Alliance Tournament XVII - An Update!

On the topic of community alternatives - In the wake of this announcement, Sothrasil is looking to reboot the Anger Games, and hoping for 2 consecutive weekends in summer. If CCP can support that with TD/some tools, we may see at least some form of organised tournament this year.

what a load of horsesh1t. ccp’s not some startup garage project and the at isn’t the fcking international or worlds. you don’t have to fly in players, you don’t have to rent some big ass venue, the only local things are the panel and production. even the prizes are all in-game stuff. the costs for running it are trivial for a company of ccp’s size. the truth is you sacked most of the people who did it for free, out of passion for the tournament and since the management never gave a rat’s as about it, it’s being scraped cause there aren’t enough nerds who would work on it for free anymore. how petty and scummy you’ve become, i hope hilmar chokes on a thorax. good thing my subs expire march 15th, at least i have a good excuse to give wow a fair shot now.

1 Like

Just when I was signing off to go to bed, thanks for that mental image. Nightmare here I come >.<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAjymmeYkg In the literal sense 10 T1 Thorax’s. AT 4.

or skip to 1:18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qrlc7NDqK8 and tell us how CCP’s decision really makes you feel…I love the sound effects…really brings it home.

2 Likes

One of the more out-of-touch decisions i’ve seen in a long time…

…from a pure tournament spectator - this news sucks

5 Likes

This is like canceling the superbowl…so sad

2 Likes

Speaking as one who doesn’t even much aspire to ever flying in an AT, this is awful “news”. I love watching the AT tourneys even tho I don’t ever see myself in one. And though I don’t expect to have questions answered here, I’ll ask them anyway:

• It’s obvious that the cancellation of Eve’s premier online event, namely the AT, is going to cause a significant drop in player participation. Who thought this was actually a “good” idea?
  • If cost is an issue, what efforts have been (and hopefully -will be…) made to find sponsors (Twitch? Some hardware manufacturers perhaps?)? Should Eve players set you up a GoFundMe?
  • Any chance at putting up some sort of referendum at all? This isn’t like some kind of “well, we’re thinking about suspending the AT in favor of [insert list of perks here]”, it’s a pretty much done-deal of “NO AT FOR YOU” with a vague list of what CCP is up to.
    Even just a few specifics might ameliorate some of the outright antipathy I’m seeing here (not to mention the personal disappointment) regarding this decision.

In any case, I’m throwing my hat in with the folks that’re disappointed/annoyed/peeved at this.

1 Like

I rarely post anything - or anywhere.

Whatever you may have planned to bring to the table that is effort enough on your side to cancel the AT to free up and gain 6 - 10 weeks of time for those involved resources needs to not meet but exceed the level of engagement, publicity, entertainment, any other adjective you want to label it with.

If it does not this is a significant step backward.

You should be pretty sure there’s going to be complaints and dislike. There is basically nothing to be discussed at this point.

“In order to create new content, we cut existing content”

Wasn’t the last AT already hosted by EVE_NT together with CCP?

Reasons- X
Excuses- √

No it does not make sense. Last year’s AT was a complete disaster due to poor organization. Very short time to transfer your character into the alliance, no prize ship announced, bad exposure, no Thunderdome support for very long time, strange rules that raise the barrier of participate. No wonder why people don’t participate.

Basically another excuse. CCP already had half a year since the last AT.

This is so disappointing and it does piss me off.

Just be honest and say 1. AT is not making money 2. We do not have people to do it.

I work in a gaming firm I know what’s the reasons for cutting features.

6 Likes

Want more player base back bring back BLINK. simple as that. Maybe even the poker tables.

I understand he was RMTing but CCP could easily release Dev operated version.

I am not an AT participant but I enjoyed watching it. Makes me sad that there will not be one this year. It is an EVE tradition that should be maintained.
I miss fanfest too always loved watching fanfest coverage.
I miss the community team they did a great job.

I am not going to rage but these are things the playerbase wants.

5 Likes

No disrespect but did it ever cross your mind that perhaps they are doing this precisely because the AT has become a shooting-fish-in-a-barrel-exercise for your group of 20 players and maybe another 40-50 players in a handful of alliances while not doing much for tens of thousands of players.

That said, I absolutely love the AT and some of my best time in eve was doing AT prep and I am sure they will bring it back, although it will probably never be the same again.

You should ALWAYS test new platforms on their own, to see how they perform before scrapping the old ones entirely. If the new ones are more popular, you make a shift in that direction. Especially so when the old platform you’re deciding to change is a beloved aspect of the community that’s been in place for literally decades.

This is super simple stuff CCP ho lee fuk can your team really be this bad

2 Likes

I value player events, quality of life improvements, sustained balancing (from ship balance to module tiericide), and iterating on features to ensure they’re relevant.

The message announced today is unfortunate. CCP is cancelling something that it has done consistently (the AT) while suggesting it will balance more, which is something that has been done unevenly over the years. (E.g., no dedicated balance team - of any size.) It’s a bad pairing for a message without a concrete vision laid out.

I wasn’t a huge watcher of AT, but I did follow it and, more importantly, the narratives because it was so unique. Eve’s compelling history and famous player engagement focused into high stakes, high skill combat. Seeing it go without a clear plan for much of anything is concerning.

I hope that CCP explains - clearly and honestly - what the road ahead looks like with a special eye to important symbols of Eve (which AT is a significant part), general balance, and iteration of existing features. There are so many tools within this game that CCP could use to improve it. There are so many special parts of this world that could be embraced. However, the path so far has been, at best, working parallel to a lot of that and, at worst, suffocating it.

2 Likes

TERRIBLE

3 Likes

After reading this and taking a step back, reading all of the comments, all of the reddit posts, and thinking of my own reaction… this is probably one of the biggest blows I’ve ever seen in all the years. I’ve looked forward to AT tournaments each year, wanted to fly against every single one of the teams, it was my dream to PvP against all of them at least once. Now you take away the AT to focus on ‘rebalancing’ the game. You’ve taken away the dreams of many, and lose the best PvPers in the game because of it, you lose players who enjoyed watching, you lose players who were inspired to become better pvp pilots.

How did anyone in the business world even remotely think this was a good idea? You could have put up a thread to ask the community what they wanted out of an AT tournament and took that feedback into actually creating a better AT environment. You could have done so many different things but this. This is the worst decision CCP has made to date.

I’ve played this game for over 6 years, put over 1000s of hours into this game, put more money into it than I care for. I’ve taken a couple breaks here and there but always came back, came back after seeing the AT tournaments, the environment of players, the one game where thousands can play at any given time. But, the past couple years the changes hit, some good, some bad, and yet I still kept playing, kept coming back. After today’s announcement… I’m pretty sure I won’t be coming back. To be honest, I actually never wanted this kind of day to come, EvE used to be a great game. Now… now it’s just a pathetic game filled with microtransactions with no goals, no ambition, and no soul.

It’s time to say goodbye EvE…

Cleans off the desk and grabs the filled box. Grabs coat off the hanger, throws over the arm. Takes one last glance back at the desk, filled with memories, turns around and turns off the light, slowly closing the door behind

Goodbye EvE

5 Likes

Don’t forget your loot box!

This is an yearly event. What exactly prevented you to take the “breather” in the first 6 months and then actually spend that time and energy you are promising to spend on it to actually deliver it this year at “bigger and better scale”? And it is nice it is all about transparency but you start your post with we are not ready to talk about it yet…

Sorry for you man, must be quite a ■■■■ job, to need to find the most reasonable way to distribute the garbage and lies that are coming from the people actually taking decisions for CCP.

When it does come back, bring back eve-bet or some way for people watching to get an invested interest in the outcome.

RIP eve-bet

Can I have your stuff?