not running any tournee? What about dev numbers and dev tools? I am not even asking what the idea could be behind whole returning tournament.

So dont get your hopes up people.

Did you ask any of the people actually involved in this about the change? Like the players in the teams for example? How about the parties actually responsible for the quality of the show (+10)?

4 Likes

Somehow it seems like a surprise for CCP - every year - that AT is a thing.

4 Likes

and yet this is the only year when they fail to get any participating teams :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

I’m sure the parties involved (alliance tourney participant’s) wouldn’t mind if its a little buggy because of tool’s being updated to 64 bit. Also if your down manpower and its too much work just tell us…

15 years ago my corpmates in MASS won the very first “AT”, the Amarr Imperial Succession Championship. Some players hopped on to act as cameramen for CCP and the footage, together with CCP’s, was released after the tournament. There was no Twitch, not even YouTube. EVE Radio covered the event with a ■■■■ quality audio stream, it was like listening to a baseball game over the radio. Just a rag tag event put together by some passionate employees at CCP in their spare time and some volunteers from the community.

15 years later, the Alliance Tournament is a rag tag event put together by some passionate employees at CCP in their spare time and some volunteers from the community – that isn’t happening again any time soon. The community is still here, wonder what’s missing.

I sincerely hope that 12 months from now we’ll see more than a quick “oops has it been 12 months already?” post in some backwater forum thread.

8 Likes

Yea I’m sure if the community come together with CCP something can be arranged even if not all previous tool’s are accessible.

If you try to look further than reddit post titles (at least comments) then you will realize that whole this drama was caused by reasons beyond AT cancellation. It’s growing frustration in CCP’s inability to execute and deliver promised changes, or realizing that eve is actually ~dying~ (until that moment people in my corp mostly joked around it, now that you started shafting ingame events it becomes much more apparent). How dare you to promise balance changes when people stopped believing that ■■■■■■■■ years ago, after lack of activity from your dedicated balancing team, after tiericide was halted halfway done?

The best thing you could do is giving more concrete plans and commitment, or if you cannot - try avoiding filling your post up with lies, that might work too.

7 Likes

Oh god this reply makes me feel so sad…

Ah yes i still know kwoodward from that time period.
I see trigger is still running the place… ah the good old days :slight_smile:

nice.

You have to realize by now that this announcement is the same as telling the people.
Hey There is No Champions League , Super BOWL, Olympic Games this year.

If you tell people hey we had some staff losses so we are set back in like the quality that you where getting used to, please bare with us. Thats completely diff then just saying yeah feck you loyal customers.

Please just wake up, change your mind and get it going.

There is NO Excuse possible for not running the AT…
NONE…

8 Likes

Maybe concentrate less on rocket science and more on your community and you wouldn’t have so many people unsubbing. :thinking:

6 Likes

Canceling the AT and Fanfest shows you want to distance yourselves from from your player base along with killing community team some time ago. On top of this the players discontent for a myriad of problems to name a few capital ship spam,tidi,citadel system,botting,reduced server performance and list goes further.If such is the case we can distance our wallets from you and good luck with EVE Immortal

2 Likes

How many unsubs does it take to bring the tournament back? We’ll never know.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re upset. Neat. I feel the need to remind everyone what kind of game they are playing from time to time when they start crying like babies.

I would literally pay to watch the AT. it’s my world cup. I look forward to it each year. All CCP thinks is ‘‘the AT loses us money’’. When the AT keeps players in Eve! It might be back in 2020 but it could be too late by then. And many players that lived for the AT leave.

1 Like