Alpha State clone cap

CCP seems to have no shortage of people buying PLEX.

It has no shortage of people buying them with in game currency as well though.

PLEX costs more $wise.

So CCP gets more green if you know what I mean. :slight_smile:

It also becomes free passive income for unlimted accounts and probably a crash for the injector market.

Edit-
It occured to me you may not realise you can buy an extractor with isk off the market. Extract. And then sell the injector for profit.

The person doing it, with unlimited alphas, doesn’t have to pay ccp a penny. So long as extractors are cheaper than injectors.

Not gonna happen for the same reason alphas aren’t allowed to do pi and mine in barges.

If people buy PLEX with money CCP wins.
If people buy PLEX with ISK CCP wins.
If more people buy PLEX with ISK the players who buy and sell PLEX win and by extension CCP wins.
If people buy extractors for PLEX CCP wins.
If people buy injectors from players for ISK the players who buy extractors for PLEX win and by extension CCP wins.

You’re assuming people will buy more plex to make more extractors. But again, this is limited by how much players are willing to spend.

Even if people don’t buy more PLEX to buy extractors, people will still pay to buy PLEX to sell as PLEX.

Extractors and injectors are more for people with a lot of money to burn and not a lot of patience.

It is way more cost effective as a player to sub for a year than to buy PLEX or injectors to build SP.
But making some quick ISK off of useless SP for older players who have the time and sub for a year to make it profitable is beneficial to an older player in the form of passive ISK gaining off of something they are alredy doing.
A newer player who is impatient will spend money to buy PLEX to sell PLEX for ISK to buy injectors.
So no mater how you slice it CCP wins. :slight_smile:

But if you let alphas extract it becomes a way for anyone to make passive isk without paying anything to ccp. Injector prices crash and extractor prices go up, until they meet in the middle. The whole process becomes near worthless because of alpha sp farms driving down margins.

It’s not going to happen.

Well this topic got a bit more heated than I expected but I do see all the pro’s and con’s from everyone thank you for your responses. I now know why the cap is limited to 5 mil SP and I can now also see the greater meaning behind this cap.

My initial intention was to merely see if this was a potential option to expand the SP limit, not to completely destroy the economy of the game or CCP’s income as an ex Omega I found it frustrating to not be able to fly 90% of my ships cause they reduce you back to a pre-omega state and even though I have the skill levels I am restricted from flying the ships effectively unless I resubscribe to omega.

Again thank you all for your responses and I have a much greater appreciation for the difference between alpha state and Omega state clones.

And you can not think anything other than it can not be done?

Make skill extractors not work until you reach 25-6 mill SP Alphas are capped to 20 mill SP retention in only certain arias anyways that they can unlock through Alpha skill injectors. >>Bought with PLEX.<<
or skill injectors >>bought with PLEX by someone else<<
Or by going Omega via PLEXing out >>using ya know PLEX that someone bought and sold for ISK<<

No matter what CCP gets money.
Everyone wins.

I am an >>Amer I Can<<
Not an >>Amer I Can’t<<
Having a can do attitude goes a long way. :slight_smile:
Now start looking on the bright side and stop being a downer.

It’s not illogical but a business model that is used by a lot of games now. You get three kind of accounts/way to play:

• The completly free ones that can do some basic gameplay (first 5 Mil. SP in EVE)
  • The ones you pay some moeny on and you can use the stuff you bought no matter if you keep spending money or not. Often called “premium” or alike. (5-20 Mil. SP, some skill restirctions in EVE)
  • Sub/VIP/full membership: No limitations in gameplay but you can’t use the goodies when you stop paying. EVE only downgrades you to 20 Mil. SP but I have played games that let you only use the complete free stuff after you ended a sub.

How does CCP win if people buy plex with isk? Isk doesn’t make any money for CCP.

Because that gives isk to the player who got a PLEX with cash, making him happy and likely to buy more Plex with cash to then sell and get isk quickly.

1 Like

Wouldn’t ccp win more if both people were buying plex though?

Why would the player who bought Plex to sell for isk (presumably to buy ships or something) do that if he cannot sell it to anyone?

It also makes no sense to buy Plex with cash if your intent is to use it to sub since it’d be cheaper to buy a one month sub (let alone sub for multiple months with the discount).

The Plex market has 3 kinds of people:

1. Buy Plex with cash, wants isk
  2. Buy Plex with isk, wants to be omega
  3. Buy Plex low, sell Plex high, make isk through speculation
1 Like

There’s skins extractors and plenty of other things you can use plex for

Right… Buy Plex, get extractor, sell extractor/skins/apparel for isk? It’s kind of the same thing with one extra step.

And if you buy Plex with cash to buy stuff from the NES for yourself, then that doesn’t enter the market.

The point I was making is that people who buy Plex with isk are the main reason people buy Plex with cash to sell for isk. Without them, there would be no market for Plex and nobody would buy it to sell on the market. That would be a large decrease in Plex sales as selling for isk is likely the main use of Plex by their first (cash) buyers.

Ok ok, I’ll accept your statement. Back to the OP’s topic though, if the skillcap was increased there would be a lot less people buying plex since they can just train to 20m sp without using plex right? So again, there’s no benefit to CCP for increasing the skillcap and it should stay as is :smiley:

This is true, but is still limited to how much a player is willing to spend.

If alphas can extract there will be a massive surge in the extract/inject market. It would not be met with a similar surge in plex.

Yup, I agree with both of you. The current alpha state is more than enough.

Especially since you can just create another character (or account) to train another 5M SP for free to try something else, there is really no basis for complaint. Getting bored of your gallente drone boat alpha? Start a minmatar gunner character, or a caldari missile shooter, etc. 5M SP is quite a decent amount if you specialize in one thing. If you create them all on separate accounts (and accounts are free, so why wouldn’t you?) you can even train them all at the same time!